Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory - Technician | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "Work life balance is the biggest advantage" (in 113 reviews)

• "I see the lab working hard to be a great place to work, which it is" (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being a government contractor does mean there is a lot of red tape" (in 40 reviews)

• "Of course, the cost of living in the Bay Area makes the 'good' salaries not reach as far" (in 16 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Technician"

Current Employee - Senior Scientific Technologist in Livermore, CA
Current Employee - Senior Scientific Technologist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been working here for more than 25 years. It is a great place to work. The people who work here are top notch and the opportunity to expand your skills and move between positions is pretty much limitless.

Cons

Funded by the federal government which means documentation of all activities.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "So much better than the corporate world!"

Current Employee - Machinist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Machinist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about my work here is the pace. Out in the corporate world it is "GO GO GO!" However, here at the lab it's a MUCH slower pace. A lot of importance is put on taking your time and doing the job safely and well.

Safety is another key plus. It is taken extremely seriously here. You will never be asked to do something unsafe to get a job done on time.

Cons

One of the very few cons is that things happen slowly at the lab. Sometimes that's by design, but sometimes it's because of the red tape. When you learn to sit back a bit and enjoy the slower pace, it does become a bit less frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Livermore, CA

Pros

Surrounded by smart, capable and hardworking people. Amazing world class science and world changing missions. Really good benefits with various forms of insurance and 401K match. Changing career directions is very easy, I started as an IT support person, worked through a lab-sponsored bachelor’s degree (that part was not easy, work and school) and then changed jobs to become a software developer. There are multiple directorates that are effectively their own company, so moving between groups within the lab is easy and benefits do not change but it feels like you just got a fresh new job with a new group. Amazing amount of lunchtime groups you can join, I alternate between Yoga and Martial arts, but there are dozens of others (archery, photography, meditation, disk golf, organic gardening, the list is long).

Cons

Clearance process is onerous and time to completion is totally unpredictable. Took about a year for my clearance to come through. It only takes some people a couple months, and others it can take years. My job had lots of unclassified work I could do while waiting but some jobs don’t; I know a couple people who left the lab because they felt completely useless while waiting.

Dependence on government funding means that congress' mood and presidential policy can deeply affects your raises and job security.

Advice to Management

Overall keep up the good work, this is an amazing place, but if there is a way the clearance process can be speed up, it would be appreciated.

Discover more reviews about Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.