Entrance Software Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Entrance Software President & CEO Nate Richards
Nate Richards

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"If You're a Little Geeky, You'll Fit Right In"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Entrance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong culture:
    This is a potential con for some people who want a solemn, serious, predictable work environment. Personally, I love that I'm friends with my coworkers, and that we can talk about stereotypically geeky pursuits with one another without judgment or condescension from others. Intellectual pursuits are celebrated and encouraged. So are active pursuits like running & exercise. The organization's values are clearly defined, and you must believe in them if you want to be happy here. Again, for me this has always been a positive, because I do believe in the core values for my personal & professional life: Be Curious, Find A Way, Improve Everything, Serve Others, Have Fun.

Family Friendly
    A number of reviewers here have complained about the lack of work life balance, because of the billable requirements, but I've never worked at a consulting firm that requires less than 40 hours of actual work per week. Many require 40+ hour billable, and any administrative time is over that. The part of Entrance that I find to be Work/Life balance are the benefits and family friendly culture here. If you need to leave early to get your children, or come in late every once in a while, you are not going to get in trouble. Have a sick kiddo? Work from home that day. Want a massage? Have one at the office when the masseuse comes in. Feeling stressed? Go play ping pong, or shuffleboard, or board games for 15 minutes. It's not just about a 40-hour work week for me. It's about that 40 hours being something that is a part of my whole life, not a division from it.

Conscientious Management & Training for Managers
    Every manager receives paid training, and provides both leadership and mentoring to their team members. The leadership team sets defined annual and quarterly goals, and communicates expected outcomes to the entire organization.

Transparency
    The firm is clear and transparent with clients about billing and project status -- we have clients who have (jokingly) complained that we provide too much detail. Every month the management team meets with the entire company to discuss company financials and progress on quarterly goals. There is a dashboard with financial health KPIs displayed on a monitor in the breakroom. Any employee can schedule a meeting with the President of the company at any time for any reason. There is no political maneuvering possible due to full transparency.

Feedback
    The company uses a tool that sends out a weekly survey to all employees to find out how everyone is feeling about work. The management team seems to take the feedback seriously, and they make adjustments and address concerns promptly. Managers give really constructive feedback, and most people at the company approach and receive feedback as an opportunity for growth, rather than a personal attack. Praise for individual and team contributions is displayed publicly on a monitor in the breakroom.

Cons

Small Firm
    Entrance is not a massive, global company. If any part of the company underperforms, it puts the entire firm at jeopardy. This can occasionally be a scary environment for primary/sole earners. Because they are a small company, and because they offer so many office perks, base salaries are on the low end of the spectrum for the Houston market. Also, if you're looking to have a single job with clearly defined responsibilities, you'll need to look for that at a larger company where there is more available work for a single specialization. There isn't a ton of growth potential at a small company, so although your skillset will grow (and ultimately help your career), promotions are few and far between, and your salary will not increase in any substantial way while you are here.

Diversity
    Though strong in terms of gender diversity, Entrance suffers from a lack of diversity in age, and the management team has historically been primarily caucasian -- not really that bizarre in the tech world, but not adequately representative of Houston's demographics. I'd estimate 95% of the firm's talent is in the 25-40 age range. There are, and have been some individuals outside of that band, but they never last very long. You lose the ability to tap into life/work experience without more senior team members in place. Part of this is the talent available in the tech market, but a lot of it is the teamwork environment.

Economy
    As of the time of this review, Entrance is suffering the effects of the oil & gas downturn. Customer retention is a struggle for clients who are in the oil & gas space, and the company hasn't recovered from the loss of those projects (yet -- they are working hard on new ideas, though.)

Advice to Management

Keep caring about your employees. Everyone loves working here, and cares about the other people who work here. People come and go at any company but the people here form lasting friendships, so keep hiring the right people.

Stability is always a challenge at small firms, but there is nothing more frightening to an employee than not knowing whether they’re going to lose a job through no fault of their own. Keep working to find a way to grow revenue, and evolve your service offerings to be up-to-date on specialty tech trends.

2. "Great company, Smart People"

I worked at Entrance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with Entrance for almost three years.
    There are lots of opportunities to learn new technologies. Higher management is always there to help you and constantly tries to create collaborative environment. They have lot of company sponsored events like Baby Showers, Quarterly Celebration, Monthly Birthday Celebration etc.
    Kitchen is always loaded with food.
    Senior management and my team mates really helped me to grow.
    They care lot about work life balance and you get option to work from home once a week.

Cons

I cannot think of any. Due to oil price and economic climate lot of changes were made in the company which made lot of good people to leave the company. The management is trying hard to boost the morale of employees.

3. "Best job I've ever had"

I have been working at Entrance Software full-time

Pros

Location - located in the Heights, I can easily get to some great lunch and happy hour spots. There's a running trail along the Bayou just across the street which is a wonderful run when the wild flowers are in bloom.

People - I have never worked with such fun, creative, intelligent and engaged people. They really set this office apart from all the other places I've worked.

Atmosphere - Entrance understands the importance of making sure its employees are happy and having a little fun. They have a ping pong table (or Volley Pong table as some know it), a shuffle board table, mini root beer keg on tag from Saint Arnold's, monthly game night and a quarterly happy hour sponsored by the company.

Cons

Diversity in customer base - Entrance was focused on catering to the Oil and Gas industry when the fall of gas prices hit. They've started to work with a broader client base, but have taken some hits in the past year (just like so many others).

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of the things that make Entrance a great place to work and grow.

4. "Great Comoany."

Former Employee - Software Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Entrance Software (More than a year)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to learn about new technologies. They are really nice people and eager to help you.

Cons

I wonder there is one!

