Apple - I interned at Apple this summer (2013). I was surprised at lack of diversity. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

"I interned at Apple this summer (2013). I was surprised at lack of diversity."

Former Employee - Intern in Cupertino, CA
Former Employee - Intern in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The internship was a great experience. We were introduced to the Apple culture, plus had executive speakers, and other fun activities. The company also provided housing.

Cons

The only problem I noticed at Apple was the diversity. I am a non-person of color but realized that there weren't many people of color in our intern class. It was quite noticeable especially during our intern events. There were like 5 interns of color out of hundreds of interns. During lunch at main campus, I never did see hardly any people of color sitting at a table. It was kind of odd to say the least. I thought Apple corporate diversity would resemble the retail store diversity. I could tell the interns of color noticed it too. I was talking to one of them and the intern mentioned visiting Google campus and that it was way more diverse. I recently visited Google at lunch for an interview and my friend was right, it’s a totally different feeling. Google’s executive leadership on the website even shows a person of color and a woman. I love Apple but sometimes wondered if it was by design (like their products). As a non-person of color, I felt Apple corporate Intern program could improve on this front. It was obvious that there isn't a voice pushing this in upper management. My 2 cents...

Advice to Management

Great intern program, bravo, but increase diversity of people of color...it just looks off.

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

1. "Great Company to work for!"

Pros

This is definitely a great company to work for. Learned a lot and worked with some of the most intelligent people on the planet.

Cons

It is very hard to move up. Once there are a lot of employees all going for the same positions and it is not always based on merit.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more

2. "Apple Experience"

Current Employee - AHA Pro in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - AHA Pro in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products, Great training, Great management support, Fast advancement opportunities. I have found great support since day one and it never stops coming.

Cons

In my time with the company I have not found any disappointments. Everything I was told upfront before hiring was true.

Advice to Management

None