Filtration Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Steve Felice

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Quickly Growing Company, Never Bored"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Filtration Group (Less than a year)

Pros

- Personally I have a great boss on the team I worked on
    - Lots of projects, never run out of things to do
    - Very hands on with projects
    - Boss does not micromanage and trusts employees
    - Lots of opportunity to learn by doing
    - Decent health and 401k benefits

Cons

- Company is growing very quickly in business, but does not appear to keep up with staffing. If you are an efficient employee and can handle a lot of work it's good, otherwise it may be overwhelming.
    - Not a lot of company bonding events, makes it difficult to meet people and understand everyone's role within the company
    - Engineering salary below average for job and location
    - Quickly growing makes it seem a little chaotic, may be solved if staffing improves
    - Relatively old facility
    - Not a lot of room for advancement

Advice to Management

- Hire more people! It's good to never be bored, but it's bad to be spread way too thin and feel like each project is not 'fully' completed

2. "Welcome to McDonald's"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colonial Heights, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colonial Heights, VA

I have been working at Filtration Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We had a great business for 50+ years. If we can get back to our way of management that made this business great we will have another great 50+ years.

Cons

Under the current management the future isn't looking promising.

Advice to Management

Welcome to McDonald's
    A warning to anyone considering applying to Porex in Colonial Heights Virginia:
    I've been working here a very long time and have seen this business really decline in the past couple of years. This was a great place to work as an hourly production worker but as I see it now it is no more than a stepping stone for new hourly employees to hold you over until something better comes along. The pay for new hourly employees has been greatly reduced and is no longer competitive and neither are the benefits. When it was American Filtrona and Filtrona we had a good upper management team who communicated with the employees. They knew the employees and knew what was happening on the production floor. After all, who knows the machines and the process and the problems/issues better than the people who work on them everyday? Upper management cared about the future of the company and wasn't just concerned about only today. They realized the importance of securing the future of this business.

But what really put this business on the map was their ability to hire quality employees at an entry level that had the ability to advance to higher jobs such as operator, quality control, and fixer. Let me repeat that again: But what really put this business on the map was their ability to hire quality employees at an entry level that had the ability to advance to higher jobs such as operator, quality control, and fixer. That is no more! And mark my words - That's what will take this business off of the map if it continues!! But why? Is it the lower wage/benefits or managements inability to hire quality entry level worker? Personally I think it's a whole lot of BOTH.

And its not just lack of hiring quality entry level workers that will hurt this business. The skilled maintenance department (electricians, electronic techs, mechanical) has been reduced to the bare minimum with several of them on the brink of retiring, and the remaining are up in age as well. No real effort has been seen to replace these workers. It will take a highly qualified individual and many months of training to replace one of our current maintenance workers. Yes, QUALIFIED as in an ELECTRICIAN with previous factory experience. Of course at wage that is not competitive. Without an EXPERIENCED maintenance crew operations will cease!

We will have quite a few hourly employees retire in the near future and not enough quality employees to replace them. That's when this business will start to fail. There is a poster in the foyer that says "The pillars of our success are our employees". Upper management needs to take a look at that poster and needs to realize how true it is and change their hiring practices, or remove the poster. Otherwise we will be in the business of flipping burgers.

3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Filtration Group full-time

Pros

We still have jobs for the moment

Cons

Overwhelmed and under paid no clear direction on operating as a new purchased company and input from existing staff ignored or dismissed.

Advice to Management

Do your homework upfront when purchasing companies. Don't take out your frustration on the staff of new companies because you don't know what's going on and how to fix it.

4. "Good Stepping Stone"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Filtration Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Management is flexible with schedules.

Cons

Not much room for growth

"Worked there for 6 yrs"

I have been working at Filtration Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of work, 3 shifts

Cons

Personnel, reconstruction, union, bathrooms and 2 buyouts in 5 yrs

Advice to Management

Listen to people who work there for many years.

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Filtration Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people are very nice to work with. The applications are very interesting.

Cons

Company is targeting aggressive growth which has created some growing pains.

Advice to Management

Invest in your hard workers

"Fast Growing"

I have been working at Filtration Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dedicated staff, purpose in work and outcome, expanding opportunities as the company keeps growing organically and through acquisitions

Cons

Lack of communication, many previously separate companies are becoming one creates mixed cultures, some lost entrepreneurial spirit

"Engineering-Coop"

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Fairburn, GA
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Fairburn, GA

Pros

Rotational program gives great experience in different areas of the company, but interns not in that rotation can be stuck with boring, mundane tasks. Pay decently well.

Cons

Generally an older generation of people there, who openly voice their negative opinions about the place. Supposedly the owners of the company, filtration group, cause the most harm to the company.

"Great Company"

I have been working at Filtration Group full-time

Pros

Benefits, great people, great opportunities

Cons

Sometimes seems unorganized, but usually only temporary and due to everyone being eager to make improvements.

10. "Rewarding Engineering Internship"

Pros

The medium company size allows opportunities to do impactful work and to work with many different departments. I worked on many product development projects that spanned the product life cycle, which helped me acquire many different skills.

Cons

Internship tasks and long-term goals can be disorganized at times, although understandable because of the highly variable cycles in workload among coworkers.