Formula PR Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Michael A. Olguin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Formula=Work Hard, Play Hard"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in San Diego, CA

Pros

Fast paced. Learn a TON.

Cons

PR is hard. I wish there were also more stairs in the building.

Advice to Management

More summits.

"Account Executive"

I worked at Formula PR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company made an effort to promote individual growth and train entry level employees.

Cons

Overall, the work culture was poor. Employees were nice, but the atmosphere was toxic. High turnover rate and constantly changing teams.

"Great Company but Prepared to be Burnt Out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Formula PR (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture, great people to work with. Work hard, play hard attitude. Range of clients from start-up to big brand giving you lots of different opportunities and views of what you can do within a PR program.

Cons

If you are single, have no kids, etc., this is the place for you. If you are "in" with the popular people you have more opportunities. If you aren't liked, you will get pushed out fast.

Advice to Management

bring professional development further to the forefront, greater cross pollination between teams also would be helpful to understand/learn more from others successes and activities. Continue to recognize the people busting their butts, not just the people brown nosing.

"PR Assistant"

Pros

hand on experience, great clients

Cons

not a lot of room to grow

5. "Amazing PR and Professional Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

At this firm, you learn something new every single day and your senior mentors want to make sure that you're constantly being challenged and always growing.

There's no doubt that you work hard--that's agency life and PR life--but the long, hard hours make you a well-trained PR professional who understands PR inside and out.

Formula provides employees with the opportunity to have face-to-face time with clients and often perform work that's above their level. These constant challenges create a strong learning environment and give employees the opportunity to move up the ladder and grow at their own pace--which is usually fast for the hungriest PR professionals.

The dress code is professional and not anti-feminist as stated below; the firm wants you to dress and act professionally and be prepared for an on-the-spot meeting with a client if the opportunity presents itself.

There are fun social events such as happy hours and backyard BBQs which are optional but recommended it you want to get acquainted with your colleagues and build relationships in the workplace. I always attended the social events and now my once employees are some of my best friends.

All in all, I wouldn't trade my 2+ years for anything and recommend Formula to any young professional who wants to enter the professional world, learn a ton, and be a competitive candidate in the communications world.

Cons

There is high turnover, but again, this is agency life and PR life; it's not for everyone, but rather for hungry, energetic and passionate professionals.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to find a more consistent and transparent way to notify employees of other employees' departures; this would make the "turnover experience" less nerve-racking for current employees.

6. "Incredible Learning Experience, Smart People Who Work Hard and Play Hard"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Formula PR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Learned something new everyday and constantly challenged
    - Continually offered new opportunities to grow
    - Great opportunity to work with smart, motivated and passionate people
    - Hard work was always recognized and rewarded
    - Not only established great professional relationships, but many developed into lifetime friendships
    - The company and management really care about the staff as the agency was always organizing culture activities, offering incentives and really making sure the staff was rewarded for all the hard work
    - I felt like I had a voice and management listened to what I had to say...and even more importantly, acted upon it
    - Loved the youth and vibrancy of the agency

Cons

- Expectations are high at all levels which was difficult at first coming into the agency at a young age, however it forced me to really push myself and realize my capabilities
    - Long hours at time, but worth it in the long run as I learned so much and was offered more opportunities the more I pushed myself
    - Expectations to get up to speed quickly

Advice to Management

I greatly enjoyed my experience at Formula. Continue to chase big business and grow the agency like it had over my many years there. The effort that management puts into the culture is so important, so continue to make that a priority to recognize the staff for all the hard work they put it.

"Mean Girls 2: The Workplace"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I worked at Formula PR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seems to attract good clients for the San Diego area. Get to participate in fun events.

Cons

-For a company that's almost entirely comprised of women, this place is extremely anti-feminist. Rules include a throwback dress code (no flats with jeans, heels required!) and draconian sit-at-desk work hours. You move up in the company by tearing down those below you. Almost every exec and above has little experience beyond Formula (and seem to have little PR experience to begin with).
    - If you don't attend all social events, you will get blackballed.
    - Lots of secret meetings to talk about other employees
    - Your boss will be in your business and not trust you to do your work

Advice to Management

There should be enough reviews on here saying how this place treats women to serve as a warning. If you like a mean college sorority atmosphere, by all means apply.

"Worst PR Agency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

There are very few good things about this company. The junior staff is very nice and eager to learn.

Cons

Blatant false advertising about what the agency does. They are a media relations pitch factory and nothing more. Upper management is out of touch with modern PR tactics yet doesn't listen to anyone's new ideas. New business pitches are the same deck over and over again just with a different client name included. There is an unusually high rate of client turnover - even for the agency world. The CEO is sexist and unprofessional. Overall, the agency is extremely poorly run and managed and it's amazing that they're still in business.

"Good looking company from the outside"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Diego, CA

I worked at Formula PR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great first PR experience, learned a lot trying to work up to high expectations, glossy office and job titles with job perks like free snacks and social gatherings

Cons

high expectations from interns and junior staff, women there are not friendly and very catty, they don't care about your professional growth, no patience to give guidance or be mentors, gossip behind everyone's back, unsupportive team members

Advice to Management

I suggest that they create a more nurturing environment for team members to flourish and grow.

10. "Fantastic learning experience and great people"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Formula PR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a fast paced environment full of smart and talented people. It is always a great idea to learn in a challenging environment. This being my first real job out of college, it really gave me a great introduction to the working world of PR and allowed me to work on some great clients and projects.

Formula really does care about their employees and works to make life at the company as enjoyable as possible. You really get out what you put in. While the expectations are high, the rewards can be as well in terms of promotion and company social events.

Cons

Very high expectations. I have noticed that for some, especially upper management, the work life balance can be a challenge. This seems to be in the nature of the industry as a whole. You just need to be a hard working individual to thrive at a company like Formula

Advice to Management

Keep rolling in new business and providing junior staff with a clear path to new opportunities.