KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best company I've had the privilege to work with (so far)

Jul 27, 2016 - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Let me explain why I've been at Expensify for 2+ years and not looking to leave any time soon. - I joined the team when it consisted of around 30 people, so I've had the tremendous opportunity to see how the leadership team handles the pains of a growing company. I am impressed with the creativity of the solutions, the level of engagement showcased in cross-team collaboration, and of course, by the success and speed at which we've grown quickly, but not too quickly. I love the emphasis on hiring quality over quantity, which is the driver of this strategic growth. - The people here are awesome. As the bossman says in his review, hard work, humility, and ambition are key to success at Expensify. As a result, you get to work amongst the smartest and warmest people, but who don't coast on their successes at a previous company. Instead, they leverage and adjust past experiences to become successful at Expensify (which frankly should be the case anywhere you go). They also have their own personal ambitions and interests, and there's lots of great opportunities for all of us to really get to know each other (like offshore, company retreat, etc) - There is a deep understanding and appreciation for both engineers and non-engineers alike. That might be a strange thing to say, but the general attitude I've gotten in SF/the Valley is that engineers are king, and everyone else doesn't really matter. At Expensify, it doesn't matter if you're marketing, sales, engineering, success coach, success, or something in between. Everyone can make a positive impact, and everyone is just here to do our part. - You get a lot of autonomy over your projects, but at the same time, you are supported by your team and lead should you need a bit more support. Sometimes you're just thrown into things you might not know anything about, but to me that shows that people trust me and don't need to babysit. Plus, there's always a helping hand around when you need it. - Perhaps the most important factor here is that the CEO cares and thinks about what your ambitions are and what you're motivated by, and takes those factors into consideration as a function of your job. He is also not stupid and doesn't blindly assume that everyone will stay at Expensify for the rest of their lives, so his stance is "what are you passionate about, and how can I/Expensify help?" Much like his product/company vision, i really appreciate and respect that he acts and reacts based on what is happening around us (i.e. life). - Also, people are growing and maturing here all the time - starting families, buying homes, etc. and for what it's worth, Expensify works hard to keep up with those trends and make this a great work environment for everyone. Whether you're a new grad, a recent mom or dad, in a long term relationship, or anything in between, It's nice to know that no matter what stage you are in your life, Expensify is somewhere you can be. Really - the culture here is spectacular for all the reasons above.

Cons

We're a pretty flat organization, so people expecting to get a title or promotion immediately based on experience or "time served" might be disappointed. Management roles aren't created just to have them. If you don't care as much about titles, this won't affect you so much.

Continue reading
    4 people found this review helpful

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

10/10

May 11, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers become friends, those friends become family. Expensify has a bold vision, flat structure, and competitive strategy for employee retention. I love working here.

Cons

Transitioning from a start-up to a public company is a new challenge!

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

4+ years and don't plan on leaving

Apr 12, 2021 - Marketing Generalist in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The growth opportunities are legitimately endless. Great "growth & rec" program that gives you paths to follow and rewards progress with perks (and usually raises!). Speaking of comp, it's definitely above market rate and revisited every 6 months in a super democratic process that involves most of the company. The founder/CEO is extremely fair in all regards, super smart on the business side, and world-class on the technical side. You won't find another company that cares about its employees like Expensify. Team trips abroad for a month every year are just the cherry on top!

Cons

It's not for everyone. There are no managers, hierarchy, or official titles. Yes, there's some structure to how we operate, but if you're not the ambitious type who can get scrappy as needed and find a way to contribute...this might not be the place for you. Also, if you're looking to "specialize" in a certain skill -- say, iOS engineer -- then this is definitely not the place for you. We're all trying to be generalists who can jump into any situation and solve any problem.

7 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Expensify.com.

Expensify.com Photos

+ Add Photo
Expensify.com photo of: Travel with us to Spain! Past trips include Vietnam, Italy and Uruguay
Expensify.com photo of: work from any of our global offices!
Expensify.com photo of: The LAT in our San Francisco office
Expensify.com photo of: White boards are always available for staged or un-staged photography sessions
Expensify.com photo of: Dog friendly in all of our offices!
Expensify.com photo of: View from the Portland office
Expensify.com photo of: Fully stocked kitchens in all of our offices