FramesDirect.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Roy Hessel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great E-Commerce Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at FramesDirect.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the best job I have ever had in e-commerce. When you are driven to succeed you will be rewarded. I work closely with the management staff on a daily basis and they are always striving to do things better and have accountability maintained. There is always something to do, so you will never be bored!

Cons

Regardless of whether you are hourly or salary this is not a 9-5pm job. If the workload is higher, you are expected to stay later and make sure the job gets done and proficiently. While this is not a negative thing to me since I enjoy working hard, I know that some people do not thrive in that type of culture and I suggest if you are that type of person, this is not the job for you. But if you are detail orientated, want to help the company succeed this will be the place for you to shine.

"People are great, the culture is terrible."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at FramesDirect.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people doing the actual work are amazing. The opticians, the web designers, analyst, operations people. All of them are smart, hard working, and easy to get along with.

Because the company is owned by a huge corporation, insurance is ok.

Cons

The culture is terrible. 9-5 you better be in your seat, and not talking to anyone, because that is apparently the only place work gets done. Also, many great ideas or opinions get dismissed regularly and quickly by upper management. This leads to high turnover, in my time there only a single person in my department was there from when I started to when I left.

The job growth within the company is nonexistent. If you plan on growing at this company, don't bother, the only way you are going to step up is to leave.

Advice to Management

The culture needs to change if you want people to stick around.

3. "Dreadful . Do not apply"

I worked at FramesDirect.com full-time

Pros

Staff, the real reason they are surviving with success. The folks, (in spite of their dreadful upper management overworking them and being negative) are great and get along and are helpful.

Cons

The upper management. This man thinks only he is right. He has a short fuse to his powder keg behavior. This place lost 32 associates and 3 managers in 3 years. Why the parent company has not seen this turnover as serious is beyond me.

Advice to Management

People do not change, so you will need to replace upper management and seek a People Manager; not a dictator! Stop the bleeding of staff.

"Culture north of Terrible"

I worked at FramesDirect.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, employees. nothing else

Cons

The executive team are negative based and don't care about the actual associates who make this company money. Its amazing the way they operate.

They fine associates on any mistake they can find and its one persons discretion and made up rules as they go.

They run back ground checks on customers without their knowledge or consent.

they cherry pick the customers whose items ship quick to get better reviews, they asked the staff to leave bogus reviews here on this glassdoor site so the rating would jump (don't believe me look at the close dates of several reviews here)

they talk behind associates back constantly. what a dreary place to work. the turnover is very high. the politics are heavy. several people looking for new job.

A certain executive curses heavily (F word and MF word) in front of even women, he slams his hand on desk and monitor and raises his voice a lot. He does not want your input, he is always right.

HR came down to investigate complaints of leadership habits and while some thought it was better, it just created revenge and head hunting for who complained. what a mess, would not recommend anyone to work there.

One executive hasn't been in the office in over 2 years and when he is there the executive team protect him form any one approaching him. my goodness what a comedy of paranoia.

Advice to Management

The founders created an appreciative culture. Keep your politics and negativity going and revolving door swinging and you will become food for the competitors.

"A truly disingenuous company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Department in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Department in Austin, TX

I have been working at FramesDirect.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only positive thing, are the associates. They stand together, they are each other's backbone. They are the only reason you try to last at this company.

Cons

Everything that is said in the hiring/interview process is completely disingenuous. This company does not care about the employees, or their needs. Everyone is overworked, or burned out because management refuses to hire more people. Every department is so under staffed. People work so much that they barely see their families.

The expectations from upper management are very unrealistic. They treat the employees like children, if you miss a day because you're sick, you are automatically written up.

This company has one of the highest turn over rates, because management only cares about money. Employees cry at their desk, because they are overworked. I have never in my 15 years of employment, seen employees constantly cry at their desks. One employee suffered a stroke, while at their desk. Did management tend to care of that employee...NO! They could care less, as long as the money is being made. No one will bat an eye.

There is no motivation, no inspiration.

This company will continue to lose great employees, simply because the refuse to invest in them.

Advice to Management

Bottom line, you need to start investing in your employees! They are the ones killing themselves to keep this company alive.

"Terrible culture and work environment"

Former Employee - Senior Design Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Design Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at FramesDirect.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people themselves are great – nice, smart, and hard working. The small organization means that most of the time your ideas can be implemented quickly.

Cons

This is the most un-dot-com of any dot-com I’ve ever worked for (and we were actually flat out told “we will never be a dot-com”). While the office location was good for my commute, the actual environment and culture are dreadful. The office primarily houses the manufacturing, shipping, and call center; so there’s a lot of noise happening all around you. Despite all the environment noise, talking is frowned upon, and people are moved to other cubes for talking too much...kinda like in kindergarten.

