Empower RF Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Jon Jacocks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Inventory control"

I have been working at Empower RF Systems full-time

Pros

Totally flexible schedule. People are great and management let's you kinda do what you want as long as your doing something progressive

Cons

Can't think of any at all

2. "Not a good employer"

Former Employee - Buyer in Inglewood, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Inglewood, CA

I worked at Empower RF Systems part-time

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

Micro managing engineering runs whole company regardless of what yoy say they shoot you down

Advice to Management

Let the skilled employee contribute

May 30, 2017 – HR Director

Hmmm. Not sure about this because we have never had a part time Buyer here. But, we appreciate honest feedback so I'm sorry you did not have a good experience. Empower is an engineering-centric... More

3. "Small company with good benefits"

I have been working at Empower RF Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Empower RF Systems has a very good benefit package, and they pay a significant amount of the cost, which is unusual for a company this size. Most people here are nice and hard-working and will push to succeed. Good engineers who create ground-breaking technology. Close to freeways and free parking. There is some flexibility with working hours. Pay is good but raises are not so frequent because they depend on overall company performance, which can vary.

Cons

The location is not great for walking or grabbing a quick bite somewhere - you have to drive. Some departments are better managed than others, which can be frustrating when something needs to get done. I've seen finger-pointing when deadlines are missed, which doesn't help. There are only two or three annual company lunches, but many smaller meetings where food is sometimes provided. Raises could be more frequent.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the help with benefit costs. Now focus on regular raises.

May 30, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your review. It's our goal to be the best company of our size and kind, and we know it's our competent staff who help us reach this goal. Competitive pay and good benefits are... More

4. "Electrical Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Empower RF Systems as an intern

Pros

Working at Empower RF systems provided me with a good mixture of theoretical knowledge and practical experience that is essential to success as an engineer. The staff is very knowledgeable, and they like to teach. I had an excellent time working here.

Cons

There are no downsides to working here. If you are looking for an intern position that is challenging and exciting, then I strongly recommend applying here.

Advice to Management

I was an intern for about 5 years, and was able to witness a management team that was effective and who cared about its employees.

May 30, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your review. It's our privilege to mentor up-and-coming engineers, and our interns have added so much value to our projects and staff.

"My experience at empower"

Former Intern - Software Dev Intern in Inglewood, CA
    Former Intern - Software Dev Intern in Inglewood, CA

I worked at Empower RF Systems as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Laid back work environment
    * Extremely flexible schedule
    * Flexible in terms of what work you can be involved in
    * Very approachable and skilled engineers
    * Open-ended internship with opportunities for full time

Cons

* Lack of proper project management
    * Tight deadlines

Advice to Management

* Get a project manager for software and engineering dept - this will fix all software problems
    * Get the requirements gathered and written BEFORE starting a project

May 30, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your honest feedback. We at Empower appreciate the work of our very bright interns! As for your advice -- we examined ways to streamline the software / engineering interface and admit... More

6. "Small company with good compensation and benefits."

I have been working at Empower RF Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Empower provides its employees with a successful team environment to achieve the goals for both company and employee. The benefits are well beyond what you would expect from a small company and the ability to grow within the company is outstanding. The CEO has an open door policy where any employee could walk into his office and have a chat.

Cons

As others have said, the location of the company isn't it the best location, however it is very close to major freeways to getting to and from the office is quite easy.

"immediately involved on key projects"

Current Employee - Technical Staff Member in Inglewood, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Staff Member in Inglewood, CA

I have been working at Empower RF Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The technical teams are small and you will be doing real work on customer projects as soon as you join the company. This is not some place to come at the end of your career - this is a company where you will be learning and contributing to product developments and shipments right away.

Cons

The location is not so great, nothing very interesting to see if you go out for a walk at lunchtime, nothing very good to eat close by, so you have to drive for that.

Advice to Management

Kudos for not passing on the higher costs of medical and dental benefits to employees. The fact that my payroll deduction for a very good medical and dental plan has not changed over the last two years is appreciated.

May 30, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your review. Sometimes being a small company has advantages!

8. "RF Amplifier Lab"

Former Contractor - RF Technician in Inglewood, CA
    Former Contractor - RF Technician in Inglewood, CA

I worked at Empower RF Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an established business.

Cons

Currently a male dominated atmosphere in the test lab.

9. "Good small company to work for"

I worked at Empower RF Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, lots of overtime. Excellent benefits, 401K and PTO. Great coworkers. You will learn a great amount of tuning and troubleshooting power amplifiers.

Cons

No issues with this company

10. "Good place to work, friendly environment, cutting edge engineering."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inglewood, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inglewood, CA

I have been working at Empower RF Systems part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work for this company for a long time and saw some ups and downs. Today our engineering team is genius; they create truly cutting edge products for our industry and it is exciting to be a part of this team.
    It is a small company with very friendly environment. Management is very approachable as well to discuss your concerns. Work hours are flexible: employees start their day anyware from 4 am to 10 am; some even work remotely if position permits. We have quite good benefit package for a small company: 401K, health, dental and vision insurance.

Cons

The building is a bit too small for the amount of employees. There are not enough parking spots for all employees on the parking lot so some employees have to park on the parking lot across the street per agreement with neighbor business. But I know that many companies in LA have worth parking arrangements.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a reward system for employees (we had it in the past). Also company events for employees lost their quality.