American Income Life Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

3.7
American Income Life Chief Executive Officer, AIL Agency Division Steven K. Greer
Steven K. Greer
Pros
  • "you will make a lot of money if you put in the work(in 107 reviews)

• "This company works on an Opportunity Unlimited Philosophy and that truly means unlimited(in 99 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long hours if trying to be in management but well worth it if you want to retire in 10 years(in 279 reviews)

• "There are no cons other than the 100% commission maybe, however this can also be a pro as the structure is impressive(in 123 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of American Income Life and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Unlimited Opportunity

May 2, 2021 - Life Insurance Agent in Aurora, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible with creating your own work schedule, room for growth and development in career, unlimited income opportunity along with residuals for earning passive income, friendly trainers who are quick to help, instruct, and advise, great for someone just entering the world of business/sales looking to build presentation skills and getting outside of your comfort zone

Cons

cold calling warm leads, some rejection (at the same time builds character and can be empowering)

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback and your hard work and dedication to AIL. We love hearing about the success, perks, and benefits that hard work produces in this rewarding career and hope you enjoy even more years of success with us!

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Might Be The Longest & Hopefully the Most Honest & Balanced Review on Glassdoor Concerning AIL. Please read to the end!

Sep 2, 2014 - Regional Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

So many pros here....let's start with: 1) Freedom & flexibility- the ability to be an independent contractor (1099 associate) who can set their own hours, work pace, and income level. 2) Preparation for the future- It is also nice that you can utilize AIL to gain valuable knowledge about sales, marketing, business development, communications and almost any other valuable skill/trait you would normally acquire in a university/college setting before setting out into the professional world. AIL is a great place for people to develop a solid core for what may lie ahead in their future for what they ultimately want to do for the rest of their lives. 3) A fully-vested, Union-protected 10-year renewal plan makes achieving whatever you want to do in life possible- whether it is starting your own business or a non-profit, without taking out huge small business loans. Work hard now- enjoy the financial benefits for the rest of your life. 4) The socialization aspect: from policyholders to co-workers to the random person that opens up the door to you on a daily basis there is never a boring day @ AIL. In short, we get paid to drive, talk, and help educate people on how to be financially literate when it comes to insurance and savings. Also, we get invited to BBQ's, family functions, and many other cool events from our members. It is impossible to work @ AIL and not develop a strong social network as a result of working here! 5) The opportunity to be given recognition and additional responsibilities based on your own results, instead of on tenure or who you know 6) Legitimate 6-figure income reality...I've personally only had 1 year under $100,000 and I took a ton of time off that year. I had never made more than 50,000 per year working 60-70 hours per week in retail prior to AIL. 7) Good Senior Leadership/Mentors: although rare, this company truly some fantastic individuals sitting in high-profile & decision-making positions within the company...many of whom truly live the company's mottos and operating principles to the 'T' 8) Ability to rebound quickly in a financial crisis- whether it happens directly or indirectly to you there a very few professional opportunities where you can go make an extra 10K or so the following month, even if you are not a manager. While money is the root of all evil, it can also help you do great by and support those around when times get tough. As long as someone focuses on the beneficial aspects of the monetary opportunity at AIL they will be in a good place. 9) Running your own business- as long as you are showing results and growth, you can run your own office(s) with nearly absolute autonomy. But, unlike running your own traditional business, you have the support of a Fortune 700 company and its senior leaders when you need it. It's the best of both world's really.

