Von Maur - GET RID OF TESS | Glassdoor

"GET RID OF TESS"

Current Employee - Salesfloor
Current Employee - Salesfloor

Pros

Coworkers are so nice, paid holidays, time and a half on Sundays, insurance benefits, discount, nice atmosphere, nice break room.

Cons

Terrible schedules with "TESS". Yes,it's retail, but 5 hours before a lunch break? very typical schedule is come in at 9am, go to lunch at 2pm. I ate breakfast at 7:30. That's 6 1/2 hours without eating! Holy Cow, some of my coworkers aren't breakfast eaters. Working until 6pm instead of 5pm? Working 9 days in a row? There is no work-life balance now that a computer does schedules. Also, some people get preferential treatment. And, sadly, we can no longer go to lunch with coworkers in same department because lunch/dinner breaks are always staggered.When you get off at 6pm, and it takes 30 minutes to get home, and then you have to cook for your family, it's 7:30 before you sit down to eat, and your feet are killing you...just change it back to 5pm already, please!!!!! Besides, part-time peaople don't want to come in for 3 hours (6-9pm) either!

Advice to Management

Please, please get rid of TESS. We are not getting used to it. The fact that it occasionally, sporadically gives us a Saturday off does not compensate for all of its shortcomings and how miserable it is making those of us who used to like working for Von Maur. It is supposed to increase productivity, how about this? Treat us like human beings, not robots. When we are miserable because we haven't eaten for 6 hours, or have worked 9 days in a row, or some in the department are not scheduled for a single closing shift while we are scheduled for three, we will not be productive! We will be looking for new jobs.

Other Employee Reviews for Von Maur

"Great Resume Builder, Frustrating Company"

Former Employee - Executive Training Program
    Former Employee - Executive Training Program

Pros

Learned so much about the ins and outs of the company
    Gained great management skills
    Unique opportunity to see what you like and don't like about the retail industry

Cons

Extremely inconsistent between stores (you may be doing awesome (per management) and someone who is just doing ok at another store is promoted before you
    Von Maur really likes mediocrity and is terrified of change, it can be frustrating
    Management is extremely inconsistent in hiring, firing, and counseling individuals, they do not judge everyone on the same playing field at all
    A trend I noticed was hiring people that don't threaten your job rather than qualified individuals. I used to have so much respect for the Store Manager because she/he did so much and I never understood why the floor managers were so horrible and hired horrible people...then I realized its because those horrible floor managers will never be able to do the store manager's job therefor she/he (the store manager) hired people for her/his own job security.

Advice to Management

Hire responsible and professional Managers that are capable of training staff and carrying out their duties at an excellent level.
    Just getting by is not something to be rewarded, reward those that really excel and allow people to move up even if replacing them is hard.

"It is What It is..."

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

Pros

-Good Hours For Retail. (No special hours for the Holiday except for an extra hour on Sunday.)
    -Excellent Benifits
    -Pay is fair for a retail job.

Cons

-Poor job at implementing new programs.
    -Very poor upper store management. (I wouldn't have hired the last store manager I worked under to clean the washrooms.).
    -Will not support an associate in a dispute with a customer...even if it is someone with more than a proven track record.
    -Long time department managers should have imput in hiring for their department.

Advice to Management

-Put people of experience in upper store management.
    -It may be time to change the company philosophy...how about advertising?
    -Stand behind your longtime employees .