Appen Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 16, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Mark Brayan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I would recommend this company to anyone who wants to work from home" (in 369 reviews)

• "Flexible hours, not bad pay rate" (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • "Maximum of 4 hours of work allowed per day" (in 27 reviews)

• "You can be let go at any time with no warning," (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Associate Project Manager at Kirkland WA"

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Appen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Appen I have learned so much about technology business and data administration that is put to use in the improvement of tools that millions of people use every day. Now, every time I think of a person going over a search online it makes me proud to feel like I possibly made that search more accurate and reliable in a way. Appen offers a great working environment with great office space, phenomenal people, and flexibility. At Appen, my expertise is much appreciated and always welcome, we build our teams to be diverse and provide different points of view for each and every decision.

Cons

If you are going into Appen thinking that working from home is basically having a pc on and watching Netflix then this is NOT for you. Appen provides challenging work and it will keep you engaged. (This is not really a con but more of an FYI for future applicant's consideration)

Advice to Management

Management is open, clear and always happy to interact with you. Anyone from your director to the CEO will reply to your email and provide you valuable information for your success. Keep it up!

May 9, 2018

Thanks for this excellent review and for your continued work here at Appen!

2. "Social media evaluation"

I have been working at Appen part-time

Pros

Easy money and flexible hours

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of.

Oct 4, 2018

Thank you for the 5-star rating! We're happy to that you're enjoying your time here.

3. "Not that bad..."

Pros

Remote Job, easy tasks and free to work at any time

Cons

monthly payments, low hourly pay

4. "Social Media Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Attorney in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Attorney in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Appen part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Appen for 7 months when I took a break from working full time as a State of Florida attorney and travelled by motorhome from Florida to Alaska and lived in Alaska for a year. The project I was on was interesting and not difficult provided you could type and follow directions. I thought it was a great flexible part-time gig with no hassles provided I simply followed Appen's instructions on how they wanted the work done. I thought it was the perfect set up for my situation and was very happy such a job even existed. It was a blessing to discover this job. I was always paid correctly on time and received correct tax forms.

Cons

I do not have any negatives to cite. It is not a career job but perfect for those wanting income between jobs, students.

Advice to Management

None

Oct 15, 2018

Thank you being a part of Appen and for sharing your travel adventure with us!

"Not bad so far but could be better"

Current Employee - Ads Quality Rater in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Ads Quality Rater in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This type of work pays less and is usually less flexible.
    The work is not hard.
    The support team is great.
    The web tools are great.

Cons

You do not get paid in a timely matter. One month is 2 weeks to a month is too long to wait. This is not a salary career.
    They do not know when a project ends. You just keep working ( another review above says so). I believe this is true because I asked about this and I did not receive a response from support the next morning. I usually get a response the next morning. Who knows how long this project will last. I have a job.

Advice to Management

Change the pay period to 2 weeks instead of 1 month and get people paid faster. A 1 month pay period is unreal and made up.

Oct 11, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. I want to clarify that we do pay in a timely manner which means that we pay when we say we will pay you. As for your suggestion of increasing the... More

"Crowd Survey"

I worked at Appen part-time

Pros

Easy and quick work/surveys to fill out and complete

Cons

Payment only gets sent about a month after.

"Social Media Evaluator"

Former Employee - Social Media Evaluator
    Former Employee - Social Media Evaluator

I worked at Appen (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible, legit work from home job. Great for stay at home parents, students.

Cons

Projects change frequently with very little notice, not paid to train, no pay if the tool is down(tool is down frequently) not dependable enough to pay the bills. Sometimes holidays must be worked. Some projects are extremely boring and tedious.

Advice to Management

More notice if possible when changing projects, provide advancement opportunities or raises, work to make the tool more reliable.

Sep 25, 2018

Thank you for this review. We'd like to hear more about the changing projects that you experienced. If you'd be willing to share more detail with us, please email us at appenhelpdesk@appen.com.... More

"Life with Appen"

Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The qualification exam was'nt as hard as other similar companies.The support team is quick to respond to issues.So far this has been a positive work from home opportunity.

Cons

Workers arent sure of how long the assigned project will last and pay is only once a month.

Advice to Management

I have been pleased with the response to my questions.I enjoy working for this company so far.

Sep 25, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to submit this review.

"Social Media Evaluator"

I have been working at Appen part-time

Pros

Very flexible hours. Basically I can work whenever I want. Easy work that allows you to earn money from home without having to talk to customers on the phone. This job is great. What I am doing now is rating social media ads which is very easy and I am really happy with this job.

Cons

I am only able to work one hour per day, which equals only able to put in 7 hours per week. If they provided more hours I would certainly do more hours.

Advice to Management

Allow your workers to work more hours. If you were able to provide me with 30 hours per week or so I would eagerly take you up on the extra work.

Sep 11, 2018

We appreciate your feedback. We're working hard to more hours and more consistency in hours from week to week.

"Perfect fit for an active mom"

Current Employee - Independent Contractor
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor

I have been working at Appen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working for appen. The pay is great and on time. The work is steady and can be done in hours that work best for me and my active family. Issues are resolved very quickly and audits are fair and reasonable

Cons

None to list. This is an amazing company

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work.

Sep 18, 2018

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write this. We appreciate your kind words.

Showing 570 of 1,157 reviews