Appen Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 7, 2018

Appen CEO Mark Brayan
Mark Brayan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I would recommend this company to anyone who wants to work from home" (in 385 reviews)

• "Flexible hours, not bad pay rate" (in 91 reviews)

Cons
  • "Maximum of 4 hours of work allowed per day" (in 28 reviews)

• "Independent contractor (no benefits)" (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Associate Project Manager at Kirkland WA"

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Appen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Appen I have learned so much about technology business and data administration that is put to use in the improvement of tools that millions of people use every day. Now, every time I think of a person going over a search online it makes me proud to feel like I possibly made that search more accurate and reliable in a way. Appen offers a great working environment with great office space, phenomenal people, and flexibility. At Appen, my expertise is much appreciated and always welcome, we build our teams to be diverse and provide different points of view for each and every decision.

Cons

If you are going into Appen thinking that working from home is basically having a pc on and watching Netflix then this is NOT for you. Appen provides challenging work and it will keep you engaged. (This is not really a con but more of an FYI for future applicant's consideration)

Advice to Management

Management is open, clear and always happy to interact with you. Anyone from your director to the CEO will reply to your email and provide you valuable information for your success. Keep it up!

May 9, 2018

Thanks for this excellent review and for your continued work here at Appen!

"Overall great experience!"

Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Austin, TX

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am actually surprised with how much I am enjoying my current experience with Appen. Picked up a few projects that I had a fun time doing, wasn’t too hard either. They make sure you have all the knowledge beforehand so that helped me a lot in feeling comfortable. Communication with management was no problem. Overall, for a side job for a student or someone looking for supplementary income it’s not bad. I really enjoyed being able to work at home with a lot of flexibility!

Cons

It probably can’t pay all the bills, unless you have more than one project with a nice set of hours/pay but it’s not a guarantee which can be disheartening. Multiple little projects can add but though, but depends on how much you are willing to apply yourself.

Oct 31, 2018

We're so glad to hear that you're enjoying the work! Thanks for the review.

3. "Social media evaluator"

Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job is very flexible. Works well for secondary income.

Cons

Pay is lower than other jobs.

4. "It was ok"

I worked at Appen part-time

Pros

work at home is a pro

Cons

very tedious and unreliable work

"Not bad"

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was a great option to make a little income being a stay at home mom.

Cons

Project ended two weeks ago and I haven't received an email back about starting a new job.

"Good for making money"

Pros

work from home
    good pay for the job

Cons

repetitive, boring, no communication with others

"Social Media Evaluator"

I have been working at Appen part-time

Pros

Hours are totally flexible and the work is easy and manageable. It's a perfect part time, work from home job for busy Moms like myself!

Cons

The work can dry up with little notice and you have to wait to be added to another project. They explain this up front so it's not unexpected.

Advice to Management

Sometimes the communication can be difficult since it is all via email, but overall it has been effective and a great opportunity. Keep up the good work!

Oct 24, 2018

If you have any ideas on ways we could make our email communication better, we'd love to hear more from you! Please email us at appenhelpdesk@appen.com. Thank you for taking the time to post this... More

"Social Media Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Attorney in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Attorney in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Appen part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Appen for 7 months when I took a break from working full time as a State of Florida attorney and travelled by motorhome from Florida to Alaska and lived in Alaska for a year. The project I was on was interesting and not difficult provided you could type and follow directions. I thought it was a great flexible part-time gig with no hassles provided I simply followed Appen's instructions on how they wanted the work done. I thought it was the perfect set up for my situation and was very happy such a job even existed. It was a blessing to discover this job. I was always paid correctly on time and received correct tax forms.

Cons

I do not have any negatives to cite. It is not a career job but perfect for those wanting income between jobs, students.

Advice to Management

None

Oct 15, 2018

Thank you being a part of Appen and for sharing your travel adventure with us!

9. "Search Engine Evaluator"

I worked at Appen part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, pey per hour

Cons

No benefits, subjective work, not always available jobs

"Not bad so far but could be better"

Current Employee - Ads Quality Rater in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Ads Quality Rater in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This type of work pays less and is usually less flexible.
    The work is not hard.
    The support team is great.
    The web tools are great.

Cons

You do not get paid in a timely matter. One month is 2 weeks to a month is too long to wait. This is not a salary career.
    They do not know when a project ends. You just keep working ( another review above says so). I believe this is true because I asked about this and I did not receive a response from support the next morning. I usually get a response the next morning. Who knows how long this project will last. I have a job.

Advice to Management

Change the pay period to 2 weeks instead of 1 month and get people paid faster. A 1 month pay period is unreal and made up.

Oct 11, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. I want to clarify that we do pay in a timely manner which means that we pay when we say we will pay you. As for your suggestion of increasing the... More