Fantasy Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
David Martin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Cutting edge work with genuine people"

I have been working at Fantasy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Currently working at Fantasy and it has quite honestly surpassed my expectations. The people inside these walls are obviously all super talented but also very genuine and humble people. It feels like a small family here and everyone is aligned on where we want to take this company moving forward and what it takes to get there. In terms of the project work, it doesn't get better. Super challenging and unique problems to solve WITH partners, not clients. The agency model of pitch decks and waterfall presentations doesn't exist here. It feels like a true product company.

Cons

Fantasy is small and small for a reason. It allows the opportunity for everyone to work on multiple facets of each and every project. That being said, that is not for everyone. You cannot focus on one small thing for weeks on end and perfect it...you have to focus on everything and this can definitely be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep allowing your people to grow the company organically.

"Stellar clients, talent, and projects. And I've never felt more valuable."

I have been working at Fantasy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Over the years, I've worked at several agencies: west coast, in Brooklyn, and here in Manhattan. I can say that I've never felt more valuable in any role as I have at here Fantasy.

The company itself is split between its New York and San Francisco offices, with different clients handled separately by each. Rather than feeling disjointed, however, we all keep in constant contact, which creates for me an overall feeling of having close family living in different places.

I sit in the midst of world-class, stellar talent every single day, and it honestly keeps me striving to be the best I can. The clients, projects, and leadership here keep everyone elevated and innovating on a daily basis.

Cons

Client work is relentless. That's true at any digital agency. The bad news is that there's always more work coming in, which means you need to excel at managing your time, being proactive to a fault, and over-communicating with everyone so nothing falls through the cracks. If you don't like changing tires while the car is roaring down the highway, Fantasy might not be for you. We're in a high gear much of the time, but somehow it's incredibly rewarding.

Advice to Management

Make sure to keep trusting your teams and give ownership whenever possible. Project teams have far too many decisions to make on a daily basis to wait on a thumbs up.

Fantasy Response

Jul 27, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the review! It's terrific to hear. Indeed, we will continue to empower our teams and get our decision process to the next level. Hiring the right folks in as we are doing is crucial to... More

"Great team, cool clients"

I have been working at Fantasy full-time

Pros

Amazing clients, cool team of people, high rotation of projects. Because the agency is on the smaller side it's easy to feel a lot of ownership of projects. Would definitely recommend to friends/collegues.

Cons

It's an agency! It comes with all the frustrations of quick turn arounds and deadlines but for people who thrive in environments where there's lots of work to do, it's a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep taking on exciting work and supporting employee growth.

"Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fantasy full-time

Pros

Big clients, cool projects and great coworkers make Fantasy an awesome experience. The projects will bring the best out of your work and push your abilities further. One of the big plus' is the people you work with at Fantasy are some of the best in the industry.

Cons

Sometimes the clients can be demanding on deadlines l, which causes the occasional long day.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the team and adding great talent.

"A very disappointing experience"

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fantasy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High profile clients, some projects are interesting. Nice for your resume.

Cons

Old school project management methodologies. You will be sitting in an empty office and collaborate only with freelancers or vendors working in different timezones. All talented people already left the company and everyone will do the same after few weeks of working there.

The CEO is insane, behaving rude, arrogant and working with him is the most frustrating experience in the world. Do not believe the hype.

Advice to Management

Close the office and see a psychiatrist! Stop lying to yourself. You are the only reason why all people left the company.

Fantasy Response

Jun 19, 2016 – CEO

Hello again. This must be your 6th or 7th troll review? The same shallow content, questionable grammar and specifically going after the CEO (me).

Fortunately our Sr UX employees have been with the... More

"Really Fun Place to work"

Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at Fantasy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of energy. Great creatives. Very close bonds between employees. Overall it is a very fun place to work. The group lunches are one of the best parts as it really allows you to connect with your co-workers outside of the office.

Cons

It can be chaotic at times but very rewarding when you get through.

Advice to Management

Personal career development opportunities would be greatly appreciated. Projects often move so quickly that there at times feels like there isn't much room/time for personal career growth.

"Best agency I've ever worked with (former client, current employee)"

Current Employee - Senior Producer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Producer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fantasy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hi. Nick here. I have an interesting perspective on working at Fantasy. I was originally Fantasy's client when I worked in Marketing at Google. We hired Fantasy (over RGA, Huge, Razorfish and several other 'hot' boutique agencies) for a multi-million dollar redesign project. I can honestly say that working with Fantasy on the project was my favorite part of my career 3.5 years at Google.

I left the Big G in December 2014 (due to my 3.5-4hr roundtrip commute from SF), but I kept in touch with David Martin (owner). Eventually he and I decided to try things out with me coming over to Fantasy as a producer. I've been here for a few months, and I really love it. Yes, I work very hard and standards are high, but that's what I want. It's what helps me learn and grow. At the same time, the office is very comfortable and relaxed (sometimes too relaxed). If you work here you will quickly become a good shot with a Nerf gun.

But my #1 favorite thing about working at Fantasy is the people. Teams are very small here. And this has created a very family-like culture both inside the office and outside. So essentially when I joined the company, I instantly made many new friends. David organizes company-sponsored outings (like sailing and go-kart racing), but one thing that I see here that I haven't seen at other places is that employees also organize impromptu gatherings outside of work (like BBQs, karaoke night, surfing, etc.).

I've read some pretty messed up stories on here about the company and specific individuals, and from my experience they are completely baseless (and actually kind of funny). Due to their detail and use of specific examples, these stories seem real to someone who doesn't have first-hand information. I'm amazed at skilled some people are at lying. And when reviews are anonymous there's no way to know... so that's why I've attached my name to this one.

Cons

Fantasy's current temporary office leaves a lot to be desired (lots of drywall, no conference rooms) although it's in a good location at 3rd and Brannan. Can't wait to move into the new space in a month or two.

Advice to Management

Keep growing as fast as you can.

"Well-managed, tightly run company"

Current Employee - Legal Counsel in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Counsel in New York, NY

I have been working at Fantasy part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a pleasure to work at Fantasy Interactive; they keep a lean and talented team while maintaining a global presence, and the interaction between their offices in New York and San Francisco is virtual and seamless. Group outings and Fikas also help to keep and build great camaraderie in the office.

Cons

Just a few late night/early morning calls with some clients on the other side of the globe, but that's to be expected!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and stay hands-on with the employees. Meetings between management and employees are extremely helpful.

"Large projects, small teams, open environment"

I have been working at Fantasy full-time

Pros

Great place if you are looking for lean teams that work on large scale projects. You'll be able to own your work while getting the opportunity to learn from some of the best in the industry. Additionally, everyone is down to earth which makes the environment laid back.

Cons

Some late working nights and tight deadlines, which are sometimes unavoidable. However, this issue persists across the board for all agencies. The great thing about Fi is that upper management is always open for feedback and are more than willing to help out in whatever way they can.

Advice to Management

Continue hiring the right people and open to employee feedback.

"Great culture, amazing teams and projects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Fantasy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with some of the best creative people on some high profile projects. A lot of focus on delivering high quality work. Creatives get to work directly with clients and push the boundaries to create some amazing projects.

Flat structure with not a lot of egos. Its all about creating great work as a team. Good work / life balance for all employees

Cons

Could be better with certain internal processes

Advice to Management

Bound to make mistakes but keep up the great work. The company is headed in the right direction.