KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

American Income Life Reviews

Updated Aug 13, 2022

Found 3,453 of over 4,227 reviews

3.4
American Income Life Chief Executive Officer, AIL Agency Division Steven K. Greer
Steven K. Greer

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The majority of my fellow associates were great people to be in the office with.(in 197 reviews)
  • "Great training and working with motivated people(in 192 reviews)
  • "Good money if you do well and advance in the company (must be able to put aside morals)(in 168 reviews)
  • "If you get good the pay is great and you are can decide your schedule.(in 95 reviews)
  • "The culture here is great also!(in 84 reviews)
Cons
  • "Long hours to sometimes not get paid for the week because customers are blowing you off(in 215 reviews)
  • "There is a lot of turn over in this industry and being commission only can get difficult(in 212 reviews)
  • "I'm not saying all management is bad but the guy directly over me was.(in 112 reviews)
  • "Some long hours but worth it in the long term.(in 107 reviews)
  • "WHEN YOU BECOME A MANAGER YOU HAVE TO PAY $125 a week to keep that position for “recruiting”(in 95 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of American Income Life and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Rotolo Agency

Aug 11, 2022 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everything. Love it. I work hard so it works.

Cons

Not sure about that. Let you know soon.

Be the first to find this review helpful

HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We're happy to have you on our team and appreciate your contributions to AIL and our mission of helping provide financial protection to our customers. We wish you a successful and productive future ahead with AIL.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Might Be The Longest & Hopefully the Most Honest & Balanced Review on Glassdoor Concerning AIL. Please read to the end!

Sep 2, 2014 - Regional Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

So many pros here....let's start with: 1) Freedom & flexibility- the ability to be an independent contractor (1099 associate) who can set their own hours, work pace, and income level. 2) Preparation for the future- It is also nice that you can utilize AIL to gain valuable knowledge about sales, marketing, business development, communications and almost any other valuable skill/trait you would normally acquire in a university/college setting before setting out into the professional world. AIL is a great place for people to develop a solid core for what may lie ahead in their future for what they ultimately want to do for the rest of their lives. 3) A fully-vested, Union-protected 10-year renewal plan makes achieving whatever you want to do in life possible- whether it is starting your own business or a non-profit, without taking out huge small business loans. Work hard now- enjoy the financial benefits for the rest of your life. 4) The socialization aspect: from policyholders to co-workers to the random person that opens up the door to you on a daily basis there is never a boring day @ AIL. In short, we get paid to drive, talk, and help educate people on how to be financially literate when it comes to insurance and savings. Also, we get invited to BBQ's, family functions, and many other cool events from our members. It is impossible to work @ AIL and not develop a strong social network as a result of working here! 5) The opportunity to be given recognition and additional responsibilities based on your own results, instead of on tenure or who you know 6) Legitimate 6-figure income reality...I've personally only had 1 year under $100,000 and I took a ton of time off that year. I had never made more than 50,000 per year working 60-70 hours per week in retail prior to AIL. 7) Good Senior Leadership/Mentors: although rare, this company truly some fantastic individuals sitting in high-profile & decision-making positions within the company...many of whom truly live the company's mottos and operating principles to the 'T' 8) Ability to rebound quickly in a financial crisis- whether it happens directly or indirectly to you there a very few professional opportunities where you can go make an extra 10K or so the following month, even if you are not a manager. While money is the root of all evil, it can also help you do great by and support those around when times get tough. As long as someone focuses on the beneficial aspects of the monetary opportunity at AIL they will be in a good place. 9) Running your own business- as long as you are showing results and growth, you can run your own office(s) with nearly absolute autonomy. But, unlike running your own traditional business, you have the support of a Fortune 700 company and its senior leaders when you need it. It's the best of both world's really.

