MathWorks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 16, 2018
1,982 Interview Reviews

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I filled out the application online, and received an email about scheduling an HR phone interview within the same week. The interview was about 20 minutes, and there were no technical questions. The interviewer confirmed some details from my resume, like GPA, graduation date, work authorization, and when I would be able to start if offered a job. They also asked what I knew about the company and position.

Interview Questions

• Describe (a project listed on my resume) briefly and in non-technical terms.   Answer Question
    • What programming language are you most comfortable with?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about Mathworks/this role?   Answer Question

Industry Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA).

Interview

Timeline wise, my experience is so similar to the description of "Interview 2" from the previous review dated Jan 4, 2017 that I thought I myself might have written it in a state of subconsciousness. The only thing I'll add as advice for any future interviewee is this. Make sure you review the profiles of people who've done this job before. You'll notice that there is an unusually high turnover rate where people only last in the role 2-3 years and then leave. This is a huge red flag. You'll also notice thay most of these people aren't even connected to the current hiring manager on LinkedIn, again a huge red flag. When I brought this up with the hiring manager, his answer was so obviously BS, I had to suppress LOL-ing in his face. I suspect the real reason for this high turnover could be high travel requirement (40%), quality of management (possible) or most likely, the incessant abuse you're likely to receive from griping engineers and end-users in a customer-facing role. Let's face it, there's only so much abuse a normal human being will withstand before he/she snaps. That's the reason there's so much focus on "passion for Mathworks" in the interview questions. So I would suggest to make sure you bring this trend up during the interview and come to terms with it before signing any offers.

Creative Services Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

I've never been asked to jump through so many hoops in my life. Four separate rounds of onsite interviews followed by being asked to give a presentation, only to get a generic form letter telling me that I was not being chosen for the job. I felt like they were deliberately wasting my time. Avoid.

Interview Questions

• What is a time when you had to have a difficult conversation with someone?   1 Answer

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA).

Interview

- 2 phone screening
    - 1 on-site technical interview.
       - On-site interview was for 5 to 6 hours
       - Interviewed by 5 team members.
       - They will ask you to give a presentation. This to avoid same "clarification" questions later
          during the interview by multiple interviewers. Also this is good chance to impress people.
      - HR interview will be the last
      - Includes lunch interview

Interview Questions

• General OOPS, MATLAB coding, academic project related questions.   1 Answer

EDG Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

First round was a behavioral interview that you record, just basic questions about what you could see yourself working on, a project you worked on, etc, pretty casual stuff.

Second round is a Mathworks Hackerrank Coding Challenge. I had 4 coding algorithm questions to finish in 2 hours. You can definitely finish with at least 25 minutes to spare if you go at a good pace. The questions are straightforward algorithm questions, I'd say expect 2 easy, 1 medium and 1 hard. Luckily the hard has only 1 to 3 base cases. Don't worry about acing the hard one, it's more about the code you write and your implementation. I got the first two questions correct, failed a few base cases in the 3rd one, and didn't get the last/hard one working, but had a neat solution.

Next I have a phone interview

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you worked on   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

The first step was an HR phone interview, basic personality and background/experience questions. This was followed by a hackerrank test, with 4 questions, only two of which had to be answered. Then a technical phone interview where the hackerank questions were discussed with a new question.

Interview Questions

• In the HR interview they asked about a project I had worked on.   1 Answer

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in April 2018.

Interview

1. HireVue Screening
    2. Technical Hackerrank challenge - answer 2/4 questions
    2. Phone Interview - 1hr technical interview w/ live coding (basically went over my answers to the hackerrank challenge and an OOD problem)
    3. Phone Interview - 10~15 min. behavioral interview w/ hiring manager
    4. Onsite interview - 2 technical interviews + 1 behavioral w/ hr person + lunch w/ current EDGers + 1 behavioral w/ hiring manager = total 5 hrs

The entire process took about ~1 month and was very seamless. I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth the process was; someone from HR always kept in touch with me every week. The campus is lovely; it's a corporate company but very much feels like a start-up. I saw lots of young people. Everyone that I met was, for the most part, very friendly. Two days after my on-site interview (my onsite was on Friday), HR called me to let me know that I would not be moving forward with an offer because I was lacking in my technical interviews. Even though I was upset by this, I did appreciate the timeliness of their response. Most companies won't even bother to call you if they reject you, so I appreciate the thoughtfulness.

Interview Questions

• On site technical interviews: (1) consisted of a probability question, stacks/queues, and a graph/recursion problem, and (2) OOD problem: design an elevator system for multiple buildings. Behavioral interviews were standard STAR questions as well as project-based and teamwork questions.   Answer Question

Applications Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Boston, MA) in April 2018.

Interview

First round is an automated video interview where they ask you 3 behavioral questions and 2 informative questions(GPA< Visa sponsorship).
    Second round - 5 sections with Math section being compulsory(questions on probability), and you can choose two sections out of Python, Java, Javascript, and MATLAB. Each section consists of conceptual multiple choice questions and at most two easy-level coding questions.

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

Applied Online for the position. Everyone has been polite and nice to talk to.
    1) Introductory phone call - Familiarity with the role and expectations
    2) Hackerrank coding round - puzzles and code with time constraints
    3) 1-hour technical phone interview - Interviewer tests concepts
    4) Phone call with Hiring Manager - Mostly about the role and work culture

Interview Questions

• Hackerrank coding round :
      Math puzzles, conceptual MCQs for programming languages and coding questions (inheritance, string manipulation).

1-hour technical phone interview:
      What are pointers, how are they useful? What is a null pointer?
      OOPS advantages and concepts(polymorphism and virtual classes)
      Code snippet(C) - find what's wrong/output
      Matlab - Matrix operations
      Python - Dictionaries and code snippet

Embedded Systems:
      When will you need an OS and when will you not?
      Threads and scheduling   Answer Question

EDG Interview

Interview

The first round was a video interview where they ask behavioral questions. The second round was an exam where you were tested over math concepts and programming concepts. The programming languages to choose from included C, C++, MATLAB, Python and Java. The third round was with an engineer from the department where they ask you questions regarding calculus, differential equations, linear algebra as well as specific questions regarding a subject of your choice. 2 options for the subject of choice include signals and systems and control systems.