Extensis Reviews | Glassdoor

Osamu Ikeda

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great company"

I have been working at Extensis full-time

Pros

This is an awesome place to work. The company culture is amazing and it's great to be part of a company that is taking large steps to move forward in the industry and also move the company in a growth direction. It's a really good time to be part of the team here.

Coming from a large corporate environment, it's refreshing to be in a start up culture with the backbone of a company that's been around forever. The work life balance here is great

Cons

There really are none. We are growing and new ideas are being implemented with the leadership having great vision.

2. "Exciting advancements at the company; committed to balance; outstanding benefits"

Current Employee - Global Corporate Communications in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Global Corporate Communications in Portland, OR

I have been working at Extensis part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having worked with Extensis for more than 6 years now, I am more enthusiastic than ever about the path the company is on. Extensis has brought in two new VPs- one for Marketing and one for Sales. Both have stellar backgrounds and are infusing fresh thinking into the company. It’s an exciting time to work here as we are encouraged to think like a start-up, but have the stability and credibility being in business for almost 25 years.

A big pro for me is balance. Everyone works hard during the day, but encouraged to have a life. You don’t see much email in the evenings and weekends, which enables true down time. Having worked at places that are the opposite, I can say you get much better work out of balanced people.

Finally, the benefits are the best I’ve had in all the places I’ve worked. Particularly health.

Cons

The cons I would have previously had have been addressed. We’re getting a great balance of new people combined with people with a long history with the company. I expect it’s going to be an exciting next year at Extensis.

Advice to Management

Keep down the track you are on.

3. "Management issues but ok"

I worked at Extensis full-time

Pros

The environment isn't as high-pressure in Portland as elsewhere in high-tech

Cons

Management vision is erratic at best

4. "Good, getting better, plenty of room to grow"

I have been working at Extensis full-time

Pros

Benefits are excellent and generous, fun culture, acceptable work / life balance, established products provide some stability, trying new things to improve on legacy challenges but still plenty of things to fix

Cons

Too long tenure for some key employees leaves lack of new ideas, analysis paralysis, lacking sense of urgency, need to invigorate the business

Advice to Management

Keep looking at places to improve & increase accountability in ALL employees

5. "Design"

Pros

Great people to work with, great location in Portland.

Cons

None worth mentioning; I felt like it was a good place to work.

Advice to Management

Work from home a few days a week would be an excellent option.

6. "Extensis review"

Pros

Employees are sincerely interested in producing good products.
    Employees are loyal and have long tenure.

Cons

Culture of tolerance of long-standing product deficiencies ("fault tolerance").

Advice to Management

Continue to foster an environment embracing quality and process improvement.
    Continue to make the right choices when both quality and new features are offered.

7. "Working toward being a good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Extensis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are friendly and accepting. The benefit are some of the best I have received at any company.

Cons

Too much tribal knowledge and if you are not part of the clique if can be hard to get movement on projects.

Advice to Management

Develop a clear direction.

8. "Culture too relaxed, poor leadership, no vision"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Extensis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, WFH, donuts on Fridays.

Cons

No clear direction from upper management. Very poor, outdated marketing. Little to no accountability. Company unable or unwilling to make decisions required to compete effectively in fast paced software development space.

Advice to Management

Define a clear roadmap for innovation. Shuffle and/or hire new staff to infuse company with new ideas. Move more quickly on all decisions.

9. "A company for fully-formed adults."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Extensis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extensis has a culture that values balance. There's a sense of community, respect and an undercurrent that acknowledges work shouldn't be drudgery. The benefits are numerous - from health benefits, to cheap soda and free beer. The location is also nice - it's right on the river and on the outskirts of downtown proper - so it's easy to get in and out pretty much any time of day.

There is incredible tenure at the company, so a huge number of people know a lot and can point you in the right direction if you need to know something or have a problem to solve. Many of the employees are seasoned pros and have great insight into a variety of problem solving approaches or best practices.

Definitely a mature software company that has kept the better parts of startup culture. It's really clear that the HR team is invested in employee satisfaction.

Cons

The product focus of the business makes it difficult to understand the forward vision for entire business vs the individual products, and even understanding where products are headed requires someone to piece together a variety of things from a variety of people. There's no sense of how the products in development align with a broader strategy and if you asked 10 people "what's the goal of Suitcase Fusion" I think you'd get a variety of answers.

Extensis on the whole doesn't have a mission statement that I've seen, so outside of "make the X kind of best software" I'm not sure the company has a central "reason for being".

Admittedly communication is a challenge for any and every company, and the more abstract the communication - such as a reason for being - the more difficult it can be to really get it right.

The tenure also means advancement opportunities are limited, and a lot of people are still working in roles from their point of entry in the business. They tend to hire senior people, so everyone is more-or-less making a living wage and content with that, which again creates a kind of self-limiting environment.

Advice to Management

Help everyone understand where the business is headed, and how the products support that vision. Consider creating career maps that help employees better understand how their careers with Extensis can evolve. Continue to focus on the work/life balance you've achieved, as it's a real differentiator.

10. "Great Company, Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Extensis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Extensis is an extremely successful company that offers employees a good work/life balance. Management sets realistic expectations and has confidence in their employees to get the job done once they've proven themselves. In the office there is a relaxed atmosphere. The turnover at Extensis is very low (which tells you all you need to know).

The benefits, location, company events, and views from the office are also a nice perk.

Cons

The marketplace we sell into is evolving and is more competitive than it used to be. The company is doing a great job of being proactive and finding competitive advantages.