Facebook - Talent colleagues, terrible work life balance and some very incompetent managers | Glassdoor

"Talent colleagues, terrible work life balance and some very incompetent managers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

- top leadership is transparent about company direction - very good tools for work - very talented employees - move fast and (still break things): can be good or bad - opportunities to make impact - opportunities to learn new skills on your own time

Cons

- Work life balance is terrible. Everyone in my team works outside regular hours, night and weekends. No one will explicitly say that you have to do this but given the competitive culture, you pretty much put in extra hours. - my particular business unit has toxic culture and high turnover among managers. (CO) - Some managers are promoted from IC and do not know how to lead teams - Great place for singles but not...

Advice to Management

Please foster a positive culture and no brilliant jerks

Facebook2018-10-05

Facebook Response

November 9, 2018Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for this thoughtful feedback. We are encouraged to hear you have opportunities to make an impact and learn new skills in role. We know how important balancing work and personal life is to your overall satisfaction and well-being at Facebook. Consistently working late is ...

1. "Growing pains but a great work environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment with smart and diverse set of perspectives Benefits that allow you to focus on doing your best work Team and management that look out for your career Career opportunities to grow as a person and technically

Cons

No doubt that there are internal and external issues that we’re facing. A lot of it is warranted, a lot of it not. This is a pivotal moment in our company to think real hard about the impact of our products. I think there’s opportunity for middle management and executives to learn from these mistakes and come out as a stronger and better company.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring a diverse set of backgrounds and thoughts. There is value in understanding the varied ideas behind our communities.

Facebook2019-06-22

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredible benefits - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance - Lots of autonomy - Tons of room for growth - Very transparent from the top down - Strong leadership - Intelligent and caring colleagues - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it. - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook2017-02-17

Facebook Response

April 17, 2017Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to your HR Business Partner.

Discover more reviews about Facebook.