Cons

NOTE: Every individual AIL office is franchised and no two are exactly alike in nature...just like a fast-food chain or multiple-location gym. Depending on your SGA (AIL franchise-owner), RGA, MGA, and other upline managers, you may have the above-mentioned freedom & financial opportunities inhibited by several factors including: 1) Micromanagement- many managers treat their associates like W-2 employees in their daily interactions with them and should be reminded of the 6-Point Test for Independent Contractors to help them develop a working relationship that is more true to the nature of their contract. Recommend to do something, but not require them to do something. Small but huge difference between the two. 2) Too heavy of a focus on the scripts- teach your associates the script and it's key components but don't hold back their creativity and interpretation of the presentation- remember, you hired them because they were intelligent beings (I hope)...not script-reciting robots. 3) Mandatory Meetings- yikes, this is a huge legal volcano waiting to bury the SGA's of this company. Recommend attendance and explain why it is important associates are there...and leave it at that. 4) Lack of accountability from senior management- remember, you are not infallible...quit making promises you can't back up and if you fail to uphold your end of the bargain, make it right in whatever way possible! 5) Buddy-buddy system- depending on the SGA, many are very cliquey and develop too tight of an inner-circle where the general attitude becomes very akin to a fanatic cult. Stay true to your standards and guidelines, not to who challenges you the least and edifies the very ground you walk on 6) Chargebacks and selective underwriting- you may actually owe the money back to the company if you submit a policy that does not get issued due to health, even though sometimes the insured met the underwriting guidelines of the field guide you were issued. AIL also does not like to underwrite large policies for some reason. 7) Too many traps in the bonus system- many times as a senior manager I have not earned the bonuses I projected on earning because of the several pitfalls in the bonus system, such as the quality of the downline manager (the manager you are supervising), the fact that your downline managers did not code enough new associates (even though you might have) 8) The Peter-principle- associates are promoted to management positions to rapidly in many SGAships across AIL so they never get a chance to fully grow into their previous role and end up failing miserably at everything. Give junior associates more time to hone their skills before throwing the next task(s) at them. If you want to grow so bad, go do it yourself and stop forcing others to take on your responsibilities.

1785 people found this review helpful

HR Manager

Thank you for your thorough review of the AIL opportunity. We appreciate you taking the time to help others understand the uniqueness of our Independent Agent position. We enjoy seeing our agents succeed and know that hard work and dedication is a staple of a successful AIL agent. We thank you for being a part of our AIL family!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I love being apart of this company!!

Mar 20, 2021 - Permanent Consultant in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pros are pretty straight forward. You learn how to make more than the average income. You have the right tools and system to prosper if you are coachable. You have your freedom. You have the water to plant your seeds. You have the field of flowers and the field of healing bees (my coworkers). As long as you follow the system, stay consistent, and apply yourself you’ll be great. This is the best environment I’m telling you. You’ll feel loved and supported which is essential for ultimate growth.

Cons

The only cons I would say is having to be disciplined and pushing on when it gets hard. Not really a con but it is certainly a struggle to maintain confident and pushing forward. As long as you have a strong enough purpose, reason, “why” this is a con that won’t matter and if it isn’t a con for you either you’ll do amazing here. It’s about prospering, learning, and implementing what your mentors tell you

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Get here now!!!

Mar 25, 2021 - General Agent in Jackson, MS
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve always wanted to work for a company where I could grow and I found that while working here. They train you the correct way and are 100% hands on with you. Training last about 2 weeks where they actually teach you everything you would need to know to succeed in your position. Not only are they willing to go above and beyond for you but they never leave you hanging. They don’t allow you to struggle at all, if they notice that you need help bam right back into training mode they go with no hesitation. People come in broke and broken true enough, but committing to at least 60 days here will change your life forever.Here you are allowed all the overtime you want and there is no cap on how much you can make. American Income has no managers they all are leaders. The difference between a manager and a leader is that managers manage, they delegate task to others and are defined by a label or title. Leaders lead they actually have done the work that they are expecting you to do. Leaders are hands on and work side by side with you the whole way. Managers delegate and point fingers telling you what to do instead of showing you. There’s a life changing and great opportunity here.

Cons

The only down side I see is the person that’s reading this review right now hasn’t started yet.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

WORLDS GREATEST SALES FORCE

Mar 20, 2021 - Agent/Supervising Agent in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Create your own schedule - Lifetime renewals for all the work you do/done - Union member local 277 benefits - Top of the industry mentorship - Free training, resources and supplies - Huge compensation structure with great bonuses and fair advances - Unlimited growth personally, professionally, and financially - Leadership development - Strong credibility with 45,000 union groups and presidents who endorse all programs and operations directly year after year since 1951 - Stress free lifestyle - Ability to freelance and have time set aside for self care - Life changing opportunities for any and everyone with a system in place that works for each individual - People First Declaration embodies a positive culture and environment - No drug test initially, only background check - Weekly pay - $0 lead cost (union members request to see us) - No sales experience required - No degree required - 18 years or older (I started at 20) - Six, seven, eight, nine, ten figure potentially - Remote work from anywhere on the planet. Travel anywhere - Contests and major incentives - Company has their own TV Show - Globe Life official life insurance company of the Dallas Cowboys and Texas Ranger - Work / life balance - Great network of like minded individuals

Cons

Honestly there are none when you listen to your mentors and apply yourself. Hard work guarantees you’ll be rich here.