The cube farm and fluorescent lights are uninspiring at best, and what little natural light is available is wasted on cubes being used for storage. At one point there was discussion about bringing in new furniture and making a more pleasing environment, but that plan has long been abandoned.

Despite the claim that they’ve been in business longer than Google, the company operates as if they’re in startup mode – running from one fire to the next with no long-term plan other than “be more profitable”. Micromanagement is rampant; they hire smart people, but then don’t take them seriously. Those who voice contrary opinions are shut down and/or drowned out.

There are a significant number of employees who work remotely; but they were granfathered into that arrangement. Those are the happiest employees (as you’ll notice from the other glassdoor reviews). Unfortunately, working from home (even on an as-needed basis) is no longer an option for anyone else. It wouldn’t be easy to do anyway, since there are only 2 people in the org who have laptops.

Overall it’s very much a “this is the way we’ve always done it” company with no incentive or plans to change. I am at least the 4th person in my position in the last year and a half. There’s always some excuse as to why the last person didn’t work out…but the root cause is the same; the higher ups aren't interested in investing in the culture, environment, or employees to keep good people around.

Advice to Management

Until you address the dismal office environment and micromanagement issues, you’re going to continue having high turnover and disgruntled employees.

"All these reviews are within a few days of eachother. Be warned."

Pros

Manipulate reviews so the management at least stays on top of things.

Cons

Same reasons stated for pros.

Advice to Management

Don't manipulate your employees to give you good reviews. A 4.0 score is very.... telling. No one is that amazing.

"Truly Dismal Work Environment"

Former Employee - Senior Management in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Austin, TX

I worked at FramesDirect.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about this place is the people in the trenches doing the real work. There are some very smart, hard-working, nice people there that are great at what they do.

Cons

Although there are some nice people among the working ranks, the environment is rather dismal and oppressive, so no one really talks to one another much, nor do they socialize much after hours with one another. Therefore, you miss out on building close friendships.

I worked here in a senior management position for just under 5 years and have been amazed at how people are constantly leaving because of the environment (many leaving in as little time as a week to a couple of months), yet nothing is being done to improve it. In fact, those who leave are often chided and made fun of, addressing specific "faults" which really usually boiled down to their just having a backbone and refusing to be bullied or to work in a morgue-environment.

Don't be fooled by the positive reviews here--look at the dates for when they were posted. They're all from current employees and were posted within the same few days. I was in the meeting when key employees were asked to come to this site and post positive reviews, due to our difficulty in getting people to apply for jobs.

Despite record profits, nothing trickles downhill. They simply want people who don't think, don't question, who will sit at their monitor for 12+ hours a day (for non-hourly employees) and not interact with anyone else. There is no motivation, no inspiration. To be honest, bullying is their modus operandi.

Finally, don't think you will get to do new, cutting-edge things here. They blatantly say that they "...will never do anything that one of the top online retailers hasn't already done and proven." In other words, copying competitors, Amazon and J. Crew and the like. Not very impressive on a resume.

Advice to Management

Efforts need to be taken to make the work environment tolerable and people need to be treated better. Period. New furniture isn't going to cut it. People need motivation, they need inspiration...they need to know they won't be talked about behind their backs...and they need to be rewarded for great work--even if that reward is simply a pat on the back. As it stands now, it really is a bit of a viper's nest, but only the people who have left will say that since those currently employed don't know who to trust enough to be honest about it.

"Leader in Designer Eyewear sales online + Fast growing company"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at FramesDirect.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are very friendly, very dedicated. If you like fashion, this is the paradise of brands (250+ brands from Ray-Ban to Prada). Great employee discounts on eyewear. The new website looks great. Sales are growing fast. Positive environment to work in.

Cons

Hard working team. Don't expect to work 9am-5pm if you're not an hourly employee

Advice to Management

Can't wait to get the new office furniture :)

"FramesDirect is a very good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at FramesDirect.com full-time

Pros

The office culture is good they do expect results but they are not overly demanding There is not a lot of office politics and the management are good people who don't mistreat their employees. There are definitely chances to grow and advance your career here as the company grows. One big pro for FD is they tend to be loyal to their good employees many people have been working here for a long time -- they do not just fire people to save money and hire someone cheaper or lay off people at the drop of a hat at the first sign of slowing sales. Benefits offered are good. I can't really speak for hourly employees but for salaried they are fairly flexible with scheduling and when you need time off. They recently increased the vacation time allotted so that you now get an extra days the longer you have been here (and did not decrease the days we already had).

Cons

Compensation could be better. As an online only company we tend to live and die by our marketing efforts and google rankings so when those are off it can be a pretty stressful time around the company. Luckily that is not often the case.

Advice to Management

My biggest concern for the company is our dependence on Google and competition. We are being out-marketed by several companies with large resources right now. Also we are falling behind technologically other companies now have tryon apps for people's phones we don't even have an app of any kind yet.