Appen Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Mark Brayan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • For a Work from Home position I really couldn't ask for anything more (in 292 reviews)

• Flexible hours - choose when you work (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • Strict 20 hours per week schedule (if you fail it - you will get fired) and you can work no more than 4 hours per day (in 24 reviews)

• No benefits aside from a small PTO accrual (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Appen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Remote work and flexibility
    Interesting projects and clients
    Challenging dynamic environment
    Intelligent and thoughtful leadership
    I love working for Appen!

Cons

I noticed several reviews saying this isn't a real opportunity - it absolutely is a real work from home contract opportunity and is definitely not a scam. . . but it is contract work. If you have never done contract work, it's a good idea to investigate how that works before applying or writing a review expecting employee benefits and practices and talking negatively about it instead of realizing that it is par for the course of what to expect when it comes to contracted work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jul 24, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We love hearing success stories from our crowd.
    We’re so glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with Appen!
    Thank you for your suggestions! We are always happy to... More

"Good for a temporary remote job"

Former Employee - Data Annotator in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Data Annotator in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Appen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours,
    you can work from anywhere with Internet connection
    nice people
    good training

Cons

hours are literally ''working'' hours, so it feels long because the time you go to a bathroom, take a break, relax etc. don't count. (maybe I was taking it seriously...)

3. "Project Manager"

I worked at Appen full-time

Pros

Flexibility, Home-office, Horizontal Structure, Friendly environment

Cons

Loose processes, Unclear reporting system, Firefighter mode

Advice to Management

Set up consultants and PMs for success with clear guidelines, expectations, reporting system and tools to make goals more easily attainable

"A fair place to make an honest dollar."

Current Employee - Auditor
    Current Employee - Auditor

I have been working at Appen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

First of all this is my third review, but we can't update old ones so here I go. I've been with Appen for over a year, first as an evaluator then as an auditor. I've had varying degrees of opinions as time has gone by so I will give an honest review for my current thoughts.

-The pay is above is minimum wage, but this depends on your area. Hourly this pays better than some full time jobs. With extra hours (depending on your project) it can be a significant paycheck.

-The process to apply and start is simple, you read a lot of negativity online and honestly, these must be people who have never searched for a job. Plenty of companies in my experience never reply to applications, take forever to hire, and even if you get hired the onboard process can take several days before you can start or feel like anything but a freeloader. So, if Appen didn't give you an offer within a week, take it easy, maybe you're not a good fit or they don't have anything, just because it's a work from home opportunity it doesn't mean they hire everyone all the time.

-The jobs are usually fairly easy and once you figure it out you can manage to work with a podcast in the background, TV or a movie.

-Flexible, want to go take a nap? Go ahead. Want to finish early today? Start at 6AM,not in a hurry? Start at noon. Had an emergency? Alright just work at 7PM. Just meed the quota and you will be fine.

-Platforms are provided to communicate and clarify concerns.

-They give you opportunities to improve your quality if there is a decline or any other issues.

Cons

Now for the cons, because while I overall give them a good rating, some things could be improved.

-As people say, the work is subjetive, that is a fact and will cause disputes. To me this isn't a con necessarily, but it isn't a pro either, just a fact of the work type. They do try to clarify as much as possible but sometimes can contradict themselves. As an auditor I've noticed a lot of the problems come due to some people lacking common sense and not properly using the platforms Appen provides. Again, there is subjectivity, but people make it worse than it should be because they don't properly follow guidelines or use all their available tools. Now, the reason people do this brings me to my second point.

-You are not paid for reviewing guidelines, emailing, clarifying doubts on the platforms. This is to be expected, because how would you stop someone from wasting time "researching" then billing for it? There are a lot clever people out there that make this a necessary evil, but on the flipside, it keeps people from helping themselves (which in the long run can affect them, but that's their choice) by stopping to research information.

-The tools can malfunction quite a bit. Now, flexibility is a huge pro, but that gets thrown out of the window if the tools keep malfunctioning and suddenly your flexibility is gone as the Workflow stops updating/systen crashes/can't login etc. It sucks when suddenly you find yourself unable to finish your work because something went wrong and you have to finish 5 hours later or something like that.

