American Income Life Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 19, 2018
1,895 reviews

Full-timePart-time

3.6
American Income Life Chief Executive Officer, AIL Agency Division Steven K. Greer
Steven K. Greer

1,895 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Agents have the opportunity to make a lot of money and go very far in the company" (in 83 reviews)

• "A lot of opportunity to make a lot of money" (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • "long hours don't work for everyone" (in 203 reviews)

• "100% commission based salary but the commissions are worth it" (in 84 reviews)

1. "If you value your work ethic, this is the place to be."

I have been working at American Income Life full-time

Pros

Thorough training and mentorship

Superior teaching on financial principles

Vibrant, fast-pased culture

Proven structure that ensures success

Leadership development opportunities

Advancement opportunities

Hands on experience

Cons

Pressure to perform

Shift in work hours from the usual 9-5

"Might Be The Longest & Hopefully the Most Honest & Balanced Review on Glassdoor Concerning AIL. Please read to the end!"

Current Employee - Regional Director
    Current Employee - Regional Director

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

So many pros here....let's start with:

1) Freedom & flexibility- the ability to be an independent contractor (1099 associate) who can set their own hours, work pace, and income level.

2) Preparation for the future- It is also nice that you can utilize AIL to gain valuable knowledge about sales, marketing, business development, communications and almost any other valuable skill/trait you would normally acquire in a university/college setting before setting out into the professional world. AIL is a great place for people to develop a solid core for what may lie ahead in their future for what they ultimately want to do for the rest of their lives.

3) A fully-vested, Union-protected 10-year renewal plan makes achieving whatever you want to do in life possible- whether it is starting your own business or a non-profit, without taking out huge small business loans. Work hard now- enjoy the financial benefits for the rest of your life.

4) The socialization aspect: from policyholders to co-workers to the random person that opens up the door to you on a daily basis there is never a boring day @ AIL. In short, we get paid to drive, talk, and help educate people on how to be financially literate when it comes to insurance and savings. Also, we get invited to BBQ's, family functions, and many other cool events from our members. It is impossible to work @ AIL and not develop a strong social network as a result of working here!

5) The opportunity to be given recognition and additional responsibilities based on your own results, instead of on tenure or who you know

6) Legitimate 6-figure income reality...I've personally only had 1 year under $100,000 and I took a ton of time off that year. I had never made more than 50,000 per year working 60-70 hours per week in retail prior to AIL.

7) Good Senior Leadership/Mentors: although rare, this company truly some fantastic individuals sitting in high-profile & decision-making positions within the company...many of whom truly live the company's mottos and operating principles to the 'T'

8) Ability to rebound quickly in a financial crisis- whether it happens directly or indirectly to you there a very few professional opportunities where you can go make an extra 10K or so the following month, even if you are not a manager. While money is the root of all evil, it can also help you do great by and support those around when times get tough. As long as someone focuses on the beneficial aspects of the monetary opportunity at AIL they will be in a good place.

9) Running your own business- as long as you are showing results and growth, you can run your own office(s) with nearly absolute autonomy. But, unlike running your own traditional business, you have the support of a Fortune 700 company and its senior leaders when you need it. It's the best of both world's really.

Cons

NOTE: Every individual AIL office is franchised and no two are exactly alike in nature...just like a fast-food chain or multiple-location gym.

Depending on your SGA (AIL franchise-owner), RGA, MGA, and other upline managers, you may have the above-mentioned freedom & financial opportunities inhibited by several factors including:

1) Micromanagement- many managers treat their associates like W-2 employees in their daily interactions with them and should be reminded of the 6-Point Test for Independent Contractors to help them develop a working relationship that is more true to the nature of their contract. Recommend to do something, but not require them to do something. Small but huge difference between the two.

2) Too heavy of a focus on the scripts- teach your associates the script and it's key components but don't hold back their creativity and interpretation of the presentation- remember, you hired them because they were intelligent beings (I hope)...not script-reciting robots.

3) Mandatory Meetings- yikes, this is a huge legal volcano waiting to bury the SGA's of this company. Recommend attendance and explain why it is important associates are there...and leave it at that.

4) Lack of accountability from senior management- remember, you are not infallible...quit making promises you can't back up and if you fail to uphold your end of the bargain, make it right in whatever way possible!

5) Buddy-buddy system- depending on the SGA, many are very cliquey and develop too tight of an inner-circle where the general attitude becomes very akin to a fanatic cult. Stay true to your standards and guidelines, not to who challenges you the least and edifies the very ground you walk on

6) Chargebacks and selective underwriting- you may actually owe the money back to the company if you submit a policy that does not get issued due to health, even though sometimes the insured met the underwriting guidelines of the field guide you were issued. AIL also does not like to underwrite large policies for some reason.

