Rockstar Games Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

Sort:

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview was fine, but they repeatedly stressed that this as not "just a job" but rather a "lifestyle" that requires long hours and weekends for paltry compensation. They are clearly trying to take advantage of eager video game fans.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite Rockstar game and why?   5 Answers

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rockstar Games in March 2017.

Interview

HR employee asked about experience with various data tools and why I wanted to work there. We also talked about my knowledge of their games and what I knew about game analytics.

Technical Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (New York, NY).

Interview

Phase 1:
    After around a month, Rockstar contacted me and asked me when I'd be able to take a week long test. This test featured level design, narrative design, and programming questions.

Phase 2:
    Another month after that, they will contact you and inform you to the results of that portion. If you got a phone interview, this is when you'll find out. This one is primarily focused on background information and your own analysis of other titles.

Phase 3:
    Another month after that, they will contact you and inform you to the results of that portion. If you did well in phase 2, they will fly you out for an in-person interview in phase 3.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite game, and how would you make it better?   2 Answers

Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Whole thing took about 6 months, with a phone screen, a video interview, an onsite suite of interviews over one day, then some calls to work out salary negotiations. The phone interview was quite straightforward, mostly going through history and competencies. The video interview was similar, but with individuals I would be working with. The onsite series of interviews was a little tougher, with my boss's boss and the leadership of other teams doing the interviewing, but the questions were reasonable, often about the philosophy of the job. Not 'gotcha' or trick questions.

Interview Questions

• How my previous experience related to this role.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (Boston, MA) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied online and they responded by e-mail the very next day. Sent a skills test that I had 24 hours to complete. The test was fairly easy, very basic programming questions, it took two hours at most and I was confident in my answers. I sent it back and received a generic rejection the same day. When I asked if they had any feedback, I got no response. A little annoyed that I spent the time on their test for seemingly no reason.

Interview Questions

• Use pseudocode to write a state machine that opens/closes a door based on whether it's locked or not.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied online through a job seeking portal. The next day I was contacted and ask to complete a technical design test in 24 hours. The technical part of the test was exceedingly easy for anyone with even a basic knowledge of game programming, while the design part was a lot more subjective. A few days after I completed the test and sent it back, with a request for feedback on the test regardless of whether I passed, I was contacted again and told that they thought I "would not make a good fit". I e-mailed them back and thanked them and again asked for feedback, but never got a response.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question on the test was to write a simple Finite State Machine for a door control AI.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Andover, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (Andover, MA).

Interview

I applied at Rockstar New England as a Tools Programmer. This was probably the worst interview I've ever had. The Tools Programmer job listing says they prefer candidates who are strong in C++ OR C#; no problem because I'm strong in C++. I received an acceptance email to move onto round 1 of the interview process which is an online coding portion.

The email from the HR rep states the following (truncated):
    "You should receive an email today or tomorrow with a link to the technical design challenge.
    Please choose the language that you are most familiar with."

Okay cool, I get to choose my language. I take the test, read all the instructions carefully and realize the test is ONLY in C#. I burn a lot of time not because the challenges are hard, its because I'm trying to remember and figure out all the C# style of things (string.Length instead of string.size() type of thing). I ended up taking some less desirable design paths because of this too.

I message the HR person back saying essentially (and in much nicer terms) "Why did you tell me to select the programming language of my choice, only to realize that its in C#".

My response back, word for word, the entire email:
    "Thank you for your emails. C# is a requirement for this position. "

So C# is required cool, but so is C++ according to the job listing and I was lied to saying I could choose my programming language of choice. Really dirty practices and no acknowledgement that she (HR lady) messed up on the original email.

Interview Questions

• Codility questions, pretty straight forward. String manipulation and combinations/permutations. A college algorithms class should be able to prepare you for it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Andover, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (Andover, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online at Rockstar New England for an entry level Engine Programmer position and was contacted much later to take an online coding test. The test was with Codility and was not too bad, your standard kind of coding questions you usually see in interviews. They require you to complete the test in C or C++, and it is basically their way of gauging whether or not you can actually solve a problem and code the solution.

The next day I was contacted to set up a Skype interview. The Skype interview was with their AI team and they told me that they did not have an Engine Programmer position open but were considering me for an AI Programmer position. This was fine with me as I was also interested in that kind of role.
    The Skype interview focused on basic C++ and OO programming ideas and a little bit of 3D math. The problems they ask are very applied to AI problems, and giving good examples when you explain a concept helps.

A few days later, I was emailed to be brought on site for a series of interviews with different teams at Rockstar New England. First I talked with the technical director. I was then interviewed by 3 groups of 3-4 people asking very technical C++, AI, and 3D math questions. Then I had an interview with two producers at the studio asking more behavioral/experience questions trying to gauge culture fit. The day wrapped up with an quick talk with the technical director again asking how things went and laying out what the rest of the process looked like. If they decided to move forward with me, they next step would have been a Skype interview with the team at Rockstar North. From there a final decision would be made and approval would have been sought to make an offer. I was emailed about 3 days after the on-site interview about their decision. They decided not to move forward with me.

This is a very difficult interview because these guys are the best at what they do. They make it clear that if you work there its not a regular 9-5 kind of job, its your life, so you better be passionate about what you do. The technical director told me that they would look for what I don't know and focus on that in interviews to see how I solve problems I've never seen before. I am not sure what specifically wasn't up to Rockstar par with me, but I felt like it was 3D math.

The best advice I can give you to prepare for this is:
     - Know your C++ inside and out. Further, don't just know concepts but write it like crazy so you can write compile-able code on a whiteboard without trying.
     - Know your 3D math and how to use it for game problems. Strong emphasis on this. I felt like my coding skills were at the very least OK, but it had been years since I had to solve new types of 3D math problems and apply ideas in new areas.
     - Be passionate about what you do. There is no easy route in or into this industry. This job and this kind of work is very demanding. If you expect a normal 9-5 job this won't be it. Be passionate. work hard to make great things, and it will make a difference.

Interview Questions

• There are a lot of Rockstar specific question in the AI part. Detailed C++ questions and a reasonable amount of 3D math questions as well.   Answer Question

Performance Director Interview

Interview

I had applied for this position on February 5th of 2018. I had noticed that my application had not be reviewed 2 weeks later, so I sent a follow up email. About 6 minutes later I had received an email that said: "Thank you so much for your application for the performance director position at Rockstar Games. We have reviewed your background and qualifications and find that unfortunately it's not going to be a match for this role at the moment." I had checked the status of my application the next day only to find that it had still not been processed They also did not look at my demo reel that I had sent in, which was required for consideration.

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (San Diego, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

HR Screening followed by 45 min. interview with Hiring Manager.

After discussing my qualifications, which he liked the interview turned sour as he asked about why I wanted to work for Rockstar.

I do not play videos games and that was disturbing to him since "most people" are applying because they want the prestige of working on a video game they adore.

In fact they adore the video game so much that they are willing to put in 60-70, even 80 hour work weeks during "crunch time" -- which for this game is Jan 2018 to Oct 31 2018. They expected late nights and weekends during this crunch time and then a minimum of 60 hours per week during non-crunch time.

I conveyed that in my experience working those long hours for months at a time is counterproductive and often means that you need to adjust the team size or the deadline. He told me that I would work that hard because its an honor to be part of current culture and a video game.

The arrogant attitude and long hours is probably why they have such a high turnover and burnout rate.

I ended the call by saying I would not work 80 hours for 9 months -- and we parted ways.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work 80 hours a week for a 9 month pre-release "crunch time"?   1 Answer