Farmigo Reviews | Glassdoor

Farmigo Reviews

3.8
Benzi Ronen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Mission-Drive, transparent and culturally diverse."

Pros

* Farmigo employees are enthralled by the mission and come together to create a better food system.
    * Open communication and transparency is deeply encourage and respected across teams and management.
    * The team represents a diverse and fresh culture where ideation and key decision-making germinates from all points of the organization.

Cons

* Team is continually growing and bringing in new talent.

2. "Technical Support Director"

Former Employee - Technical Support Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Support Director in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Farmigo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission driven company with a bright "all hands" type of crew. Very gifted staff who are all willing to pitch in for the greater good of the business.

Cons

Management structure needed to be more organized and aligned. Was hard to find direction at times despite regular check ins.

Advice to Management

Clean up feedback loops and give more direction

3. "Warehouse Associate"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Friendships made with coworkers
    Location of warehouse
    Take free food on outgoing days

Cons

Withholding important information from employees
    Treatment of staff from upper management
    Favoritism when promoting to higher positions

Advice to Management

Ask coworkers for advice on issues
    Spend within budget

4. "Internal problems"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Farmigo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to rise quickly within the company.
    Plenty of places for job growth for both women and minorities.

Cons

Doesn't spend within budget.
    As of now the company just closed its' west coast(san fransisco and seattle) operations due to lack of investor funding.
    hard to transfer from one department to the next(ie. warehouse operations to office management)

Advice to Management

Best to look elsewhere because severe lack of funding may mean closure soon.

"Operations"

Pros

Farmigo is a great company to work for. They offer a great work/life balance, a comfortable and enjoyable work environment, and they do a great job balancing a big mission statement with running a successful company.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company

6. "Wonderful team, inspiring work, dedicated company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Farmigo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The team. The individuals who work at Farmigo are dedicated, passionate, and hard working. This is everyone from the warehouse to the customer support team, design, engineers, and exec.

- The benefits. They aren't perfect, but the healthcare we are offered is quite good, and the discount on groceries has significantly increased my weekly income.

- Transparency. I think this is always a work in progress, but I do believe this company (the exec team in particular) are keen to be as transparent as possible. The CEO has "Ask Me Anything" meetings with departments, and each week answers questions during the all-team call that are anonymously sent. They are often quite difficult, and he answers them openly and honestly.

- It's a smart start-up. I've worked at other start-ups in the past, and so often have seen them grow too fast, spend too much money, and then terminate a bunch of people or go under. This company is thrifty (some may see that as a Con), and are doing what they can to succeed.

- They care about the people. We all worked really long, hard hours. That's the nature of a start-up, but the team also celebrated and enjoyed each other. We had potlucks, office parties, swag, birthday gifts, etc.

Cons

- Communication between regions and different departments needs to improve. It's the hardest problem to solve, and often becomes over looked because of the nature of a busy start-up, but if this isn't addressed soon, i do worry about attrition or a lost opportunity to really unite ideas and strengthen communication.

Advice to Management

- Keep staying open and honest. Continue listening to all people (not just senior leadership), and think of all people involved in making Farmigo successful: farmers, organizers, customers, warehouse and office employees.

"Terrible experience"

I worked at Farmigo full-time

Pros

I worked with wonderful farmers and producers, and it felt great to help them to run their businesses more successfully.

Cons

One of the reviews for Farmigo called it "tech + nonprofit" - which says a lot, because it's a B-corporation, not a nonprofit, but it pays worse than many nonprofits.

Upper (micro)management: I didn't feel appreciated until I gave notice. Farmigo hires smart people who believe in the mission, but it doesn't value the contributions of all its employees. I spent as much time justifying my work as I did actually doing my work.

Everyone on the team was overworked, all the time.

Unprofessional, especially around human resources-related issues.

Lack of transparency and lack of trust: The CEO is a great salesman. He told us only what we needed to know, and no more. It seemed that he didn't trust many of the people on his team, and as a result, it was impossible to really trust him.

Advice to Management

Farmigo needs a better business model. You cannot succeed with a business model that relies on under-compensating employees, keeping them part-time, or similar shenanigans. As you grow, you need a leader with better people management experience. You are in danger of "founderitis" - when the company doesn't recognize when the founder needs to transition leadership. It doesn't mean the CEO needs to leave, just that there should be a different role.

"Fast Paced Start-Up with Exciting Future to make a major impact on the Local Food System"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Farmigo (More than 3 years)

Pros

Farmigo is a start-up with a great mission behind it. The goal is to use technology to make an impact on our local food system and we are in a place where we are leader's in the industry to do that.

Cons

Because the company is growing so fast, it is lacking some key positions like an HR director, CFO and Marketing Manager. You can definitely feel the need for these positions to be filled. There have been many mistakes in hiring that have lead to wasted time and poor outcomes.

Advice to Management

When hiring for key positions, the candidate should be interviewed by multiple stake holders within the business and not just the CEO's

"Challenging and Empowering Workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Farmigo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All of my colleagues are smart, challenging, and mission-driven. I feel engaged in my work and my projects. My managers not only appreciate my input, they appreciate my capabilities and give me opportunities to grow and improve.

Cons

When working for a startup, the path for individual growth is more sinuous compared to a more established company. However, this gives you the opportunity to define your own path and be exposed to various aspects of the business.

Advice to Management

We could benefit from more formalized knowledge sharing

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - National Organizing Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - National Organizing Director in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

I am a full time employee in the New York office. I enjoy coming to work each day -- the new Brooklyn office facility at CoWorkrs is great. Unlimited coffee, lots of space, and the open desk plan encourages collaboration. Also, we get deals on the food which has completely changed the way that I cook for myself and my friends. The people are talented and I feel I learn a lot from my coworkers.

Cons

Our business is spread across the entire country and it's been challenging to get to know everyone in Seattle and the Bay Area. Plus, our warehouse in New York is far away from the front office in Gowanus, and that makes it challenging to build a close relationship with the staff in the warehouse.

Advice to Management

Make every New York employee visit the warehouse at least once a quarter.