5. "Great Company, Rocky Times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Entrance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing. Smart, funny, fun to work with. The perks and flexibility at work are really cool. People mostly seem to like being here.

Cons

Career options and income potentials are limited due to the economic climate. The management is trying, but almost seems like too little too late. A lot of good people have left to find other jobs.

Advice to Management

Keep trying, but expect there to be more good people leaving.

6. "Positive environment, great people,"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Entrance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entrance is always striving to create the best working environment possible for its employees and Nate, the owner, sincerely cares about everyone there. There's a really positive collaborative team environment as we'll as a lot of happy hours, baby showers, and volunteering. Employees are always asked for feedback and the feedback given is taken seriously and often implemented. If you're into oil and gas and related services, you will find the work interesting.

Cons

The nature of consulting and a business driven by billings can be a little tumultuous and hard to predict, but Entrance is constantly striving to create as much stability and predictability as possible. The level of engagement across employees also varies, but again, that's true most places. The technology that a goof chunk of the clients are requesting or willing to accept isn't cutting edge, most of the time, so if you're very tech forward, that could sometimes be a bit boring for you.

Advice to Management

Keep striving forward and improving everything!

"Smart+Fun"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Entrance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a very nurturing quality from senior management to help guide and support you in your efforts at Entrance. You really feel like your voice is heard, and they actually live the culture and values that they have put in place here. It has been an amazing experience.

Cons

Really the only challenge that I see at Entrance is almost being too fun! I have felt in some instances that there may be too many meetings to attend, but if you speak up about it, and it really seems to be affecting your work, they will gladly excuse you from any that you might not have to be involved in.

"Great Place to Learn and Grow"

Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Entrance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Entrance Software allowed me to build the foundations for my technical sales career. The senior management truly invested in my career, giving me access to the tools and opportunities to help me grow as an individual contributor and team member. We even took a trip to San Francisco for a multi-day sales training. The work environment provided a good balance of fun/social events (happy hours, holiday lunches, celebrating promotions and big sales) with challenging work projects. Since I've left Entrance, the organization has continued to grow tremendously and is considered to be THE oil and gas software consulting company in Houston with top notch customers and consultants.

Cons

At the time, Entrance was a much smaller organization than what it is today, so it required each employee to have a "wear many hats" mentality. This was challenging at times, but in my opinion, it also made work fun and interesting. The organization has grown significantly over the last few years, so I'm sure the roles are more defined and structured.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! It's great to see Entrance so successful!

"At Entrance, I learned and improved more in 6 months than in 2 years at my previous employer."

I worked at Entrance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a mid-level .NET developer, I found Entrance to be a great place to learn and improve my software development skills and knowledge. As others have mentioned, the concept of improving everything is highly valued there. They believe in removing obstacles to productivity, and as such, I was provided with a powerful laptop and the latest .NET development tools. I did work with some legacy code, but the team worked hard to refactor it to follow proper design patterns at every opportunity.

Entrance isn't perfect, and it isn't for everyone. Despite what I'm about to tell you (below), tt was a great experience for me, though, and it could be for you as well.

Cons

As I said before: Entrance isn't perfect, and it isn't for everyone.

Work/life balance is a joke. I was expected to have 36 billable hours (90%) and 40 total hours (100%) per week on my timesheet. This is totally unreasonable and unattainable unless you either fudge the numbers or just keep working as long as it takes to log 40.

Personally, perhaps the biggest downside is that I was laid off after 7 months there, because a huge project was basically cancelled by the client.

My thoughts on some of the other reviews: If you can't respect the CEO because he doesn't wear a suit every day.. If you can't handle people sometimes joking around at the office.. then Entrance may not be the best place for you.

Advice to Management

It is my opinion that you have too many mandatory meetings. I get that you want people to participate, be informed, etc, but consider your audience! As a software developer, I don't benefit from hearing what Sales and Marketing are up to.

As I previously stated in the "Cons" section, it is my opinion that your billed hours quotas and overall utilization quota are totally out of touch with reality. If you demand that your employees are working 40 hours in a 40-hour work week, then they will either lie to you (fudge the numbers) or work themselves to death. Or perhaps you should just be forthcoming about just how many hours per week your employees should plan on working each week in order to be compliant. (You manage your clients' expectations. Why not do the same for your people, especially candidates or new hires?)

"Fizzled quickly, chasing trends."

Former Employee - Software Architect in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Houston, TX

I worked at Entrance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High turnover, low pay, unstable management and misplaced goals... Was neutral upon hiring, quickly changed my mind as I couldn't decide what the company was working towards and the leaders are greatly misplaced. I'm more concerned about my career than pies and documenting every ridiculous idea that is posted in social media to prepare for the next round of turnover. At first it was "we are growing, growing, growing," which quickly turned into everyone freaking out about hiring sales people and getting higher rankings in searches. Those two topics dominate the very existence that is Entrance. I have no idea what management is trying to accomplish, but it was not for me.

Cons

I did not learn anything. I agree with the post below that there are a lot of claims of being the best in energy but I did not work with one person who had a true background in it or at least they didn't care enough to train me on it. The turnover is intense, and a handful of managers think they know a lot about a little when in reality they know very little about a lot. When exactly you grow out of a start up phase I don't know but I guess I should have seen the signs when on-boarding, or lack thereof.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that talking down to people be reviewed first. There must be some leadership club going on because it's a constant topic that is like the guerrilla in the room. There is a tremendous amount of gossip and fakeness, so consider any open door policy nonexistent. Whatever is going on with the obsession with sales is exhausting. You also have zero privacy in the office, and the core of the business is whatever they think is trendy. I just got a really unstable feeling from the beginning. The gossip and feeling of disrespect I got was too much for my head. I felt like I was in high school. I constantly had the feeling that any conversation with a manager was something to set me up or to give them the pleasure of control.