7) Too many traps in the bonus system- many times as a senior manager I have not earned the bonuses I projected on earning because of the several pitfalls in the bonus system, such as the quality of the downline manager (the manager you are supervising), the fact that your downline managers did not code enough new associates (even though you might have)

8) The Peter-principle- associates are promoted to management positions to rapidly in many SGAships across AIL so they never get a chance to fully grow into their previous role and end up failing miserably at everything. Give junior associates more time to hone their skills before throwing the next task(s) at them. If you want to grow so bad, go do it yourself and stop forcing others to take on your responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Before I give advice to management (see below) I would like to give some advice to those reading reviews: 90% of the content of the negative reviews you see on this site are TRUE, to one degree or another. But remember, no one generally goes to the internet to blog about how great things are- it's usually to complain or expose what they feel is negative. However, some red flags for you (the potential job seeker) when you are reading reviews: if someone says the word "employee" in their review you can essentially disregard the rest of the review due to the actual nature of the contract they signed.

Also, if someone complains about travelling they simply were not paying attention to the interview process (or the local office wasn't being truthful)- they were blinded by the $$ potential. And finally if anyone complains about management not being truthful, in most cases I have observed it's because they came ill-prepared for the interview and did not ask enough and/or the right questions. To expand on that, another huge reason for attrition is lack of spousal support. The new associate might not have clearly explained the opportunity & its requirements to their spouse or s/o- approx. I would put the figure of dissatisfied agents around 60% of the total % of dissatisfied agents that promise their better halves the world via this opportunity and do not prepare them for the initial 3-6 month grind required to be successful long-term.

My advice to candidates: don't sign on the dot for the job- ask to ride along (job shadow) the person interviewing for a day or two before committing to the opportunity. Also, once you commit: do so for a minimum of 6-months. This is not a career you can gauge on a daily or weekly basis.

Now that I have said that, I am exited to provide some valuable some advice to the management:

1) Stop hiring everybody! This career should not be someone's first "real job"...you really do need a bit of good educational or professional experience (at minimum an internship or working entry-level at a successful company, regardless of industry) prior to joining AIL. AIL is only good for a gateway into the financial services industry, not into the general realm of employment itself! By hiring bad candidates you alienate the good candidates in your organization and the opportunity does not seem that special anymore, hurting agency culture and individual drive.

2) Hire by necessity- not in advance to replace the inevitable turnover. If you are losing agents left and right, aggressive hiring on a weekly basis will do nothing but apply a 1-month Band-Aid to the solution and fill the pockets of your SGA!! In order to stop turnover, book a ton of interviews and only select the absolute best candidates, mentor them to obtain their license, and support them during their 1st 90 days as if they were the last agents you are ever going to hire. In short, don't hire their replacement until they give you a reason to do so.

3) Know your territory and the opportunities/constraints it provides, don't out hire your available resources to where your agents must produce 90% of their leads by referrals just to have a weekly paycheck. Referrals are awesome, but remember- we are a UNION company, first and foremost. When those goes by the wayside, so does our niche and the business model itself will start to decay leaving us at the same level as State Farm, New York Life, Farmers, etc...just a general insurance company looking to present to anybody willing to listen to our "spiel".

4) Educate your Agency Owners (running their own office) about business & tax legalities. Don't force them to invest their money, hire associates under the table, put agents on mandatory schedules...and then when they get in trouble hide behind the "Oh, well they are an independent contractor" guise. Step up and take ownership of the actions of those below you that you have mentored.

5) Do more with less. Currently as a company I feel we could double our production but cutting 1/3 of our agency force and cutting recruiting efforts by over 66%...this would leave 2-3 uninterrupted weeks to devote to the proper mentoring of those associates we bring on to our respective teams and provide the time needed for managers to increase production so junior managers can afford to give away some business to a new associate once they pass their state licensing exam. If you want to recruit every week, you personally should pay for the staff to do so instead of shifting the financial & logistical burden onto managers below you w/ a fraction of your income.

6) Be upfront and don't tell lies to people in the hiring process. Set up clear expectations (in writing) and don't be afraid to sign your name on the line of what the position will entail from day 1 - retirement.

7) Make a commitment to yourself that you will help this company be great again- yes we are making more $$ than ever before and our company's growth is nothing short of admirable....let's just leave a smaller "trail of blood" in the process and not build OUR dreams on the obliterated ones of wide-eyed newbies who often entrust us with the last bit of money, time, and trust they have left during these rough times. Let's be a positive example for labor and not a thorn in its side.

8) Create a more formal business structure by creating roles for key associates and assisting junior managers with their investments in the structure of their business...instead of giving away thousands of dollars of I-pads, vacations and other ridiculous prizes that only benefit the top 10% of the company. It's time to stop making a non-MLM company appear like one.

May 15, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your thorough review of the AIL opportunity. We appreciate you taking the time to help others understand the uniqueness of our Independent Agent position. We enjoy seeing our agents... More

3. "Great Job Oppurtunity and I love it"

Current Employee - Producer in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Producer in Edison, NJ

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

your constany learning and everyone is always helping you out !

