Expensify.com - Best company I've had the privilege to work with (so far) | Glassdoor

"Best company I've had the privilege to work with (so far)"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Expensify.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Let me explain why I've been at Expensify for 2+ years and not looking to leave any time soon. - I joined the team when it consisted of around 30 people, so I've had the tremendous opportunity to see how the leadership team handles the pains of a growing company. I am impressed with the creativity of the solutions, the level of engagement showcased in cross-team collaboration, and of course, by the success and... speed at which we've grown quickly, but not too quickly. I love the emphasis on hiring quality over quantity, which is the driver of this strategic growth. - The people here are awesome. As the bossman says in his review, hard work, humility, and ambition are key to success at Expensify. As a result, you get to work amongst the smartest and warmest people, but who don't coast on their successes at a previous company. Instead, they leverage and adjust past experiences to become successful at Expensify (which frankly should be the case anywhere you go). They also have their own personal ambitions and interests, and there's lots of great opportunities for all of us to really get to know each other (like offshore, company retreat, etc) - There is a deep understanding and appreciation for both engineers and non-engineers alike. That might be a strange thing to say, but the general attitude I've gotten in SF/the Valley is that engineers are king, and everyone else doesn't really matter. At Expensify, it doesn't matter if you're marketing, sales, engineering, success coach, success, or something in between. Everyone can make a positive impact, and everyone is just here to do our part. - You get a lot of autonomy over your projects, but at the same time, you are supported by your team and lead should you need a bit more support. Sometimes you're just thrown into things you might not know anything about, but to me that shows that people trust me and don't need to babysit. Plus, there's always a helping hand around when you need it. - Perhaps the most important factor here is that the CEO cares and thinks about what your ambitions are and what you're motivated by, and takes those factors into consideration as a function of your job. He is also not stupid and doesn't blindly assume that everyone will stay at Expensify for the rest of their lives, so his stance is "what are you passionate about, and how can I/Expensify help?" Much like his product/company vision, i really appreciate and respect that he acts and reacts based on what is happening around us (i.e. life). - Also, people are growing and maturing here all the time - starting families, buying homes, etc. and for what it's worth, Expensify works hard to keep up with those trends and make this a great work environment for everyone. Whether you're a new grad, a recent mom or dad, in a long term relationship, or anything in between, It's nice to know that no matter what stage you are in your life, Expensify is somewhere you can be. Really - the culture here is spectacular for all the reasons above.

Cons

We're a pretty flat organization, so people expecting to get a title or promotion immediately based on experience or "time served" might be disappointed. Management roles aren't created just to have them. If you don't care as much about titles, this won't affect you so much.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - leading, guiding, nurturing, and kicking butt. The leadership team here is great.

Expensify.com2016-07-27

Other Employee Reviews

"Fun, Exciting Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Expensify.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great benefits - Lots of Autonomy - Opportunities abound to get involved with whatever you want - Social environment that cannot be matched - Incredible co-workers all over the globe - Yearly excursion to a foreign country

Cons

Because you are given so much autonomy and equal opportunity, there will be plenty of times where you need to go out and get what you want. Nothing's really "handed down" in any formal sense.

Expensify.com2019-03-10

"Overall, a great company"

Former Employee - Success Coach

I worked at Expensify.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great perks, good people, fun culture.

Cons

Flat structure, but with very high stress levels.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees before making decisions based on what you perceive to be true, rather than what is true in actuality.

Expensify.com2019-08-30

Discover more reviews about Expensify.com.