Appen - Leapforce is one of the best online job i know of | Glassdoor
Pros
Cons
  • "Maximum of 4 hours of work allowed per day" (in 29 reviews)

• "Low pay (depending on project); subject to termination without notice or sufficient explanation" (in 28 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Leapforce is one of the best online job i know of"

Current Contractor - Data Analyst in Baltimore, MD
Current Contractor - Data Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Appen as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Leapforce for two years and still continue to work for this company. I have nothing but praises for this online job. Their website is great, the projects are great, and the pay is pretty reasonable.

Cons

Too much screen time - could have a slight negative effect on your eyes.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Good so far"

Current Employee - Web Search Evaluator
    Current Employee - Web Search Evaluator

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, work from home

Cons

application process is slow, and assignments are not given right away.

Advice to Management

move thru the hiring and give out assignments quicker

Appen Response

Jul 11, 2018

Thank you for the feedback regarding our hiring process.

"Proceed with caution"

I worked at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are seeking work from home opportunities, do not need consistent hours or pay, and are willing to put in a lot of effort for very little money under ever-changing employment conditions depending upon the project, this may be a good fit for you.

Cons

As noted, you should not expect APPEN employment to be a consistent and full-time work from home solution. At least that is not the case for most. The majority of APPEN projects are part-time, with inconsistent hours and low pay. Training for many of these projects is self-study and intense and can take weeks only to result in a minimal stipend for your time. Often, this does not even lead to actual hourly work. There are time-limited tests that must be passed to continue to be eligible for employment. No feedback is given on test performance other than pass/fail and the test can only be repeated once or twice before you are dropped from a project. So, you take a 2-hour test you studied several hours for, fail, don't know what you did wrong, and then repeat. This can go on for weeks and result in only a nominal stipend award, which you only receive for completing all pre-work and tests (and you do get the stipend regardless of wether or not you are selected for hourly work). For one project, my stipend was $160 before taxes (about $135 net). That was for 3 weeks and about 40 hours of studying, pre-work, and tests. If you do the math, that means you are taking home about $3.37 per hour. If you do get offered hourly work, those rates of pay are also often less than advertised for the project. I have seen them range from $9-$12 per hour. Also, there is minimal support available and timely assistance is not common. This company is based from Australia, so there is lag time in communication and response.

Advice to Management

Be honest and transparent in your employment opportunities. Pay fairly for work - and training - time. Give workers a realistic expectation of weekly hours for a project, and explain up front whether those hours are first-come first-served (i.e., you are competing with other workers for project hours). Communicate with workers in a timely and respectful manner.

Appen Response

Jul 10, 2018

Thank you for the detailed feedback. We take pride in delivering high-quality data to our clients and as such, our qualification and quality-control process needs to be rigorous. Our goal is to help... More

Discover more reviews about Appen.