First Databank Reviews | Glassdoor

Chuck Tuchinda, MD, MBA

"Human Resorces"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

I've had a positive experience starting with the interview process to now. Everyone has been friendly and helpful and seem to genuinely care about the work the company does. The CEO is very down to earth and easy to talk to and cares about your input.

Cons

I can't think of any at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the current culture of caring for employees.

Sep 23, 2016 – President

I'm glad to hear your interview experience was positive and things are going well so far. It's people like you that have made us what we are. Thanks for the kind words. We appreciate it! -Chuck ... More

2. "FDB is a leader driving change, innovation & interoperability focused on the medication and medical device domains."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Databank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Exciting to be involved in a very fast pace, unconventional medical field that affects millions of people. Medication-related content is ever changing and becoming more complex with our newer pharmacogenomics knowledge.

Cons

Difficult sometimes to influence system vendor deployments due to their implementation choices and the difficulties they have with upgrades and change management.

Advice to Management

Keep up the innovation momentum..

Sep 23, 2016 – President

Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you are having a good experience here. We do plan to keep up the innovation momentum. Any ideas you have for new and exciting solutions to market challenges ... More

"Dysfunctional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Databank full-time

Pros

The compensation is not bad.

Cons

Management is dysfunctional. They have no idea what the employees actually do. They only care about the bottom line.

Sep 23, 2016 – President

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience working here. Best of luck in what's next for you. -Chuck

"Noisy open-office layout"

I have been working at First Databank full-time

Pros

The work is worthwhile. It's interesting and challenging.

Cons

The open-office layout does not block any noise, and unfortunately a lot of people are not considerate about the noise they make. The company stocks earplugs in the supply room, but they don't help.

Advice to Management

It would help to have real cubicles, more conference rooms, and more space. Or you could give employees training in how to work in this kind of environment without causing disruptions.

Sep 23, 2016 – President

Thank you for your feedback. We take the content of these replies seriously and will evaluate your input to improve. The intention of the open floor plan in the South San Francisco office is to ... More

"Great co-workers; benefits and compensation need a boost"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people are smart and most have great personalities. The work environment is good with 1-day of remote work possible after 1 year of employment. I love my team and most of the managers are just wonderful, transparent, cool and caring people. The work can be rewarding. Most new hires are parents looking for a better work/life balance that are OK with the benefits and salary cut to have daytime hours.

Cons

Every hour is counted and it feels like "big brother" is always watching.
    Some standard benefits that one would expect for a company that has quarterly meetings talking about how profitable we are (no paid maternity/paternity leave outside of state support, 10-20% below average starting salaries compared to other bay area companies, no bonuses, pension program ended for new hires, health insurance premiums are very high compared to similar positions in the bay area). Nothing is in place to retain employees like other local companies have (6-week sabbaticals after 6 years). There appear to be no opportunities to advance or to be promoted in the next 10 years.

Advice to Management

Consider looking at the benefits package and compensation offered and compare it to other companies in the area. We need to be more competitive to retain the talent hired. Show that you trust your employees and relax remote work standards; this will make employees so much happier. Also, most of us work longer hours more efficiently remotely, so the company may gain productivity.

Sep 23, 2016 – President

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We certainly appreciate the feedback. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the work-life balance that FDB provides. Our people and our culture are some of our ... More

"Nice"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Healthy work environment in my team

Cons

No cons as of now

Advice to Management

No advice as of now

Sep 23, 2016 – President

Thank you for the review, I'm glad that you're happy here! I hope you always have a positive experience, but in case you ever start to see something trend in the wrong direction, please reach out to ... More

"Favorites"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Databank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Holiday pay, monthly luncheon, Holiday celebrations, some of the employees and some of the supervisors are great to work with. Pay is pretty decent.

Cons

There is favoritism in most departments.
    If they don't like you your life here will be very hard.
    You are not given a lot of chances.
    They can fire you without warning.
    Most departments there is no moving up, even if there are I, II, III levels they all do the same jobs the title is only given after years of being here (unless you have a good manager who values the merits that an employee has shown).
    Difficult to speak with management, they only want to hear that you admit you have done wrong.
    Turn over rate has gone up.
    Moral has gone down.
    Inconsistencies on policies/procedures.

Advice to Management

Don't just go with what your higher up is telling you, investigate first then figure out the next steps.

Sep 23, 2016 – President

I'm sorry you felt this way about your experience at FDB. We work hard to ensure that there's no favoritism and that people are measured fairly based on their effort and results. Our company's ... More

"Very happy at FDB."

I have been working at First Databank full-time

Pros

Flexibility in my schedule. Talented people. The company does something positive for people and makes a huge difference in clinical decisions and patient care.

Cons

Lack of a formal training program for new and current employees.

Advice to Management

Improve on-boarding process for new employees. Create more formal training programs for market and industry knowledge as well as product knowledge. Create bonus program.

Sep 23, 2016 – President

Thank you for your feedback. I agree that our new employee onboarding could improve. We have made great strides here, but it can always be better -- especially beyond the first few days. Since the ... More

"A poor choice"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at First Databank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I met a few good people there. They'd close the office a half a day early on holidays, on occasions. They have free coffee and tea on the break room. They give you a paycheck every two weeks. They do some teleworking, but they have trust issues with this.

Cons

PharmD are very self-important and that causes all sorts of issues. There is no training or orientation. First day will be in meetings like the rest of the staff as if you've been there your whole life. They LOVE having all-hands meetings for everything. Smaller group meetings turn into gripe sessions. Overall most people are very unhappy. I've had managers say that things aren’t right, but it's just the way it is. You'll get a small, cost of living raise, then an increase on your insurance premiums, which are more than your raise. You’ll have to ask yourself, how bad to do you need that paycheck.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring outside companies to give all-hand training on how improve the business. If you don't know, someone outside the firm isn't going to give you some secret recipe.

Sep 23, 2016 – President

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry that your experience was not good. We value our employees and thank you for your feedback as we strive to be a quality organization and learn from the past. In ... More

"Great Company in Growing Sector of Healthcare"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Databank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very strong niche player in healthcare information technology field. Provides critical solutions for medication decision making for medical professionals and it's wonderful to be part of making a difference in the world. New leadership has been a catalyst for more challenging work, more competitiveness, more positive energy and more fun. Company has been very successful for over 30 years in the business and has had increased focus on innovation and customer relations. Great camaraderie among most employees.

Cons

Multiple office locations throughout the US and in the UK sometimes makes it difficult to effectively communicate and maintain project efficiencies (but I suppose that is expected in companies with dispersed staff members).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in continuing to raise the bar on competitive spirit, growth and building value to customers!

Sep 23, 2016 – President

Thanks for the detailed feedback and kind words. Please keep the feedback coming - we intend to change and improve every day. -Chuck