MathWorks - Great workplace, nice co-workers, low compensation/growth | Glassdoor

"Great workplace, nice co-workers, low compensation/growth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Private offices: collaborate with a co-worker on the whiteboard/computer without interruptions. People are nice, and there are no dirty politics. There's an kitchen operating for lunch everyday, so you never run out of options; food is not free, but cheap. There's a good gym; again, cheap. Work depends on the responsibilities you choose to take.

Cons

The software is pretty ad-hoc, and people add their broken knowledge to the mess. Certain processes are inefficient, and cannot be changed. Salary doesn't go up very much, and people depend on their bonuses. There's quite a bit of hierarchy and upper management does not know the ground realities.

Advice to Management

Do continuous evaluations (not once a year), and reward/punish people more aggressively. Sideline the stubborn people, and increase process efficiency.

MathWorks2015-10-10
  1. "A Company That Walks The Walk"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredible benefits - Beautiful workplace - Intelligent colleagues who are genuinely interested in what you have to say - An "education doesn't end" mentality where personal and professional growth is supported, encouraged and invested in

Cons

- Challenging to manage annual workplace events (given body count) - A potentially longer wait time to resolve technical issues (on average about 2-3 days)

Advice to Management

Continue to actually deliver on promises to employees and invest in their well-being. We genuinely appreciate and utilize all of the benefits provided and work at optimal levels because we appreciate management. (Especially the training). We have a work hard play hard mentality because we genuinely respect and appreciate management and colleagues - this is a huge feat for a large corporation.

MathWorks2019-06-07

"Don't stay too long at MathWorks"

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Natick, MA

I worked at MathWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really smart and fun people. I genuinely enjoyed working with most of the MathWorkers. People here want you to succeed. Great location - Beautiful office building, that are easily accessible via most highways. Every one gets an office, and its location (e.g. office with a window) is decided by tenure and not by your position in the company Summer outings to White Mountains, and they do a big party every 5 years...

Cons

The pay is WAY below the market average. The new opportunity that I got after MathWorks paid me $50,000 more in annual compensation. It takes a really long time (5-8 years) to be considered for promotion. No work from home policy The company is behind major market trends. For example, up until 2017, the company did not have a solution in the cloud.

Advice to Management

Create opportunities for growth and make it easier and faster to promote people

MathWorks2019-06-10

Discover more reviews about MathWorks.