Rockstar Games Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rockstar Games Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2017

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Andover, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (Andover, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online at Rockstar New England for an entry level Engine Programmer position and was contacted much later to take an online coding test. The test was with Codility and was not too bad, your standard kind of coding questions you usually see in interviews. They require you to complete the test in C or C++, and it is basically their way of gauging whether or not you can actually solve a problem and code the solution.

The next day I was contacted to set up a Skype interview. The Skype interview was with their AI team and they told me that they did not have an Engine Programmer position open but were considering me for an AI Programmer position. This was fine with me as I was also interested in that kind of role.
    The Skype interview focused on basic C++ and OO programming ideas and a little bit of 3D math. The problems they ask are very applied to AI problems, and giving good examples when you explain a concept helps.

A few days later, I was emailed to be brought on site for a series of interviews with different teams at Rockstar New England. First I talked with the technical director. I was then interviewed by 3 groups of 3-4 people asking very technical C++, AI, and 3D math questions. Then I had an interview with two producers at the studio asking more behavioral/experience questions trying to gauge culture fit. The day wrapped up with an quick talk with the technical director again asking how things went and laying out what the rest of the process looked like. If they decided to move forward with me, they next step would have been a Skype interview with the team at Rockstar North. From there a final decision would be made and approval would have been sought to make an offer. I was emailed about 3 days after the on-site interview about their decision. They decided not to move forward with me.

This is a very difficult interview because these guys are the best at what they do. They make it clear that if you work there its not a regular 9-5 kind of job, its your life, so you better be passionate about what you do. The technical director told me that they would look for what I don't know and focus on that in interviews to see how I solve problems I've never seen before. I am not sure what specifically wasn't up to Rockstar par with me, but I felt like it was 3D math.

The best advice I can give you to prepare for this is:
     - Know your C++ inside and out. Further, don't just know concepts but write it like crazy so you can write compile-able code on a whiteboard without trying.
     - Know your 3D math and how to use it for game problems. Strong emphasis on this. I felt like my coding skills were at the very least OK, but it had been years since I had to solve new types of 3D math problems and apply ideas in new areas.
     - Be passionate about what you do. There is no easy route in or into this industry. This job and this kind of work is very demanding. If you expect a normal 9-5 job this won't be it. Be passionate. work hard to make great things, and it will make a difference.

Interview Questions

• There are a lot of Rockstar specific question in the AI part. Detailed C++ questions and a reasonable amount of 3D math questions as well.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview was fine, but they repeatedly stressed that this as not "just a job" but rather a "lifestyle" that requires long hours and weekends for paltry compensation. They are clearly trying to take advantage of eager video game fans.

Entry Level Engine Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied online. I was contacted through email to take a programming test. The programming test was kinda easy and if you know basics of computer science and data structures, you;d able to answer those. After the test, the day after I was contacted for a Skype interview. We scheduled a time for the interview. We experienced a lot of technical issues and ended up having a phone call. The interview was easy and they asked some C++ and programming questions which was easy, I was able to answer all the questions. I felt that he was satisfied with my answers as we was constantly saying, "hmmmm . good !!". They said that I'll be contacted within a week and I ended up getting an online rejection, not even from the HR recruiter. Its unprofessional that they didn't send a thank you note with result of the interview. The interview was unresponsive and unprofessional in this matter

Technical Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (New York, NY).

Interview

Phase 1:
    After around a month, Rockstar contacted me and asked me when I'd be able to take a week long test. This test featured level design, narrative design, and programming questions.

Phase 2:
    Another month after that, they will contact you and inform you to the results of that portion. If you got a phone interview, this is when you'll find out. This one is primarily focused on background information and your own analysis of other titles.

Phase 3:
    Another month after that, they will contact you and inform you to the results of that portion. If you did well in phase 2, they will fly you out for an in-person interview in phase 3.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite game, and how would you make it better?   Answer Question

AI Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rockstar Games in August 2016.

Interview

Was asked for a skype interview a few weeks after applying. The inteviewer was friendly and easy to talk to. Was informed of their decision a few days after interview.

Game Capture Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

It was a brief interview with two employees at Rockstar about the position I was applying for. It was very easy and I was very comfortable with the Q&A session I had with them. They're response time to if I got the job or not was well received and they are dedicated to selecting the finest people for the work they're doing.

Interview Questions

• How long have you played Rockstar game titles?   2 Answers
    • What's your favorite game from Rockstar?   1 Answer
    • Are you good with the controls on all the systems for GTA5?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied online through a job seeking portal. The next day I was contacted and ask to complete a technical design test in 24 hours. The technical part of the test was exceedingly easy for anyone with even a basic knowledge of game programming, while the design part was a lot more subjective. A few days after I completed the test and sent it back, with a request for feedback on the test regardless of whether I passed, I was contacted again and told that they thought I "would not make a good fit". I e-mailed them back and thanked them and again asked for feedback, but never got a response.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question on the test was to write a simple Finite State Machine for a door control AI.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (Boston, MA) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied online and they responded by e-mail the very next day. Sent a skills test that I had 24 hours to complete. The test was fairly easy, very basic programming questions, it took two hours at most and I was confident in my answers. I sent it back and received a generic rejection the same day. When I asked if they had any feedback, I got no response. A little annoyed that I spent the time on their test for seemingly no reason.

Interview Questions

• Use pseudocode to write a state machine that opens/closes a door based on whether it's locked or not.   Answer Question

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

After filling out the initial application, there was an offer of a video interview. The questions themselves were not too difficult, and you can move on to the next question when you are ready. You have one minute to prepare for each question, though the amount of time you have to answer varies from a minute and a half to three minutes (though you can end it early is you wish). I found the process of speaking at my laptop, rather than to a real person to be awkward and difficult, as there is no feedback to tell you how you are doing and at one point I found myself getting anxious because I just couldn't tell if what I was saying was any good and I panicked and ended the question early.

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (Lincoln, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

First Stage is a Video Interview with 5 questions. You have 1 minute prep time for each question. Some Questions have more time than others. Second stage is on location interview.

Interview Questions

• 1.Describe your gaming history and experience with rockstar?
      2.Why a career in the gaming industry ?
      3.Understanding of QA, best practices and how QA fits into the overall development of gaming.
      4.What skills you have?
      5. Difference between testing single player and multiplayer games?
      Answer Question