MathWorks - Good place to learn, but high profitability creates political weirdness | Glassdoor

"Good place to learn, but high profitability creates political weirdness"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Private offices, great tools, many talented colleagues, plenty of opportunities to learn new skills

Cons

Quasi-monopoly status of MATLAB makes technical achievement somewhat undervalued/recognized within the company.

Advice to Management

Think long-term; don't assume that MathWorks is your employee's last job!

MathWorks2014-09-16
  1. "A Company That Walks The Walk"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredible benefits - Beautiful workplace - Intelligent colleagues who are genuinely interested in what you have to say - An "education doesn't end" mentality where personal and professional growth is supported, encouraged and invested in

Cons

- Challenging to manage annual workplace events (given body count) - A potentially longer wait time to resolve technical issues (on average about 2-3 days)

Advice to Management

Continue to actually deliver on promises to employees and invest in their well-being. We genuinely appreciate and utilize all of the benefits provided and work at optimal levels because we appreciate management. (Especially the training). We have a work hard play hard mentality because we genuinely respect and appreciate management and colleagues - this is a huge feat for a large corporation.

MathWorks2019-06-07

"Don't stay too long at MathWorks"

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Natick, MA

I worked at MathWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really smart and fun people. I genuinely enjoyed working with most of the MathWorkers. People here want you to succeed. Great location - Beautiful office building, that are easily accessible via most highways. Every one gets an office, and its location (e.g. office with a window) is decided by tenure and not by your position in the company Summer outings to White Mountains, and they do a big party every 5 years...

Cons

The pay is WAY below the market average. The new opportunity that I got after MathWorks paid me $50,000 more in annual compensation. It takes a really long time (5-8 years) to be considered for promotion. No work from home policy The company is behind major market trends. For example, up until 2017, the company did not have a solution in the cloud.

Advice to Management

Create opportunities for growth and make it easier and faster to promote people

MathWorks2019-06-10

Discover more reviews about MathWorks.