American Income Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,078 Interview Reviews

1.8

Benefits Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Earth City, MO

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at American Income Life (Earth City, MO) in April 2017.

Interview

Received a call from a lady telling me "Our hiring manager reviewed your resume and wanted to know when you could come in for an interview." I had to ask her what company she was with, what they sold/provided, and what the position was. She said the company was "American Income" and the position was "Benefits Representative". Then she asked if I could come in for an interview at 10am the next day.
    I asked what the duties of the "Benefits Representative" were. She said "Answer questions from union employees and make sure all paperwork is filled out and completed." I asked "That's all?" and she replied "Yep, that's it!" and I agreed to come in. She ended the conversation with "Now, make sure you come dressed 'business professional,' so no jeans or tennis shoes," which seemed pretty condescending. Of course you're going to wear a suit to a job interview.

Do they get a lot of people interviewing in jeans and tennis shoes???

Apparently so...I walked into a lobby full of diverse-looking people and thought "I'm the most professionally-dressed person in the room." The receptionist took my resume and references, then had me fill out a form. All of the information asked for on the form was ON MY RESUME. I hate having to fill out redundant paperwork. Why create a resume if they're not going to use it?

I was taken into a nondescript office by an individual who said his position was "Benefits Director" and he said that was the position I'd be interviewing for. I felt like I'd been moved up in importance from "representative" to "director"! In the TWO MINUTE INTERVIEW, he asked why I'd left my former job. Then, upon hearing my answer, decided right there that I was AIL material and ushered me into the meeting room...with twenty other people. ***By the way, I asked where their hiring manager had found my resume and he said he had no idea.***

An important-looking individual gave a stellar presentation. I asked the lady next to me what she was interviewing for and she said "Benefits Director/Representative" as well. Soon we found out that it was LIFE INSURANCE SALES. As soon as I realized this, I wanted to walk out. It was clear they'd gotten us there under FALSE PRETENSES and that their intent was to DUPE AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE in the hopes that a few would be dumb enough to accept an offer.

We filled out tons of paperwork and questionnaires, ending in a short 6-question summary, number 6 being "If offered a position, would you accept?" I decided to say "yes" to see what came next. The individual tried to call me around 6pm that night, but I didn't answer, having thought what a complete waste of time he had represented. I was tempted to call him back and let him know I figured out their FRAUDULENT and UNETHICAL method to dupe job seekers into coming in to interview for one job, only to find out it was something else completely. But I didn't want to waste any more of my time.

Do NOT fall for their tactics. They are looking for WARM BODIES with NO ETHICS to peddle their product to union members.

Enrollment Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Income Life.

Interview

Applied online to a posting that made it seem like it would just be doing basic data entry for reporting and records. It was nothing like that. That posting was for P&Q Partners, not AIL. I didn't even know it was related to AIL in any way until the interview.

I got a phone call from their receptionist or someone (that was never made clear) asking for my availability for an interview. Upon reading off my availability, they say it has to be a certain day, so I'm not sure why they even asked for my availability, and they wouldn't let me call back after looking at my schedule because "he is a very busy man." Whoever "he" is was never made clear to me. I agree to that day, and she says "Ok, see you then." and tries to hang up. Luckily, I got her attention before she could, because I had no contact name, address, or even a time to arrive for the interview.

So that seemed a little weird to me, and I began looking online for information about P&Q Partners. Only returning a website with next to no detail and thirteen 5-star Facebook reviews (half of which were very clearly from family members of one of the managers at P&Q), I still thought it was a little sketchy. I couldn't find any info on Glassdoor, BBB, local chamber of commerce, etc. about this P&Q Partners company. Trying to stay optimistic, I soldier on to the interview.

The interview wasn't an interview. It was 15 people showing up at once, random people from throughout the office taking them to meet for 5 mins and FINALLY say they're a subsidiary of AIL/Torchmark. Oh, and they made sure to namedrop Warren Buffet being their largest shareholder about once a minute. They didn't ask a single question about my resume, except where I lived.

At this point, they finally let on that it's a sales job, which was not what I applied for. Not only is it a sales job, it's a sales job selling insurance products to union members, truck drivers, coal miners, etc. It's a sales job that basically tries to scare people who already struggle financially into buying some other insurance product for $50/month to protect their family should they die. I don't know about them, but I have a moral objection to profiting off of people who already struggle financially.

Anyway, after the 5 minute "interview" they herd you like cattle into a classroom setting for an information session about the job, which they go more into detail about their shady tactics, making me think more and more it's multi-level marketing or something else in that questionable area. There was way too much mention of how much money you can make, and not enough mention of it being a rewarding profession (probably because you'd feel slimy preying on poor people) or even benefits available for my comfort. It really seemed like a bunch of sleazy salesmen with moral compasses so messed up its a wonder they found their way to work every day.

After an hour of that, and filling out a personality profile, it was over. They say their plan is to call the four finalists from that group the very same evening to invite them back for a second/final interview (which they did invite me to, but that's beside the point).

