Appen Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 14, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Mark Brayan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I would recommend this company to anyone who wants to work from home" (in 341 reviews)

• "Good money, flexible hours, good training" (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • "Maximum of 4 hours of work allowed per day" (in 26 reviews)

• "Contract work, so you could be let go without warning" (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Associate Project Manager at Kirkland WA"

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Appen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Appen I have learned so much about technology business and data administration that is put to use in the improvement of tools that millions of people use every day. Now, every time I think of a person going over a search online it makes me proud to feel like I possibly made that search more accurate and reliable in a way. Appen offers a great working environment with great office space, phenomenal people, and flexibility. At Appen, my expertise is much appreciated and always welcome, we build our teams to be diverse and provide different points of view for each and every decision.

Cons

If you are going into Appen thinking that working from home is basically having a pc on and watching Netflix then this is NOT for you. Appen provides challenging work and it will keep you engaged. (This is not really a con but more of an FYI for future applicant's consideration)

Advice to Management

Management is open, clear and always happy to interact with you. Anyone from your director to the CEO will reply to your email and provide you valuable information for your success. Keep it up!

May 9, 2018

Thanks for this excellent review and for your continued work here at Appen!

2. "Pretty great place to work"

I have been working at Appen part-time

Pros

It's contract work but it's not difficult. The pay is above min.

Cons

Can be stringent with rules on hours per day

"Not your primary source of income"

I worked at Appen part-time

Pros

Work from home, remote, virtual

Cons

Very very very Little pay

"There are better options."

Current Employee - Rating Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Rating Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Appen part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to set your own hours, provided you work the minimum per day. Does not require phone work. If the website is working properly you can usually get about 20 hours, more depending on the project. Good if you are unemployed and desperate.

Cons

I have worked here for four years now, and will be leaving soon-I didn't have unrealistic expectations but I think that I can provide a decent overview for people researching this kind of job, especially when there are better paying and much more stable part time jobs out there. So Cons: the website that you work on goes down very often, and depending on the project manager at the time, you may not get an estimated time of return for days. The pay is ok, for some of the projects it is barely over minimum wage. I just found out today that on this project I am not getting paid for having to wait for the que to load, which means I am sitting and waiting on the website for the work but not getting paid for the minutes it takes to load. The project managers are a toss-up. I have had great managers who answer questions and get back to you quickly, and who take the time to help you if you are struggling with a work issue. I have also had managers like I am under now, who take days or even over a week to get back to you about time sensitive issues. The work site has been malfunctioning for weeks and no one is getting the 20 hours. This is common throughout the different projects. I once went six weeks without work because they could not get their website to work correctly.
    The hiring process took 3 or 4 weeks. They do not pay for training, even when they put you on different projects. At times, the training for these can go 5-10 hours. The pay is once a month, and on some projects your time is counted on a timer. In the years that I have worked here, the timer has never worked and we have had to input our own hours up until recently. Since they are now going by the timer, we are not getting paid for the total of our work. You can be terminated from a project for any reason. On some projects the managers will help you if you are struggling with a guideline, on other projects you will get an email letting you know you are terminated with no notice whatsoever. You are truly disposable to this company. There are a lot of work from home options these days, and they have stable work with good overall management. If you are looking for a stable position with good management and steady hours, this is not it.

Advice to Management

BE truthful about the hours and how you pay. Be truthful about how often SRT goes down, how often the work ques are low, and how your workers can be terminated at any time without any warning. Pay for training, hire managers that don't take a week to respond to an email. Be transparent about the whole process. Fix your payroll and timer so your employees don't have stolen wages because of your low Que policies.

Jul 31, 2018

Your feedback is appreciated! At Appen, we pride ourselves on providing a fair, monthly compensation for time spent working on a project. We are also transparent with our contractors outlining... More

"Some Good, Some Bad; It Is What You Make of It!"

Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-*Relatively* flexible

-Good for those who already have a job and wish to supplement their income

-Fairly responsive management, but not always (see "Cons" section below)

-Not thrilling work, but certainly not hard, either

-For what they're having you do, the pay isn't bad. I do believe they *might* scale your pay depending on your resume/CV/experience as I seemed to have been offered a much higher hourly rate than most claim to have received

Cons

Overall, the negatives will be relatively few if you into this work with the right mindset. Yes, there are plenty of negative reviews. Most complaining about termination.

First off, this is not a job you can live off of. You cannot be paying rent, buying your groceries, and paying your bills with the income from this alone. Understand that. Secondly, Appen is not here to do *you* any favors. You volunteered to work. Don't like it? Well, then, get off your butt and get a job!

I realize and empathize with those that cannot leave the house for reasons beyond their control. However, combine this job with Microworkers, Clickworker, etc. etc. and you could probably make a decent living!

But, I digress. Certain staff members are responsive, while others will literally never, ever respond to you. Keep that in mind.

The work can be tedious and boring- but it's work. Get over it.

Instructions can be contradictory, yes. But I've also found that as long you pay attention, you'll be able to figure out what the client wants. Finally, an intermediate level of understanding of English is required- *beyond* simple fluency.

People, if misspell every other word and can barely string a sentence together, you're going to have a rough time (and will probably have your contract terminated).

Advice to Management

-Make sure your FT staff are doing their jobs when it comes to communicating with us contractors.

-Don't have instructions read, for example, "Using your best judgement.." and then expect an exact, cookie-cutter answer.

6. "Not bad, but nothing spectacular"

Pros

Remote, so comfortable, at-home setting.

Cons

The work, depending on whatever project you're on, can be tedious at times.

7. "Good so far"

Current Employee - Web Search Evaluator
    Current Employee - Web Search Evaluator

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, work from home

Cons

application process is slow, and assignments are not given right away.

Advice to Management

move thru the hiring and give out assignments quicker

Jul 11, 2018

Thank you for the feedback regarding our hiring process.

"Social Media Evaluator"

I have been working at Appen part-time

Pros

This position is a work from home job.

Cons

This company used to be good but right now it has become a ridiculous company to work for. The company's billing method is a total is not good. Raters' pay is no longer based on the Total Review Time (accurate time spent using external timer) but on Appen own timer. However, work hour their so called timer captures is ALWAYS far below that of external timer.
    If you want to work as a SLAVE, then this is your ideal job.

Advice to Management

Their is no honesty in your billing right now. Raters are not slaves. I advise you go back to the old way of billing.

9. "Really Low Payment Rate"

Former Employee - Transcriber in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Transcriber in Washington, DC

I worked at Appen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home and flexibility (If that means something to you)

Cons

Low payment rates. They were paying cents per utterances and when there is a steady flow the max will be around 6 AUD an hr. The steady flow jobs are really hard and exhausting. The training provided are lengthy documents they send with lots of info that are hard to follow. Really not worth it. I know they work for Google and Microsoft and I'm sure they get paid triple what they pay their transcribers, so stay away if you can.

Advice to Management

They won't care so what should I advice anything? They know that because they are offering 'work from home' opportunities many will fall for it, but at the end of the day they encourage cheap labor and low wedges and they profit from that tons.

"Not enough hours"

I have been working at Appen part-time

Pros

Easy work
    Can do it on your own time

Cons

Mine is messed up so instead of being able to work 4 hours a day I can only work 1

Advice to Management

Fix issues, I have sent multiple emails all of which being said the issues are fixed and they are not.

Jul 23, 2018

Sorry to hear about a lack of hours. We are hoping to address this issue in the near future. Thanks for taking the time to leave this review.

Showing 530 of 1,070 reviews