Cover image for American Income Life

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email

Found 3,878 of over 5K reviews

Updated Dec 3, 2023

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "The training is great and there is a possibility to get promoted on a regular basis.(in 219 reviews)
  • "The majority of my fellow associates were great people to be in the office with.(in 215 reviews)
  • "Money is good for brokers who are ok going door to door and a lot of incentives(in 183 reviews)
  • "If you get good the pay is great and you are can decide your schedule.(in 107 reviews)
Cons
  • "There is a lot of turn over in this industry and being commission only can get difficult(in 247 reviews)
  • "Long hours to sometimes not get paid for the week because customers are blowing you off(in 246 reviews)
  • "Poor management, lack of strategy and no decorum(in 121 reviews)
  • "Some long hours but worth it in the long term.(in 114 reviews)
  • "The managers make more money on new hires in the first 90 days than anything else.(in 106 reviews)

Ratings by Demographics

Want more options?

This rating reflects the overall rating of American Income Life and is not affected by filters.

1. 5.0
      Nov 29, 2023
      Life Insurance Agent
      Current Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good training, leads provided at no cost, flexible schedule, work from home

Cons

Can take awhile to get started

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you're enjoying the thorough training, flexible schedule, and the opportunity to make a generous living while offering valuable financial protection to working families. This career can be tough in the beginning but with a persistent work ethic, it can be extremely rewarding. Best wishes for a long future of success at AIL.

1. 4.0
        Sep 2, 2014
        Regional Director
        Current Employee, more than 5 years
        Business Outlook

Pros

So many pros here....let's start with: 1) Freedom & flexibility- the ability to be an independent contractor (1099 associate) who can set their own hours, work pace, and income level. 2) Preparation for the future- It is also nice that you can utilize AIL to gain valuable knowledge about sales, marketing, business development, communications and almost any other valuable skill/trait you would normally acquire in a university/college setting before setting out into the professional world. AIL is a great place for people to develop a solid core for what may lie ahead in their future for what they ultimately want to do for the rest of their lives. 3) A fully-vested, Union-protected 10-year renewal plan makes achieving whatever you want to do in life possible- whether it is starting your own business or a non-profit, without taking out huge small business loans. Work hard now- enjoy the financial benefits for the rest of your life. 4) The socialization aspect: from policyholders to co-workers to the random person that opens up the door to you on a daily basis there is never a boring day @ AIL. In short, we get paid to drive, talk, and help educate people on how to be financially literate when it comes to insurance and savings. Also, we get invited to BBQ's, family functions, and many other cool events from our members. It is impossible to work @ AIL and not develop a strong social network as a result of working here! 5) The opportunity to be given recognition and additional responsibilities based on your own results, instead of on tenure or who you know 6) Legitimate 6-figure income reality...I've personally only had 1 year under $100,000 and I took a ton of time off that year. I had never made more than 50,000 per year working 60-70 hours per week in retail prior to AIL. 7) Good Senior Leadership/Mentors: although rare, this company truly some fantastic individuals sitting in high-profile & decision-making positions within the company...many of whom truly live the company's mottos and operating principles to the 'T' 8) Ability to rebound quickly in a financial crisis- whether it happens directly or indirectly to you there a very few professional opportunities where you can go make an extra 10K or so the following month, even if you are not a manager. While money is the root of all evil, it can also help you do great by and support those around when times get tough. As long as someone focuses on the beneficial aspects of the monetary opportunity at AIL they will be in a good place. 9) Running your own business- as long as you are showing results and growth, you can run your own office(s) with nearly absolute autonomy. But, unlike running your own traditional business, you have the support of a Fortune 700 company and its senior leaders when you need it. It's the best of both world's really.

