Von Maur Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 30, 2018

2.5

Part Time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Von Maur (Omaha, NE) in May 2010.

Interview

What was a policy that you had to enforce that you did not agree with?
    Why do you want to work here?
    What do you look for in an employeer?

Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Von Maur (Ames, IA) in April 2016.

Interview

Unexpected phone call without email or other notice. I think it was the first run interview. The HR rep asked me questions about how I learn of their company as well as other frequently-asked ones regarding personality and leadership thoughts. No behavioral questions. Unfortunately, I did not prepare it well.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Von Maur in July 2012.

Interview

There was only one interview, with the Directors of HR and IS present. The interview consisted of small talk, which lead into 4-5 primary questions, all of which were non-technical. This all seemed to go well; a tour was offered where I was briefly introduced to the developers that were at their cubes. At the end of the tour, we parted ways, and was contacted by the recruiter a few days later with the job offer. The experience was pleasant overall. My biggest surprise was that no technical questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• What was my biggest challenge, and how was I able to overcome this challenge.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary had already been established by the recruiter prior to their offer. The only point I negotiated was certain vacation days where I had pre-existing plans. They were very open and accommodating during this part of the process.

Clerical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Von Maur (Davenport, IA).

Interview

Generic questions. They want to hear that your excited to work there and stay the rest of your life until you retire. They look for long term employees. They want to know if you can be a robot and listen and do what your told without thinking for yourself. They want to know how much work they can put on you and pay you as little as possible.

Interview Questions

• What do you see yourself doing next year?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiations for office staff

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Von Maur (Davenport, IA).

Interview

Pleasant process. They start with a basic screening which is just questions about why you are interested.Then they schedule a phone interview which lasts about an hour. Following, they do a formal interview in Davenport. The formal interview lasted about an hour and then they gave a tour of the office. Everyone I spoke with was very kind.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you lead a group.   1 Answer

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Von Maur (Davenport, IA) in August 2011.

Interview

Formal setting in small room with a few chairs in a room and 1-2 interviewers typically asking situational questions, did not receive a tour of the facilities and did not leave room for entire process. Only lasted the morning and was completed by the afternoon. Interviewed with 1 person, then 2 different managers who had open positions then briefly spoke with GMM for a more casual conversation for what seemed like a personality portion.

Interview Questions

• If a vendor wanted you to try a new outrageous trend how would you react? If you had several thousand pants in stores that were not selling what would you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not much of a negotiation phase, they were strict on compensation and benefits

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Von Maur.

Interview

Specific criteria used for each position to filter applications. They do phone screenings with about 5 questions. Then they call your references and if all is good, they will call you for a second interview. Depending on the position there may be up to 4-5 interviews. There are three just to be a sales associate in the stores. They also have you read the job description in the interview.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you disagreed with you boss and did you tell them?   Answer Question

Buyer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Von Maur (Davenport, IA) in August 2011.

Interview

I applied online over a weekend and got a phone call Monday morning. I did an interview over the phone and was asked to come in for an interview. I did the interview, then came back the next day for a 2nd interview. By the end of the week, I was offered the job. They asked questions about situations: Tell me about a time you demonstrated adaptability and flexibility at work. or Give me an example of a time when you were able to successfully communicate with another person, even when that individual may not have liked you. or Tell me about a situation in the past year in which you had to deal with a very upset customer or coworker.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position? How have you been able to demonstrate leadership in the past? What skills do you possess that you could bring to this position? How do you organize your work day? What are your strengths/weaknesses?   Answer Question

Buyer's Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Von Maur (Davenport, IA).

Interview

After submitting the online application, they call and do an impromptu phone interview/screening. If they want to continue further, you are asked in for a face-to-face interview. The next step is a second interview. Followed by any pre-employment tests and background checks. Would be lengthy for anyone needing employment immediately. Very informative and professional interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Being put on the spot to quickly think of a scenario where I went out of my way to help a fellow employee.   Answer Question

The specifics of the working environment were not for me.

Buying Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ames, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Von Maur (Ames, IA) in April 2016.

Interview

There were 3 interviews, 2 on the phone and 1 in person. The first two were very similar and the last one was more getting to know your personality and values.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in 3 words   1 Answer