KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Former Employee

Still a Zero

Jun 29, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

*Disclaimer: I wrote a review previously while I was an employee. This is a review of my experience after one year out. Pros were that while I was there, we had Penguin-Random House benefits packages through Anthem Blue Cross for health insurance and your typical dental/vision coverage. Just being associated with a big-time publisher was enough for me to feel good about my choice to work there when I was first hired on. Other positives were that we had snacks delivered each morning (granola bars, fresh fruit, trail mix, etc.) to keep us satiated if we missed breakfast on occasion. And we also had a fairly nice PTO offering (40 hours of sick time, 2 weeks of vacay in the first year, then 3 weeks of vacay the second year and so on the more experience you had).

Cons

Being away from the company now for an entire year has really made me feel exceptionally grateful I do not work at ASI anymore. I now work in an office that prides itself in its work, doesn't rip off anyone for profit or other gains, and truly appreciates and fosters the growth of its staff. At ASI, managers at the mid-level and above were not trained properly on company policy, harassment, etc. My team and I were constantly bullied, treated unfairly, and given the silent treatment each day by our leader. We had no incentive to do good work, so those of us who really wanted to care just stopped. It's an understatement to say we had low morale; there was no morale. All we had was one another to get through each day. The thing that worries me more than anything is that ASI was a starting place for many college graduates in Bloomington who wanted to stay and enjoy this town. The pay was atrocious for the workload across many departments, leadership was completely uninformed of how their mid-level managers were treating employees, and many things were swept under the rug when problems were taken to HR or brought up to upper managers as being concrete issues. I've lost a lot of the fight in me to make this review a total and utter bashing of the place that convinced me that all other offices are this way and that my managers will never trust me to be a good employee. I only now feel sorry for those employees still left (and those who have recently been laid off due to the sale/acquisition) to clean up after the former CEO and the mess he left of this rapidly decaying company.

10 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great company

Oct 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Not their fault but the industry of self publishing is up and down.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Interesting job

Nov 14, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun co workers, interesting clients

Cons

Low pay, not much room for advancement

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Author Solutions.