Ritchie Bros. - My dream job turned into a nightmare very quickly! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ritchie Bros.

"My dream job turned into a nightmare very quickly!"

Pros

RB has the best name in the auction industry.
Exciting auction atmosphere.
Team building when prepping for an auction.
Free Company vehicle with credit card.
Benefits were horrible.

Cons

Ludicrous budget plans pushed on to TM's: you must do "x amount of millions" or you get no bonus. This is insane. I turned a nothing territory into a 2 million plus territory in the 1st 14 months and I received nothing in return. Nothing! In many cases new TM's are taking over sales area's that have never been called on by RB and your expected to make miracles happen or else you are ridiculed and again...no raise and surely no bonuses.

Never and I mean never obtain your job through "networking" i.e come in through the back door. This only leads to resentment by your DM because he is mad because he didn't make the hire.

Last, but not least: the travel requirement. When I was hired I was told the travel requirement in my territory was 2-3 days and during auction times more. This was fine with me as I could handle a lot of my territory from my home. Over time, this "policy" changed. My DM wanted me to travel 5 days a week.....not what I was hired to do. My numbers were fine. New consignors all over the place and success stories everywhere, but he wanted me gone wasting company money, sitting in useless hotels for nothing.

In a nutshell, he never wanted me and couldn't wait to see me gone.....Oh and guess what??? Since I have left (3) very interesting things have happened: (1) DM demoted. (2) Ops Manager demoted. (3) Magically they never backfilled my territory......If you wanted to downsize why didn't you just say it??? Why put people through such misery????

Future employees beware.

Advice to Management

Look very hard at who you make DM's.
Completely overhaul compensation plan--pay your TM's by the deal instead of on a "bonus plan" and you will see results improve.
Again, look very hard at who you make DM's---just because someone is buddies with a VP doesn't make him management material.

Other Employee Reviews for Ritchie Bros.

"Arrogant ego-driven culture but can be rewarding at times"

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

Pros

The best reason to work at Ritchie Bros is having the opportunity to work with some very knowledgeable, experienced people from the heavy equipment industry. There is a fun an exciting social aspect of working in the field. If you like working in a 100% face to face environment with continually changing expectations it can be very satisfying.

Cons

There were customer service issues that would consistently arise and the outcome would always heavily favor the corporation. Regardless of the successes or failures employees would have, management led sales staff with an overbearing tendency to micro-manage the day to day activities. There are some major ego’s in management that have been in place for many years that would be difficult to communicate field information to if it’s not what they wanted to hear. The bottom line is that in a business where the employee has little control over the market conditions and the volume of available equipment to consign, the pressure to generate revenue growth for shareholders is constantly fueled with unrealistic expectations for its employees.

Advice to Management

If the company is to grow moving forward, listening to what customers are saying and don’t just hear the parts of the conversation that align with the programs you offer.

2. "good"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

Pros

good pay; good bosses; great people

Cons

lots of travel; away time