Exponential Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Dilip DaSilva

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Dysfunctional management (don't you dare disagree with the CEO or middle management" (in 7 reviews)

• "They were the only ones treated well at the company (with the exception of upper management)" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Sales Executive"

I worked at Exponential full-time

Pros

- People are amazing! Maintained lots of great relationships since my departure
    - Great upper management... I was fortunate to have hands down one of the best managers I've ever worked under in my career
    - When earning the chance for brands to test the product, it almost always exceeded goals

Cons

- I recommend working here!

2. "Great Product That Can Walk the Walk"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Exponential full-time

Pros

*Exponential has a great product that can absolutely walk the walk. The ability to sell something that works for both clients and agencies on a metric that is performance based was incredible.
    *The compensation package and set up was built really nicely for sales people.
    *The analytics and creative teams were top notch and everyone was able to support or contribute to sales calls. They were also open to have conversations about out of the box solutions or ideas and that always makes a sales role more exciting.

Cons

*The sales team is relatively junior and there are growing pains in the organization as a result that are hard to ignore for more seasoned teammates.
    *There is little to no opportunity for career growth. Many people leave to take the next step in their path as there isn't really an option to map out within Exponential.
    *During the interview and onboarding process, there was a lot of talk of work-life balance which was the opposite of my experience (likely due to inexperienced teams). In my region, there was NO flexibility and morale was not great.
    *Providing this feedback upon exiting the company seems to fall on deaf ears. They seem okay to churn and burn on talent / headcount.

Advice to Management

Check in on your remote offices. Make sure that your teams are providing feedback across the board on a regular basis. This company has great potential and a great product-- but a lot of broken puzzle pieces slowing you down. Utilize something like Tinypulse or cultureamp to gather feedback and then actually act on that feedback to make Exponential an exciting place to be.

"Do your independent analysis!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst

I have been working at Exponential full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work life/balance, benefits, compensation, leave policy

Cons

Financials, internal communication, culture, CEO

Advice to Management

Stop the YOY bleed, stop the constant internal fighting, create an actual culture team that cares rather than just "shows up". Explain to potential employees that Dilip runs this ship and if you are not comfortable with a 1 person 1 rule that will change at any given moment for good/bad- do not join . CEO is not accountable

4. "Great company and amazing culture"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Exponential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exponential is unlike any other company, the compensation and career growth are remarkable. Also, the culture specifically in the NY office is something I am going to miss.

Cons

The company is rolling out new products which can cause some confusion when going into market. That being said, the teams are supportive and will be supportive 24/7!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep making yourselves accessible.

5. "Excellent People and Benefits"

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Exponential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The technology works, the people are amazing and the benefits are very generous at Exponential

Cons

Great work life balance and opportunity to learn a lot!

6. "Career Killer"

I worked at Exponential full-time

Pros

If you are in Sales- you're treated with kid gloves and can do basically anything you want.

Cons

Only two C-level positions one including the owner aka CEO, the other (rumored to have been) a friend from college- NO true or experienced leadership team. This company will probably be bankrupt within the next two years. Hemorrhaging money, but keeps hiring even after multiple years of downsizing.

Advice to Management

CEO/Owner needs to sell the company. He may be a talented developer and even managed to leverage a once good idea to create the company but has zero knowledge of how to run a successful company. Wake up, stop allowing the Sales teams to run your company into the ground. They need a leader who is capable of saying "NO" and sticking with that decision.

"Needs Improvement"

Pros

-Unlimited PTO
    -Catered Lunch
    -Free Insurance
    -Fun outings

Cons

-Sales reigns no matter how terrible they are
    -No promotions or raises in 3 yrs
    -Work hard and 0 reward or acknowledgment

Advice to Management

-Hire decent sales people. Just bc they make money, it does not give them the right to treat their support team like garbage.
    -Don't stunt your employees growth at the company. If they've been working their butts off, promotion should at least be an option yearly even if funds are not there for raises.
    -Respect your employees and listen to their concerns and address them
    -Stop re-hiring former employees who were fired or quit. There's a reason they left, so stop being so desparate.

8. "Exponential Lifer"

Current Employee - Sales in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Exponential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Little to no red tape - as an individual contributer, I feel I have a say and they value my feedback on product and process.
    - Very competitive pay structure that rewards ambitious and savvy sellers who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and wear a few different hats.
    - The people are really incredible. Exponential is my 2nd family.

Cons

- The lack of "red-tape" does mean there can be room for a lot fo change. So if you're comfortable with the routine and are adverse to change, this may not be the company for you.
    - Definitely wish there was more internal support, but that also has made me a better seller because I sometimes need to know exactly what's going on behind the scenes.

Advice to Management

- Get rid of any dead weight that isn't contributing their fair share. We are a strong company and an anomaly that doesn't lean on VC or look to get acquired. Let's stay that way. We can definitely hire better and brighter in areas where we need to.

"Caters to Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Exponential full-time

Pros

Free lunch, unlimited PTO, free health insurance.

Cons

It's funny, but not at all surprising, that the only employees speaking well of the company are from the sales team. They were the only ones treated well at the company (with the exception of upper management). It totally makes sense that a happy sales team should be maintained because they are the ones bringing in revenue, but people reading reviews should understand that the culture is completely different for those outside of sales. It's especially illuminating that the salespeople writing reviews keep talking about not having enough support because I worked in a sales support role and found the sales team to be incredibly difficult to work with and unappreciative.

10. "Strong momentum"

Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Exponential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exponential is a private company that makes it own decisions without outside influence, lending everyone in the company a voice. Its path to growth has been slow and steady, but with a legacy of 17 years, they are one of the more experience companies in ad tech, and therefore, have a lot to teach new employees about the landscape.

Cons

Without outside or VC funding, the company is 100% self reliant, which can be restrictive at times when it comes to staffing & resourcing.

Advice to Management

Stay the course on product and publisher development while refining tech stack to integrate more with industry leading platforms