Now that I had more information, I was able to find more reviews on the company from people who had previous gone thru the interview process, been misled, and/or worked there for a certain amount of time. And there were a few common themes in the reviews I found, which I can't corroborate as I don't work for the company. Those themes are as follows:

- you're on your own for training (laptop, car, phone, licensing fees)

- if you get an enrollment, they pay you commission up front on 12 months worth of payments (i.e. if you make $50 per month on that enrollment, you get the $600 up front), but they don't tell you that if that person cancels their plan, you owe the difference out of pocket.

- you won't be able to get past the first 3-6 months unless you have a large amount of savings already and/or the ability to work 75+ hours per week.

- they say they pay weekly bonuses, commission, etc but multiple reviewers said they didn't see any income for the first 6+ weeks.

- most people quit in the first month.

In summation, based on the strange interview process, shady website that doesn't advertise the actual employer, misleading job posting, and poor reviews (once you finally have enough info to find this company), I would not recommend this employer to anyone. Trust is the foundation of any relationship, and this one was misleading and cunning from the get-go.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Austin, TX).

Interview

The first interview was essentially just me sat in a room with about 10 other candidates while being presented an overview about the company and the sort of expectations of an insurance agent or "benefits specialist". They have you bring your resume to submit and also have you fill out an application there before you leave that basically has the same info as your resume and then a personality assessment. Later that day I received a follow-up phone call for a second interview, which I had the next day. In the last interview, the hiring manager went over in more detail what the training would be like, and the testing required to get the licensing to do so.

Entry Level Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at American Income Life (Edison, NJ).

Interview

It was a waste of time. It's an only commission based sales position. They just wanted to see why I was changing careers. Asked me if I had children and if I could work between the hours of 3 and 9 pm.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

5 Part interview process, was told untrue statements about pay and benefits until 3rd interview. When I returned for the company overview/orientation I had not decided, untill I spoke with one of the managers and asked him what was the highest and lowest paid employee in the position they wanted to put me in. I was not happy with the highest.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at American Income Life (San Bernardino, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

San Bernardino Agency: This was NOT an interview but recruiting setup for potential agents, beyond acceptable. They called me and texted me about my job interview for Administrative Assistant and you never mentioned the word "insurance". The text confirmation read "INTERVIEW CONFIRMATION". Instead of an interview it was a pure sales pitch presentation to recruit new insurance agents. Today they wasted over an hour of my time during the presentation, over an hour of time to drive back and forth to San Bernardino and they wasted my gas. If they had been honest with me on the phone or in the text message, I would not have attended as I could use my VALUABLE time more wisely since, cause I am not interested in a 1099 self employed insurance agent gig. Most likely over half of the 15 or so attendees with me in the room would have bailed if they were told honestly from the beginning what this was all about. Although agent today clearly stated "I will not lie to you people", but she sure did in this whole scam setup to try to find new recruits.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at American Income Life (San Diego, CA).

Interview

The initial call got my spider senses tingling. A peppy receptionist called letting me know that they got my resume for a manager position and wanted to know if I would be available the next day or the following week Wednesday. I asked where they got my resume from and she said it came from corporate. Now I've been applying for IT roles (service desk, NoC, field support, etc) so this didn't make sense, but I went ahead and scheduled it while I did my research. Before ending the call I tried to get additional details about the role, seeing as how I didn't have management experience, and she would just tell me that I'll get more information at the interview.

*Queue NCIS music while I use Google-fu on the company*

Everything online states that this is for a sales role or people dealing with the same shrouded in mystery answers when asking questions. Sorry, but this will have to be a no from me dawg.

Called the company back and canceled my appointment for the interview, they asked if I was concerned about compensation to which I told them that I only work in IT and won't be a fit for a life insurance company.

Man, these companies are getting really tricky, I'll take the AFLAC and other insurance company emails any day of the week (straight to the spam folder) than deal with these kinds of shady calls.

Benefits Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at American Income Life.

Interview

Got an email from a woman stating the position and what I would doing. I tried talking by phone but would never get an answer. I still set up the interview and went in....when I went to the building the front desk clerk seemed as if she didn't know who I was...that was enough for me....They STILL called me back and tried to offer the position...Wow

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Arlington, TX).

Interview

This was supposed to be a one - on - one interview. I was asked a few basic questions by a receptionist. We were then sent to a group gathering- that a gentleman glossed over everything making huge money claims. I just don’t believe any of it. If they make good money why can’t they clean their very nasty carpet in the office?

Interview Questions

• What made you come here?
      Are you looking for full time?
      Do you like money?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Interview

Was put in a room for a cattle call meeting to find warm bodies to pay them for sales materials to get an insurance license. A classic bait and switch, they told me on the phone that I would be interviewing for an inside, salaried position but really everyone they bring in is a commission only based salesman with no paid training. I left the interview as soon as I found out!

Interview Questions

• None were asked, just a pitch about how much money you can make   1 Answer