Cons

NOTE: Every individual AIL office is franchised and no two are exactly alike in nature...just like a fast-food chain or multiple-location gym. Depending on your SGA (AIL franchise-owner), RGA, MGA, and other upline managers, you may have the above-mentioned freedom & financial opportunities inhibited by several factors including: 1) Micromanagement- many managers treat their associates like W-2 employees in their daily interactions with them and should be reminded of the 6-Point Test for Independent Contractors to help them develop a working relationship that is more true to the nature of their contract. Recommend to do something, but not require them to do something. Small but huge difference between the two. 2) Too heavy of a focus on the scripts- teach your associates the script and it's key components but don't hold back their creativity and interpretation of the presentation- remember, you hired them because they were intelligent beings (I hope)...not script-reciting robots. 3) Mandatory Meetings- yikes, this is a huge legal volcano waiting to bury the SGA's of this company. Recommend attendance and explain why it is important associates are there...and leave it at that. 4) Lack of accountability from senior management- remember, you are not infallible...quit making promises you can't back up and if you fail to uphold your end of the bargain, make it right in whatever way possible! 5) Buddy-buddy system- depending on the SGA, many are very cliquey and develop too tight of an inner-circle where the general attitude becomes very akin to a fanatic cult. Stay true to your standards and guidelines, not to who challenges you the least and edifies the very ground you walk on 6) Chargebacks and selective underwriting- you may actually owe the money back to the company if you submit a policy that does not get issued due to health, even though sometimes the insured met the underwriting guidelines of the field guide you were issued. AIL also does not like to underwrite large policies for some reason. 7) Too many traps in the bonus system- many times as a senior manager I have not earned the bonuses I projected on earning because of the several pitfalls in the bonus system, such as the quality of the downline manager (the manager you are supervising), the fact that your downline managers did not code enough new associates (even though you might have) 8) The Peter-principle- associates are promoted to management positions to rapidly in many SGAships across AIL so they never get a chance to fully grow into their previous role and end up failing miserably at everything. Give junior associates more time to hone their skills before throwing the next task(s) at them. If you want to grow so bad, go do it yourself and stop forcing others to take on your responsibilities.

Thank you for your thorough review of the AIL opportunity. We appreciate you taking the time to help others understand the uniqueness of our Independent Agent position. We enjoy seeing our agents succeed and know that hard work and dedication is a staple of a successful AIL agent. We thank you for being a part of our AIL family!

2. Join the American Income Life team
        See Our Latest Jobs
        1. 1.0
          Nov 24, 2023
          Business Outlook

Pros

The good news is that you can make money but that isn’t a guarantee.

Cons

American Income Life can be defined in one word, “MLM “multi-level marketing, They talk about the world greatest bonus, that’s a myth to fool applicants, even if the there is such a bonus it’s like a lamp in my room, I can see it but can’t touch it. You will have to go through extensive unpaid training oh I wasted my time, for 1 to 2 months , but you see the training isn’t the deal, the deal is you gotta bring for them peoples, they won’t tell you that in time, but they want you to figure it out, the sooner the better because every salesman has ropes around their necks. This is a 100% commission job, but they don’t advertise it as such. So, if you wanna enter into such business make sure you have a loan somewhere in case you can’t pay your bills. You got to spend 60 hours every week trying, trying and trying to sell something to members who don’t want the products. Full of tricks and tricksters oh boy I wasted my money for licenses, I almost felt like working for the underworld kingdom except they don’t kill you. There is a reason why they have to watch motivational videos in the meeting, this is a weekly deal not a monthly.

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry your experience was less than you expected. Every AIL agent is a valued part of the team and our leadership is invested in each agent’s success, personal development, and career growth. The situation you described does not reflect our AIL management style and we apologize that this was your experience. We invite you to send us more agency owner, location details and any other relevant information (including this review) to feedback@globelifeins.com so that we can address this situation and prevent this type of unacceptable experience from happening again.

Nov 1, 2023
            Agent
            San Dimas, CA
            Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity to make good money for workaholics and give yourself at least one month of not making any money and investing about $500+ on your end for licensing / training/ testing etc.

Cons

Lack of training more of a roll the ball at there and let me critique you approach. I was looking to work part time and the training is 6 days a week 45+ hours a week so do not do this as a 2nd job unless you have zero life. I work full time job and my manager could care less she demanded 6 days a week and it wasn't working for me or them.

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your experience does not represent our training and management style and we apologize if you weren't given the proper support while on our team. We invite you to send us your agency location and any other details of your experience to Feedback@globelifeins.com so that we can investigate your situation and help improve our agents' path to success. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

1. 4.0
              Dec 3, 2023
              Supervising Agent
              Current Employee, more than 1 year
              Business Outlook

Pros

When sales are made, commission are great! Management is really happy with you and keep encouraging you to do more. Contests can be lucrative and the free trip you win for excellent production is quite lavish.

Cons

If your production is not up to their standards, you are ignored or talked about behind your back. Leads are recycled between agents. 100% commission can be brutal. They expect you to work 7 days a week. They refresh your leads monthly, but they take the old ones away and dont replenish for hours! However, they still expect you to schedule tons of appointments.

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We're happy to have you on our team and appreciate your contributions to our AIL team. We're sorry that there are aspects of your agency experience that aren't meeting your expectations. So that we can look further into your situation and take the necessary steps to improve these issues we invite you to send us an email to feedback@globelifeins.com with more agency details. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Nov 27, 2023
                Insurance Sales Agent
                Atlanta, GA
                Business Outlook

Pros

There is a lot of earning potential with this company, for sales driven individuals.

