Fingerhut Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Fingerhut Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2018

2.9
Fingerhut CEO Brian Smith (no image)
Brian Smith
  1. "This was a great part time job, lots of flexibility"

Shipping Clerk in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Fingerhut

Pros

Flexibility, good money to help make it through the month. The hours are flexible. My manager was a joy to work for. I really like the extra money.

Cons

While the pay was okay, I would not make this a full time Job. The shipping warehouse is a good place to work. We were shipping stuff all the time.

Advice to Management

Please keep the flexible hours. I think that will continue to draw the right people to work there. A few more breaks would be appreciated.

Fingerhut2012-03-30

"Nice to work from home"

I worked at Fingerhut

Pros

Working at home, no traffic

Cons

Can get ho-hum same 'ole same 'ole because of the lack of coworker interaction.

Fingerhut2018-07-28

"Too Much Politics and Few Is Actually Working"

I worked at Fingerhut full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule. Loved the summer Friday afternoon off benefit. Decent compensation and benefit package.

Cons

In one department, there are 6 VPs, 6 Directors, 3-4 Mangers/Senior Mangers, 3-4 Analysts. See the problem??

Fingerhut2015-07-09

"Lack of coaching and development leads to a toxic work environment"

I have been working at Fingerhut full-time

Pros

Great product model, you can't find many retailers who can do what Fingerhut is doing well and that is offering credit to sub-prime customers at monthly payments rather than turning them away. It was the reason that attracted me to the company and the reason I didn't want to leave. However, not many employees (at least in merchandising) remember to embrace this concept. Not many even know or have ever read the... company's mission statement on providing credit to the sub-prime customer who wouldn't otherwise receive it at other retailers. Great work-life balance here. In the last year, they started doing flex hours.

Cons

Challenging work teams, no leadership direction, no training provided, you really have to help yourself along the way - don't think anyone will mentor of guide you. There are a handful of extremely toxic individuals and behaviors in the Merchandising where I worked; inviduals are negative, demeaning, unprofessional, catty, and disrespectful. There is no such thing as offering solutions, people are not afraid to... challenge and critisize new ideas w/o offering any positive, constructive feedback or solutions. The loudest person always gets heard, and they are not always the most thoughful, experienced or intelligent individuals - yet, they get heard and things change to please them.

Advice to Management

Coaching, Leadership Development, Training are needed

Fingerhut2014-04-22

"Company as a whole is well organized, but continued to become more beaurocratic and unproductive while moving toward IPO"

I worked at Fingerhut full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Successful company with a good business plan for growing their business. Allowed for a good work/life balance.

Cons

No room for advancement, selfish, snotty executives. No appreciation for the "little guys"

Advice to Management

Care about your employees more than yourselves- they make the clock tick

Fingerhut2014-03-18
  6. "Okay experience....Repetitive work and no room for advancement"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Fingerhut part-time for more than a year

Pros

good atmosphere, friendly people, nice building

Cons

pay, repetitive, no room for advancement, no freedom

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and offer more opportunity for advancement

Fingerhut2012-12-11
  7. "Good"

Collector in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Fingerhut

Pros

Benefits, Health, Dental, Medical, Vision

Cons

Job Stability and lack of Promotion

Fingerhut2011-11-04
  8. "Good people, not too good environment"

in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fingerhut

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Hard place to work. Look hours

Advice to Management

Please take a hard look on the floor

Fingerhut2011-10-04
  9. "The Hut is okay"

Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Fingerhut

Pros

My peers where great to work with and I learned a lot from them. There are a lot of smart people there.

Cons

Executives live in a ivory castle. My department was closed off to what the rest of the company was doing.

Advice to Management

Communication is vital. Let us understand how we are contributing to the bigger picture.

Fingerhut2010-06-11
  10. "Make your Quotas and life isn't too bad at Fingerhut."

Telemarketing Sales Representative in Brooklyn Center, MN

I worked at Fingerhut

Pros

Good pay, lots of jobs and security if you work hard. Putting in the effort to succeed will almost guarantee your job is secure, except for uncontrollable executive decisions regarding layoffs and economic woes etc. The team based environment and commission is worth while. Bilingual salespeople make a killing, so brush up on your Spanish in particular. Overall a good place to work but the company has a bad rep from... telemarketing. Team leads can push pretty hard to make quotas, as your performance affects them as well. Expect to work at least a weekend a month. Could be worse.

Cons

The name Fingerhut has a stigma attached to it in a lof of places. the Telemarketing component of the company has its detractors. I mean, most people don't like getting called by salespeople, especially on weekends, but the company has to make money right? It can be stressful and quotas are no joke. Customizing scripts and improvisation are a big part of the telemarketing sales reps' job and you will get stuck... partnering with better sellers if you don't adapt quickly, so as to learn how they are doing it and up your game. A lot of stress and it can seem shady with shipping and handling costs being ridiculous.

Advice to Management

To be honest, not a lot. I was a little cog in a big machine, so I never had much to consider beyond my team duties.

Fingerhut2009-03-11