Cons

NOTE: Every individual AIL office is franchised and no two are exactly alike in nature...just like a fast-food chain or multiple-location gym. Depending on your SGA (AIL franchise-owner), RGA, MGA, and other upline managers, you may have the above-mentioned freedom & financial opportunities inhibited by several factors including: 1) Micromanagement- many managers treat their associates like W-2 employees in their daily interactions with them and should be reminded of the 6-Point Test for Independent Contractors to help them develop a working relationship that is more true to the nature of their contract. Recommend to do something, but not require them to do something. Small but huge difference between the two. 2) Too heavy of a focus on the scripts- teach your associates the script and it's key components but don't hold back their creativity and interpretation of the presentation- remember, you hired them because they were intelligent beings (I hope)...not script-reciting robots. 3) Mandatory Meetings- yikes, this is a huge legal volcano waiting to bury the SGA's of this company. Recommend attendance and explain why it is important associates are there...and leave it at that. 4) Lack of accountability from senior management- remember, you are not infallible...quit making promises you can't back up and if you fail to uphold your end of the bargain, make it right in whatever way possible! 5) Buddy-buddy system- depending on the SGA, many are very cliquey and develop too tight of an inner-circle where the general attitude becomes very akin to a fanatic cult. Stay true to your standards and guidelines, not to who challenges you the least and edifies the very ground you walk on 6) Chargebacks and selective underwriting- you may actually owe the money back to the company if you submit a policy that does not get issued due to health, even though sometimes the insured met the underwriting guidelines of the field guide you were issued. AIL also does not like to underwrite large policies for some reason. 7) Too many traps in the bonus system- many times as a senior manager I have not earned the bonuses I projected on earning because of the several pitfalls in the bonus system, such as the quality of the downline manager (the manager you are supervising), the fact that your downline managers did not code enough new associates (even though you might have) 8) The Peter-principle- associates are promoted to management positions to rapidly in many SGAships across AIL so they never get a chance to fully grow into their previous role and end up failing miserably at everything. Give junior associates more time to hone their skills before throwing the next task(s) at them. If you want to grow so bad, go do it yourself and stop forcing others to take on your responsibilities.

Continue reading
    1978 people found this review helpful

HR Manager

Thank you for your thorough review of the AIL opportunity. We appreciate you taking the time to help others understand the uniqueness of our Independent Agent position. We enjoy seeing our agents succeed and know that hard work and dedication is a staple of a successful AIL agent. We thank you for being a part of our AIL family!

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent Company Culture

Aug 4, 2022 - Life Insurance Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

Several times a week, there are company and agency meetings to boost morale, discuss industry tips, share success stories, and review previous weekly rankings among agents and their sales. The agent managers are super supportive and patient, the training is very thorough, and there are Groupme chats to provide constant encouragement and celebration for even the smallest accomplishments. It takes a lot of work to succeed, but it's very easy to maintain your drive with how positive the work environment is.

Cons

If you can't manage to sell anything within three months of starting, the company will terminate your contract. I wish they'd do it on a case-by-case basis (for example, I struggled with training and didn't get released for 5 weeks instead of two), but I have no hard feelings towards the company. I truly enjoyed my time as an agent.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee

Sucks

Jun 4, 2022 - General Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you're a top performer (which I was, w-9 was 110k for 2021) you can get a re up of leads and will be taken care of. If you have a solid team under you writing business you get huge overrides, bonus matching etc. Work from home - Zoom appointments only

Cons

Leads are trash, literally. Most people get called multiple times already or already been sold, or have said no. They still end up in your lead pack and continue getting recycled. They encourage you to recruit people to join your team. But it's hard to keep people when they get garbage leads and can't make a single sale, so you have to throw them your appointments so they can pay their bills. Which takes away from your pay. They try to accommodate the lead problem by encouraging you to collect as many referrals as possible from your presentation. When I say referral I mean it's literally just a name and a number that the person gave you. They have code requirements, meaning you have to hire a certain amount of people and they have to make a sale every month. If you fail to get your codes, you lose your team's overrides/bonuses etc. You're selling to people who weren't looking for insurance in the first place. Which can be good because the life insurance lead space is heavily saturated, but this tends to come with more cancellations/chargebacks. Overall, you can do well for yourself here as a solo agent if you prove yourself. But don't expect your team to do well. Best leads (POS) are really only given to top performers.

Continue reading
    7 people found this review helpful

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your experience does not represent our training and management style and we apologize if you felt you weren't given the proper support while on our team. We invite you to send us more agency details of your experience to AILfeedback@ailife.com so that we can look into your situation and help improve our agents' path to success. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.