Cons

This company feels like an MLM their leadership program. There is a lot of focus on building your team of agents and less about what products we are actually selling and how to help recommend them to customers. They appeal to new agents by saying that there is no cold calling, but you are given very, old leads (2+ years) to "practice" with and most people have no recollection of requesting information. We are asked to stick to a vague script when setting the appointment. Lots of time spent making calls that don't get picked up and plenty more that include hang-ups and people confused/worried about why you are calling.

Thank you for your insightful feedback regarding your time with AIL. We're happy that you enjoyed the earning potential we offer at AIL but disappointed it wasn't a good career fit for you long-term. The position does require a persistent, sales-minded individual and isn't for everyone. We appreciate your contribution to our team's success and wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors.

Dec 1, 2023
                  General Manager
                  Former Employee, more than 1 year
                  Worcester, MA
                  Business Outlook

Pros

commission, make your own schedule

Cons

commission only, if you aren't good at sales or bad with people this is not for you

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry our AIL Agent position didn’t meet your expectations. This career isn't a perfect fit for everyone but can be an incredibly rewarding career experience financially and personally for the right individual. Good luck to you in your future career path.

Jun 20, 2023
                    Supervising Agent
                    Former Employee, more than 1 year
                    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility of your schedule. Opportunity to make a lot of money. Possibility of working for a great team.

Cons

High turn over rate for a reason. Long hours for not the best pay. They say you got to grind out the calls and you'll be successful, but I did that. 10 to 12 hour days and I got basic pay for it, sometimes 7 days a week. Had to attend meetings and trainings almost on a daily bases and they weren't paid. They say 1099, but when you don't show up to a call session or to training you get calls and they make comments. You also get micro managed depending on your upper management. And yes, you can easily get promoted, but only because your upper management gets promoted when they promote. Truth is, some people make a lot of money here, most don't. It's worth a shot if you have the time and funds to give yourself a fair shot to see if it's for you. Also, if you do give yourself a shot and you see it's not for you, don't let yourself get bullied by management that you havent been working enough to justify you not making money. I didn't really agree with everything they did, and I'm sure that contributed significantly.

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry your experience was less than you expected. Every AIL agent is a valued part of the team and our leadership is invested in each agent’s success, personal development, and career growth. The situation you described does not reflect our AIL management style and we apologize that this was your experience. We invite you to send us more manager details (along with this review) and any other relevant details not included above to AILfeedback@ailife.com so that we can address this situation and prevent this type of unacceptable experience from happening again.

1. 2.0
                      Nov 20, 2023
                      Insurance Sales Agent
                      Current Employee, less than 1 year
                      Blairsville, GA
                      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people who are willing to help you anyway they can

Cons

You need to be good at sales and be willing to work long hours. The can be weeks you will work 40+ hours without pay if you are not good at sales

1. 1.0
                        Dec 2, 2023
                        Career Agent
                        Florida City, FL
                        Business Outlook

Pros

The supposed earning potential and flexibility

Cons

No work life balance and the flexibility was not so flexible

Thank you for your feedback. We’re very sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your situation is not indicative of our management style, and we apologize if you felt you were misled during the interview process. We invite you to send us an email to feedback@globelifeins.com with more agency name and location details (along with this review) so we can look further into your experience.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,878 Reviews
                      </>Embed

American Income Life Reviews FAQs

American Income Life has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 4,795 reviews left anonymously by employees. 58% of employees would recommend working at American Income Life to a friend and 61% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, American Income Life employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at American Income Life. This rating has improved by 5% over the last 12 months.

58% of American Income Life employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated American Income Life 3.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at American Income Life to be benefits, management, career development and the cons to be work life balance .

Want the inside scoop on your own company?

Join your Company Bowl™ for anonymous work chats.

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

QC Specialist II

When someone says “We are eager to fill this position, we have no timeline but it should not drag out,” what are the chances I’m selected? This was at the third round interview, last Tue (5d ago) when I was told I should hear from HR next. The job was posted 30+ days ago. I applied for it on 10/22 and the interview process started 11/6 with an HR screening phone call.

IT Specialist

Passed 2 interviews with a board of education, they told me to wait for HR confirm and contact me , been 3 weeks since then, when should I expect to receive callbacks or emails??

Cloud Performance Engineering Lead

Workday interview tips needed. The role I am applying to is a site reliability engineer role. I am not sure what to expect. Of course it’s a technical role so I do expect those questions. I am wondering if they go extra hard and how many rounds? I read somewhere that they do 5 rounds. Either way any tips are@welcome.

0 Comments

Glassdoor has 4,795 American Income Life reviews submitted anonymously by American Income Life employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if American Income Life is right for you.