Fuel Tech Reviews | Glassdoor

Douglas G. Bailey

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Fuel Tech (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, pay and compensation package

Cons

Downsizing, good ole boy/girl network

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror

2. "A small company that can provide the experience to new project managers in pollution control technology"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Warrenville, IL

I worked at Fuel Tech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fuel Tech has the experience and the reputation to deliver quality pollution control systems.A small company that can provide the experience to new project managers in pollution control technology in the heavy industry for coal fired boilers generation and industrial environments. Equipment like SNCRs, ESP, LNB, etc encompasses the core. They provide tools to be successful. It will be up to you to plan and develop a successful project. Career development is a plus where they will make sure that you are advancing in your careers with technical licenses and professional certification that help you do your job the best you can. Good communication is something that everyone can benefit from and is emphasized here.

Cons

The pollution control technology environment is an up and down cycle that provides uncertainty to the industry. Large capital projects are starting to become rare but hopefully will turn around with regulations.

Advice to Management

Protect your resources as I believe they are the reason Fuel Tech can deliver the quality product that the company's reputation and experience is known for.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL

I worked at Fuel Tech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. I can't think of one "pro" when I worked for this company. There is a lot of whispering and out of office communication. There is no teamwork or unity anywhere in this company. If you are a people person, do not work here.

Cons

No one is in charge. Constant stress with an HR department trying to promote themselves with disregard for those not in a position to defend themselves; the mentality is that "HR is the sheriff and can break the rules because no one is above them". Very strange and horrible company.

5. "Pretty good smaller company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batavia, IL

I worked at Fuel Tech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think it's a pretty good business model, with a lot of upside. Smallish size means you had the opportunity to interact personally with senior mgmt. Relaxed environment, company picnic once a year, etc. You just have to decide if the career track is for you. For me, I had more luck since moving on.

Cons

Smaller company; opportunities for advancement were therefore pretty limited. Your experience depended on the personalities of your immediate superior (obviously). I was lucky in that regard, to work with good people. Also, I was quite junior (my first job) so what did I know about advancement?

I will say that the pay, for me, was OK, but not the greatest, and I've found much better compensation packages since I've moved on. Your mileage may vary, but I did hear stories about a few coworkers (one of whom left) who were definitely underpaid.

Also my stock option grant was virtually worthless after I left, which put a bad taste in my mouth.

Also, if you are young, there was not much chance to interact with coworkers after work for drinks, and so on, most workers were older and had family obligations. For a social scene, and meeting people (not the point of a job, I know, but this does go to work/life balance), I had a better experience once I moved downtown.

"Avoid this place unless you want to be beat down"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Batavia, IL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Batavia, IL

Pros

The travel opportunities to see the world are great. Being able to work unsupervised is a real plus too. If you work for Sales or Process you will be paid well and taken care of, you will get anything you need or want even if it is unwarranted.

Cons

The personalities at the top of the org chart makes one think of going postal. The flat-out lies by the CEO to the employees when he came on board should get him fired. The lack of respect given to the employees is a shamefull fact of working here. It did not used to be this way but with the managmeent that has come in here the last couple years it is a fact of life now.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage intelligent people properly. Be honest with us!

"Management Team in Trouble"

I have been working at Fuel Tech (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is very accommodating to employees. Travel is arranged around employee schedules. The work environment is nice, the office is modern and kept up well.

Cons

The rules only apply to a few. The management team does not have a good understanding of how the company is actually run. There are many within the organization who lean towards the dark side.

Advice to Management

Wake up and smell the expensive coffee brewing in your office. Fuel Tech was once a great organization that has taken a very wrong turn. The ones closet to the top may not have the best perspective.

"Run"

I have been working at Fuel Tech full-time

Pros

You feel good working for a company that sells air pollution control. The office is modern and the kitchen is always stocked.

Cons

Hard workers are underappreciated. Management - so many VPs for a company of this size - wears blinders and only cares about their own self promotion. Nobody has a desire to cooperate with others. Since new CEO has been in place culture has only gotten worse.

Advice to Management

The company is really hurting right now, layoffs are demotivating on their own so treat the people you still have as if they matter.

"10% of Workforce"

I have been working at Fuel Tech full-time

Pros

Fuel Tech sells air pollution control systems so you feel good about what the company does. Good coffee, fruit and granola bars provided daily. Company closes early the day before a holiday and closes all together if the weather is bad (grown up snow days). Salary is above or at market levels.

Cons

In a predominately male run organization you might expect there a "good 'ol boys" club prominently on display, yet this club is run like a social clique of middle school mean girls. The lack of communication from the CEO downward and between departments is pathetic. Fuel Tech's sales have been on a downward trend for a few years, yet the number of VPs have been increasing during the same timeframe. One would think that adding overhead while the company is in financial straits would be a terrible idea. In a company of 200 there are about 20 VPs, all of which are constantly in ego battles with each other and pursue whatever priorities they chose often creating double work or overlapping - all avoidable with communication.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves and give employees a reason to stay and the opportunity to improve the company.

"Company stands for good, but terribly managed."

I worked at Fuel Tech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for the company's supposed purpose of reducing air pollution feels good. Benefits are really good (they pay a good portion of your deductible also). The general majority of fellow employees are great to work with.

Cons

Upper management has their own interests as an immediate priority. Decisions are done as personal needs, not for the employees or the company. In a company of 120, give or take, there are more than a handful of VPs that do not work toward a common goal. Fuel Tech operates on corruption and who has a hold of the most black mailing information to keep their position or get ahead. Laid off several hard working employees instead of cutting high 6-figure salaries of mediocre "managers and VPs."

Advice to Management

Get some hands on training by real professionals at real companies on how to manage and do business before you drive the company into the ground along with the hard working employees.

"A....."

Pros

Excellent management and fellow colleagues. Technical experience and proven results are unmatched in the industry. The work load is high but the pay structure is among the best I've seen. I would highly recommend this company to others, in the event that the company is able to substantially lower its pricing to the customer.

Cons

Too much overhead effecting the companies ability to price jobs competitively in todays market place.