Employee Review

1. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Pretty rough hours, fun games.

Apr 26, 2019 - QA Tester in Edinburgh, Scotland, Scotland
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Get to play some of the best games in the industry. - Get to playstest the newest consoles on the market and unreleased kits. - Build good relationships

Cons

- Crunch time is really, really... rough - Working ridiculous hours - Often a negative environment filled with Bullys who think they are better than everyone else and because they've been here for years they can tread all over you and force you to do things and if you refuse then they raise the issues to higher authority and can lead to meetings about performance issues.

Continue reading
    30 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best job I've ever had, no competition

Apr 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at several AAA studios and initially came to Rockstar almost out of desperation, not necessarily because I was dying to work there. At the time there was a ton of negative press surrounding R*, mainly regarding the crunch and bro culture during the development of Red Dead Redemption. My final interview was with the now ex-studio head who assured me that the recent Kotaku article was dramatic, etc etc, but now that I've been here a while and talked with a lot of the people here, that wasn't true. It WAS bad here and I'm glad I dodged that bullet and started working here after changes started rolling in. A lot of the "bad eggs" in leadership and elsewhere have left or been removed. The R* I've seen since day 1 has been incredibly inclusive and empowering, revealing career advancement opportunities that I would've waited years to see (if I was lucky) at other studios. My leads have always been there for me and there's a wealth of knowledge to tap into here. At the start of the pandemic and ever since then, R* leadership has cared for us and made sure we had everything we needed to work from home. We received a stipend to spend on WFH equipment, multiple care packages in the mail, benefits improved, the list goes on and on. The more I share with my spouse the more "envious" they get, wishing they had a job that went to such lengths. It doesn't feel shallow or empty either, like we're just being buttered up or something, but it genuinely feels like changes have come from the top down to improve all aspects of being a R* dev. The last studio I worked at literally made it a yearly event to leave a review online to make sure their rating were always good. It was so fake and in hindsight puts a really bad taste in my mouth. R* has never even insinuated they wanted positive reviews, they've just been consistently great.. If I ever got to a point where I wanted to move on to another studio, I feel like I'd be hard-pressed to find somewhere as good. Anyone who speaks differently about R* on the internet is under the false impression that the R* from years ago is still around, don't pay them any mind. I know I try my best to ignore them. My lead has strongly discouraged OT/crunch so that we don't burn out. Any extra hours I've put in has been because I wanted to and no, I did not feel any peer pressure to do so. Anyway, I wouldn't go and write an essay at 1:30 AM praising my employer unless I really believed what I was saying. I'm grateful for my time here and hope the company continues to improve. I'm definitely excited for Rockstar's future.

Cons

Noncompetitive wages; I wish they would be more communicative with the fans rather than being dead silent between game releases

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Standard AAA

Apr 6, 2021 - Senior Programmer in Andover, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- You get to work with some of the best talent in the game development engineering scene - Interesting and engaging software challenges. If there's a better solution to a problem, the team is likely already considering it - Once you have gained their trust and are proven to contribute, the company treats you really well and accommodates to reasonable requests/needs -- same with salary

Cons

- The mentality is still "inefficient, counter productive work practices" over "smart, sensible work". This is getting better over time, specially in some teams, plus you get some more control with seniority, but some teams are still set in their ways. - Given the scale of their projects, your relative input in the overall result is very small. You obviously don't have a say on meaningful decisions - Interesting company culture. Office outings involve getting drunk on a casino trip watching Chevy Chase. Former employees are viewed as betrayers of the family. This again changes from team to team and is also slowly improving over time.

4 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Rockstar Games.