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy you're enjoying the professional growth and opportunity that our Agent position can produce with hard work and dedication. We love seeing the success that is possible in this rewarding career and hope you enjoy a long and successful career with us!

6. 5.0

Apr 23, 2021 - Career Agent in Bridgeport, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

First off, this job is not for everyone. If you are not self motivated, stop. If you are trainable, and open to feedback you could have a great career with the Francisco Perez agency. The teams are diverse and full of dedicate individuals who believe in the mission to protect families. In my short time here I have seen nothing short of professionalism, not in a corporate sense, but professional. You can go as far as your abilities can take you. And if you need help, you will get it. People are promoted on merit and it is a family atmosphere.

Cons

The job is hard, and the hours can be challenging depending on your situation. The feeling you get when you know you have protected a family makes this the toughest job you will ever love.

HR Manager

Thank you for your review of the AIL agent position. We enjoy hearing about our agents' success and personal growth and we thank you for your hard work and sacrifice to make that happen. Wishing you continued success in the future.

7. 5.0

NOT any kind of MLM

Apr 19, 2021 - Agent
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Pay starting out is incredible. They offer Lifetime Residuals which causes you to really Invest with your Clients. The emphasis has always been on Providing the Clients with Options that would Fit their Budget...not selling them something they can not afford (which would actually Hurt the Company and the Client...the only person who MIGHT benefit from that is the Salesperson...) Since our Customer Base is Mainly Unions, we are a Union First Company. We offer FREE BENEFITS (like the Child Safe Kit and the Discount Card) as incentives to allow us to present Protection Plans to you...you are not required to listen to a Sales Pitch...we hope we prove our value enough so that you are interested in hearing what we have to offer...

Cons

Currently it is 100% Virtual. So you must be self-motivated.

2 people found this review helpful

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback and your hard work and dedication to AIL. We love hearing about the success, perks, and benefits that hard work produces in this rewarding career and hope you enjoy years of success with us!

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Not For Everyone

May 7, 2021 - Producer/Former MGA
      Business Outlook

Pros

potential for great income if you are suited for independent work and are self-motivated.

Cons

Reliant on fresh leads and most are recycled. The behavior of others who work for the company can greatly impact your ability to sell the company product which aren't the most competitive in the industry to start with.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Beyond blessed that I found AIL right out of college. I can retire today because of residual income if I wanted to.

Mar 20, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful organization that has a strong purpose to serve the working class community. Creating a career here has been the best decision of my life. The mentorship I have received from wonderful leadership has made me a better father, brother, son and husband. Grateful for the financial rewards and the impact we get to have on the community. Now it is even better because we get to work virtually and get family time while serving others.

Cons

It is like anything that is really rewarding it takes effort and time to get your skills to a high level but once you do it is like learning to ride a bike. Simple and you never forget it.

10. 5.0

Opportunity unlimited!!

Mar 20, 2021 - Benefits Specialist in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Create your own schedule No sales experience required Free training online/ in person Leaders actually teach you how to do the job/ gets sales Leaders are in the field with the agents working side by side. Great compensation & bonuses Get paid weekly/ daily GET RESIDUAL CHECKS FOR THE WORK YOU DID LAST YEAR/ LAST MONTH. Can work remotely from anywhere in the world LEADERSHIP APPRECIATES THEIR AGENTS AND ACTUALLY CARES FOE THEIR AGENTS Global Life is the official life insurance company for the Dallas cowboys and the Texas Rangers Can actually have a work/ life balance Leadership/agents have core values and culture behind the company Able to retire in 10 years if you put in the work Guaranteed to be rich if you put in the work

Cons

Nothing. Best job I’ve had in my entire career.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,993 Reviews