Cons

none . love the job and environment

Advice to Management

continue to push your producers ! you guys encourage us to go harder and become better us ! love it

4. "Weekly bonuses and vacation opportunities"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Wexford, PA
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Wexford, PA

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Make your own hours. Worlds greatest bonus. Free vacations. Great coworker's. Residual income. Help from upper management.

Cons

You have to be willing to work on your own.

5. "My experience has been life changing"

Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are too many good things but I will try. The pay is based off of what value you bring into peoples lives and I feel that all the skills that I have developed in my life translate perfectly into this career. I work with people that I trust and want the best for me and help me become the best version of me. The ability to advance at the rate I desire all the way to the point where I am the one now helping other people achieve what they want. The fact that I wake up excited to go to work. Residual income directly deposited every month like clockwork. The freedom of making my own schedule. The peace of mind that as long as I am ethical and moral, job security will never be an issue. The ability to retire in 10 years with more residual income than of most jobs after 40 years. The work I do is meaningful and gives me a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment.

Cons

Being self discipline to succeed

Aug 16, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your review of AIL. We enjoy hearing about our agents' career successes and the satisfaction gained from the meaningful work we do. Personal growth and the ability to have control and... More

"Financial Services Professional"

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in State College, PA

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Forbes Top Happiest Companies to work for in 2018 and has been for years
    - Financially sound - never changed its name - TMK (Torchmark) stock market ticker
    - Excellent paid training
    - Unlimited Opportunities for growth
    - Healthcare after approximately 3 months.
    - Management is never hired outside the company so everyone above you has been where you are
    - Highest paid entry level job anywhere
    - You directly control your promotions and career progression
    - Help blue collar Americans secure their financial future
    - Huge network/family that is committed to your success just as much as you are
    - Constant and continual training, workshops, and employee development
    - Fun and exciting environment
    - Work hard play hard mentality
    - Huge weekly bonuses - worlds greatest bonus
    - The best conventions and contest rewards - cruises, Las Vegas, Florida, sporting event tickets, etc all expenses paid
    - The company has been around for 70 plus years and had always grown. Even though the depression and stock market crashes this company has found a way to grow when others crumbled.
    - AM’s Best A+ rated
    - Customer Service oriented and focused

Cons

I, honestly, cannot think of one. I will say though, if you are not one who likes to work hard and be greatly rewarded for it, then this is not the career for you. I see negative reviews on here. There is no way any of those can be true, unless they expected to come in and reap the rewards without the work. You will not come into this career and be successful waiting for it to be handed to you.

Advice to Management

Management is great! My only advice is to have your Associates write reviews so everyone can see how amazing this company is. People are very quick to share negativity, but don’t give a thought about spreading the love.

Aug 9, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your thorough and insightful review of the incredible career path that is available at AIL. We are happy to have you on our growing team and look forward to many years of your personal... More

7. "Great opportunity if you're willing to give it everything"

Former Employee - Benefits Representative
    Former Employee - Benefits Representative

I worked at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome work environment
    Great people
    Good training
    Mentorship

Cons

Takes a pick to get into your own groove and make good money

Aug 15, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to know that our thorough training and encouraging work environment made for a positive experience while at AIL. We appreciate the hard work and dedication... More

8. "Legal Assistant"

I worked at American Income Life full-time

Pros

Every assistant worked together, and it was a nice atmosphere.

Cons

no cons that I can think of

Advice to Management

none

Aug 15, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you enjoyed the team atmosphere we encourage and we appreciate your hard work and dedication while a part of AIL. Best wishes to you in your future endeavors.... More

"Supervising Agent"

Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Wexford, PA
    Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Wexford, PA

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast opportunity for advancement, getting paid for the work you put in versus a 9-5 where you get paid for the hours regardless of how hard you work. Great for someone who is competitive and can handle being coached tough, not for the faint of heart. If you can’t handle honest coaching and a fast paced work environment this place isn’t for you

Cons

Working 80+ hours a week... but the result is always worth the time put in.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing!! Love this place

Aug 8, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your review of the AIL Agent position. We enjoy hearing about our agents' success and personal growth. Career advancement and a competitive, hard-working environment is part of our... More

10. "Amazing opportunity"

Current Employee - Benefits Representative in West Orange, NJ
    Current Employee - Benefits Representative in West Orange, NJ

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money has been incredible. I was laid off for over a year and couldn't find work. I met Mr. Helly and he helped me pass the course and master my presentation. Was trained by a great manager and the team has been so supportive. I caught up on all of my debt and am finally saving for my daughters college!

Cons

First month was a lot of time away from home to learn the business and field train but was worth it in the long run.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Aug 13, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your review of AIL. We're glad you're enjoying the incredible income that this position can create with hard work and diligent training. We love hearing about our agents' success and... More

Showing 1,895 of 2,246 reviews