Firstborn Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Firstborn President Dan LaCivita
Dan LaCivita

1. "Where Opportunity Meets Accountability"

I worked at Firstborn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely talented people who genuinely want to do great work together. Firstborn takes care of its people, operating under the belief that without its people, it has nothing. I always felt like opportunities were there for people to step up and grab, and that there was a shared accountability for not only the work being put out, but the state of the agency overall. Encourages an environment where ideas on how to better the agency can come from anyone. Strikes a balance between enough structure and process that things aren't chaos, but enough flexibility so it can continue to push the way they do things.

Cons

As Firstborn continues to hone what its specialties are in an ever-evolving industry, it sometimes goes through periods where the work its attracting isn't the most exciting for its employees. Still some efficiency kinks to be worked out within the production process, so that team members aren't too spread thin.

Advice to Management

New(er) Firstborners need to feel like the agency is theirs too. Balance the agency's strong heritage with a way to involve everyone in building its future.

2. "Firstborn"

Pros

Firstborn will always be special to me. Some of the nicest, smartest people I have ever been around. You always feel valued and never under appreciated. You will always feel involved, which is great when the work is best in class.

Cons

The hours are long, but if you're willing it will pay off. The people who work at firstborn must know how to maintain a work life balance. If you don't you will drown in work.

Advice to Management

Keep the transparency with everyone. I can't underestimate how much people appreciate it.

3. "Awesome team and a very special place"

I worked at Firstborn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very tight knit group that really looks out for each other. They work really hard to make it a special place. It's not easy, and expectations are very high but it's an awesome environment if you work hard, they definitely look after you.

Cons

The only real downside while I was there was that I had no natural light in my office, which after 4 years kinda grinds on you. They are moving to a new space though which I think has more natural light.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Good if your job here is your entire life"

I worked at Firstborn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bright, creative, and motivated people all under one roof. You will also work incredibly hard but develop some solid skills along the way. The work you collect for your personal portfolio will be phenomenal.

Cons

Your job has to be your entire life. They are not flexible on hours. You are required to put in standard hours (9-7) when times are relaxed. Be prepared for crazy hours when there's a deadline. Since there's always over-delivery, impending deadlines usually start weeks before the completion of a project. As my review title states, if you are 100% sure the line of work you do here is your ultimate goal, this is a great place. Otherwise you will burn out and hate life.

Advice to Management

Hmm. I don't have much to critique on here. They do run a solid business. My rating on senior management is based on their ability to be value-add to the business.

"Culture is king."

I worked at Firstborn full-time

Pros

The biggest pro is by far the people. Everyone cares so much about the work and each other, and it's truly different from every other agency I've worked at. There's a hierarchy, in a good way, but everyone is important no matter their title.

Cons

The hours can be long, but it's often by choice—someone wants to get each pixel exactly right or put in the extra hours to make something perfect.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture, but don't force it. Just keep being yourselves, and the culture and great work will follow.

"Great Place and People"

Pros

Awesome work environment- people really want to take care of each other and people who don't are usually kept in check. There's a no B.S. attitude here but that really pushes people to do good work. The company also invests a ton of effort into making sure people are happy in their positions- which is really rare to find.

Cons

Hours can be long and sometimes the work gets repetitive, so ideally there would be more effort to get different kind of work to keep people creatively fulfilled.

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture, even as the company grows. Have faith in junior staff.

8. "Android developer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Firstborn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company , Great People , Great Benefits. They value their work and their employees

Cons

The location was inconvenient for me to work at due to some family trouble so i had to leave.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome

"No bull"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Firstborn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you want to do some serious work.

It has a no-bull approach to doing the work that needs to be done.

People with egos or negative attitudes are quickly taken care of. That nonsense doesn't fly at Firstborn; the company is a single team.

Flat hierarchy and attitude; no one really cares about one's title (they're mostly for clients). I barely know the titles of the people around me.

Still keeping corporative baloney to a minimum.

Feels like family, if you approach it with the same attitude.

Cons

Not much guidance for newcomers, especially people that needs to be managed or to adapt to the culture.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Seriously.

"Smart people, lots of heart for the work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Firstborn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of talent everywhere, especially in the creative, studio, and dev teams—which means lots of great ideas and execution. Really tight culture and lots of ritualistic events throughout the year that bring people together.

Cons

Not as well known as some of the bigger shops, which can be both good and bad

"Nice place to work, feels like a start-up but now starting to grow on a rapid scale."

I have been working at Firstborn full-time

Pros

Get to work with some truly wonderful people.

Cons

The agency is growing bigger in a very rapid way, and the culture is starting to suffer.