-Emails can sometimes take quite a bit to answer.

-Would be great if one could give feedback about guidelines to identify problem areas and maybe reach a concensus of what is "right" for certain scenarios. One can email management, sure , but one will not be able to help feeling fastidious or simply as overstepping bounds.

-No paid holidays or PTO. Holidays I can understand (as you can just take it free and make up) but PTO for people who have been there a certain amount of time would be nice.

Advice to Management

Well my advice would be
    -Try to get tool issues worked out. They really interfere with meeting weekly quotas if someone has another job/responsibilities when the tools are actually working (early morning in my case it seems).

-Find ways to encourage everyone to keep up with guidelines

-Provide guidelines for the more complicated scenarios, some things are cut and dry, but others are real head scratchers.

-Let the project participants (both auditors and raters) provide feedback on guidelines, it can only help the quality of the data.

Nov 6, 2017

On behalf of our entire team, I want to thank you for spending so much time to write this articulate review. I plan to share your feedback with our company leaders. If you’d be willing to have a... More

"Some Good, Some Bad; It Is What You Make of It!"

Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-*Relatively* flexible

-Good for those who already have a job and wish to supplement their income

-Fairly responsive management, but not always (see "Cons" section below)

-Not thrilling work, but certainly not hard, either

-For what they're having you do, the pay isn't bad. I do believe they *might* scale your pay depending on your resume/CV/experience as I seemed to have been offered a much higher hourly rate than most claim to have received

Cons

Overall, the negatives will be relatively few if you into this work with the right mindset. Yes, there are plenty of negative reviews. Most complaining about termination.

First off, this is not a job you can live off of. You cannot be paying rent, buying your groceries, and paying your bills with the income from this alone. Understand that. Secondly, Appen is not here to do *you* any favors. You volunteered to work. Don't like it? Well, then, get off your butt and get a job!

I realize and empathize with those that cannot leave the house for reasons beyond their control. However, combine this job with Microworkers, Clickworker, etc. etc. and you could probably make a decent living!

But, I digress. Certain staff members are responsive, while others will literally never, ever respond to you. Keep that in mind.

The work can be tedious and boring- but it's work. Get over it.

Instructions can be contradictory, yes. But I've also found that as long you pay attention, you'll be able to figure out what the client wants. Finally, an intermediate level of understanding of English is required- *beyond* simple fluency.

People, if misspell every other word and can barely string a sentence together, you're going to have a rough time (and will probably have your contract terminated).

Advice to Management

-Make sure your FT staff are doing their jobs when it comes to communicating with us contractors.

-Don't have instructions read, for example, "Using your best judgement.." and then expect an exact, cookie-cutter answer.

"Great Side Work For Students, But Beware of Unforeseen Contract Termination"

Former Employee - Social Media Evaluator
    Former Employee - Social Media Evaluator

I worked at Appen (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work from almost anywhere due the remote nature of Appen's jobs

Cons

Contracts can be terminated without warning, despite keeping up a high level of service quality

Frequent technical issues on their systems

"Wow, looks like I'm under paid"

Pros

set own hours, work is easy

Cons

work isn't steady if you aren't on contract. It took 6 months before I was offered a contract postiton

8. "Easy part time work"

Current Employee - Curator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Curator in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Good pay for simple work. Consistent communication from management once on a project.

Cons

Hiring process can take awhile and leave potential employees confused. Lack of tasks sometimes makes it difficult to reach hour threshold you were hired for.

Advice to Management

Keep the guidelines as simplistic as possible.

"Okay"

Pros

All remote work and allows for flexibility and ability to work on schedule.

Cons

Long training and paperwork time

10. "Remote worker"

Former Employee - Remote Worker
    Former Employee - Remote Worker

I worked at Appen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good remote work available, good communication, upfront about expectations, clear guidelines provided for training purposes, good feedback given on your work

Cons

The pay could be better with geographic location taken into account, the duration of your position could be made clearer

Advice to Management

Give a raise or reward incentive for consistent good reviews

Feb 6, 2018

Thank you for submitting this review and for your idea regarding incentives for great performers. We're working on a system to be able to do that in the future.