Appen Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Mark Brayan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I would recommend this company to anyone who wants to work from home (in 324 reviews)

• Good money, flexible hours, good training (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Maximum of 4 hours of work allowed per day (in 26 reviews)

• Contract work, so you could be let go without warning (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Associate Project Manager at Kirkland WA"

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Appen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Appen I have learned so much about technology business and data administration that is put to use in the improvement of tools that millions of people use every day. Now, every time I think of a person going over a search online it makes me proud to feel like I possibly made that search more accurate and reliable in a way. Appen offers a great working environment with great office space, phenomenal people, and flexibility. At Appen, my expertise is much appreciated and always welcome, we build our teams to be diverse and provide different points of view for each and every decision.

Cons

If you are going into Appen thinking that working from home is basically having a pc on and watching Netflix then this is NOT for you. Appen provides challenging work and it will keep you engaged. (This is not really a con but more of an FYI for future applicant's consideration)

Advice to Management

Management is open, clear and always happy to interact with you. Anyone from your director to the CEO will reply to your email and provide you valuable information for your success. Keep it up!

May 9, 2018

Thanks for this excellent review and for your continued work here at Appen!

2. "Appen is a great place to work and grow!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Smyrna, TN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Smyrna, TN

I have been working at Appen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diversity. Management, CEO are caring, friendly and approachable. Work is exciting and results are gratifying. Good benefits. Plans are always being made and implemented to improve productivity and job satisfaction.

Cons

Occasionally there are tight deadlines or heavy workloads that can be stressful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

May 19, 2018

Thanks for this review. We also want to tell you to keep up the good work!

"Some Good, Some Bad; It Is What You Make of It!"

Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-*Relatively* flexible

-Good for those who already have a job and wish to supplement their income

-Fairly responsive management, but not always (see "Cons" section below)

-Not thrilling work, but certainly not hard, either

-For what they're having you do, the pay isn't bad. I do believe they *might* scale your pay depending on your resume/CV/experience as I seemed to have been offered a much higher hourly rate than most claim to have received

Cons

Overall, the negatives will be relatively few if you into this work with the right mindset. Yes, there are plenty of negative reviews. Most complaining about termination.

First off, this is not a job you can live off of. You cannot be paying rent, buying your groceries, and paying your bills with the income from this alone. Understand that. Secondly, Appen is not here to do *you* any favors. You volunteered to work. Don't like it? Well, then, get off your butt and get a job!

I realize and empathize with those that cannot leave the house for reasons beyond their control. However, combine this job with Microworkers, Clickworker, etc. etc. and you could probably make a decent living!

But, I digress. Certain staff members are responsive, while others will literally never, ever respond to you. Keep that in mind.

The work can be tedious and boring- but it's work. Get over it.

Instructions can be contradictory, yes. But I've also found that as long you pay attention, you'll be able to figure out what the client wants. Finally, an intermediate level of understanding of English is required- *beyond* simple fluency.

People, if misspell every other word and can barely string a sentence together, you're going to have a rough time (and will probably have your contract terminated).

Advice to Management

-Make sure your FT staff are doing their jobs when it comes to communicating with us contractors.

-Don't have instructions read, for example, "Using your best judgement.." and then expect an exact, cookie-cutter answer.

4. "Director"

I have been working at Appen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Appen's main focus as a company is focused on culture, and building an environment where everyone at every level feels a part of the team. I have been with the company for a short time, and learnt so much both from an industry and leadership perspective. The energy of the team, and the vision of the leadership team is really inspiring. I am so glad to have joined the team.

Cons

I look forward to seeing the company grow as our business grows, and seeing how we excel in the industry.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the things that are already of key importance to us, which are our people, our rater community, and our customers.

5. "Loving It!"

I have been working at Appen full-time

Pros

Appen is a fair and flexible employer. The business challenges are interesting. The aspirations for where the company wants to go are high. The reviews on Glassdoor from the contractors do not reflect the experience you'll have as a permanent employee.

There is flexibility with the working schedule. You get to work on a global business on both B2B and B2C which is far more interesting than other jobs I've had. There are offices around the world and it's awesome to be able to visit those places.

Cons

Some of the systems and people in charge are old-timers so you might have an adjustment period if you're coming from another tech company where things are more agile. The offices in the US are a little dated and not the most interesting work environment.

May 9, 2018

Thanks for this stellar review! Our global presence and workforce is indeed what makes our company special.

6. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Appen full-time

Pros

The office environment is friendly and supportive. The management is receptive and the job flexibility is great. I really enjoy the diversity of the people I work with and feel the company values us.

Cons

HR is slow to respond to requests/questions

Advice to Management

Offer more opportunities for in-person, company sponsored personal improvement such as trainings, workshops, and conferences. Online options are great but some things are better in person

May 11, 2018

So happy to hear that you feel supported at Appen! I agree that one of the best parts of the company is the diverse group of people we get to work with. Thanks for the feedback on the training... More

7. "Great opportunity with a fast-paced, global company"

I have been working at Appen full-time

Pros

Appen is a growing company with lots of opportunities for skill development. Every day is different and you will gain exposure to many aspects of the business. The flexibility is great- I can work from home part of the week which makes a huge difference for my schedule. The company is filled with talented employees who are highly committed to delivering the best quality for customers. If you are looking for the chance for more ownership and impact, Appen is the place for you.

Cons

The rapid growth at Appen has resulted in some communication issues which are being addressed. Also there are times when deadlines are unrealistic, and more planning is needed to avoid straining the team.

Advice to Management

Make sure to set reasonable deadlines with your teams when adding to workload.

May 9, 2018

Thanks for this review and for your continued work here at Appen! Also, please know that your feedback related deadlines has been heard and will be passed along to our teams.

8. "Interesting work, great people, growing company"

I have been working at Appen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-The work we do is fascinating, working with industry leaders on cutting-edge machine learning technology
    -The people are friendly, competent, and easy to work with; it's fun getting to know coworkers around the globe
    -Many positions offer the flexibility of working from home for the majority of the time

Cons

-The company has grown quite a bit over the past several years and has gone public, which has resulted in greater focus on keeping investors happy and less focus on keeping employees happy

Advice to Management

One of the best parts of working for Appen has always been the focus on work-life balance. Do not let this slip away! A happy, healthy workforce will make for a stronger company. Pushing employees to do more and more will only drive talent away.

May 9, 2018

We’re happy you took the time to post this thoughtful review. I will personally ensure that your feedback is heard in terms of keeping the focus on employees so we can keep this place thriving and... More

9. "Appen Salary"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Appen (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible time to work
    Some tasks are fun to do

Cons

Not many tasks
    Income is not stable

"Good Part Time Work"

Current Employee - Web Search Evaluator in Spring Hill, FL
    Current Employee - Web Search Evaluator in Spring Hill, FL

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy Work, Pay is always on time

Cons

Does not offer full time hours.

May 18, 2018

Thank you for your review.