1. "Incredible experience"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Facebook is an incredible place to work. You are constantly surrounded by some of the world's most intelligent and capable people, and Facebook's open culture allows you to really learn from your peers and their experiences. As an intern, I didn't get some random project that would be scrapped the second I left. It was real, meaningful work that has been on my team's roadmap for years. Between employees and even interns, there's an implicit level of trust and mutual respect between co-workers that I think would be difficult to find anywhere else. If you're here, you are probably GOOD at what you do. When a team of people truly trust each other and their ability to deliver, it makes for a strong team. The internship program itself is absolutely amazing. I really feel that I have a better grasp of what it means to be a great software engineer. I've also learned what qualities and traits define strong managers so I can better recognize them in the future, a skill that is deeply underrated. The compensation and benefits are absolutely incredible – on par with other Silicon Valley tech companies (still incredible). The programs that the intern program managers organized were also amazing – my favorite were the QA's with members of senior management, including Mark, Sheryl, Brian Acton, Palmer Luckey, and others. One thing I really noticed about my short time at Facebook is that people are just plain happy. I don't know if it's just a California thing, but I felt like I was surrounded by people that genuinely liked being there. From little things like the security guard wishing me a happy "Thursday eve" to deep one on one conversations with my manager, it became evident that people were very comfortable expressing themselves.

Cons

Facebook moves fast. Really, really fast. The pace definitely took some getting used to, but I think it's coupled with the implicit trust I mentioned before. I had to come up to speed with the tech stack (completely foreign to me before) very quickly so I could actually contribute, and there is so much to learn. There are definitely extremely high expectations. It was sort of a sink-or-swim environment. That being said, people were open in acknowledging this, and my co-workers were always open to assisting me if I was struggling with something. Even with the high bar for performance, it never really felt very stressful because everyone was so supportive.

Continue reading
  1. "Cushy SWE Job"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time

Pros

Great salary, benefits, people, etc.

Cons

The work can feel meaningless.

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredible benefits - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance - Lots of autonomy - Tons of room for growth - Very transparent from the top down - Strong leadership - Intelligent and caring colleagues - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it. - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Continue reading

Facebook Response

Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to your HR Business Partner.

Discover more reviews about Facebook.