Fullscreen Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
George Strompolos

Pros
  • Positive work environment, relaxed atmosphere (in 10 reviews)

• The actual office space is cute (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not on the same page with each other (in 3 reviews)

• Cool people, but lack of company culture (in 3 reviews)

"Good not great"

Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Fullscreen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New offices in Playa
    Mostly smart hardworking people
    Interesting industry - part ad agency, part talent management, part production, part SVOD, all online young creatives/creators
    Still plenty of room to grow and opportunity within company

Cons

Young company (5 years old)
    Execs seem inexperienced even though some have been in their industries a while.
    Some people have big titles but do very little that's worthwhile.
    You need to get a lot of people to agree/approve before you can do anything

Advice to Management

Make decisions, clearly communicate direction, treat your loyal employees better, own up to mistakes instead of acting like you're above accountability

"#THX2FS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Fullscreen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel lucky everyday that I get to spend the beginning of my career at Fullscreen. I chose Fullscreen over more established companies, because I wanted a start-up-esque environment, while still having decent structure.

I'm currently learning all the tricks of the trade and wearing tons of hats, but still low-key getting 7-8 hours of sleep. How often do you get to work with creative entertainment colleagues, to brilliant engineers, to the charming sales/marketing folks, all under one roof and walking distance from each other?

The entrepreneurial spirit truly resonates with everyone here; people actually do live by, "Be the CEO of your own job." The room for innovation is limitless: this means that there's unlimited room for growth and a drive to always improve the company. Even when I started off as a contractor, my input and opinions were taken seriously, and I felt like I was making immediate impact on the company. In less than a year, I was also converted to full time and even promoted.

There are also many perks like massages, food/drinks, mixers, board game / poker nights, gym access, bikes, $5 movie tix, etc. My favorite perk is its prime location - it's in the heart of Silicon Beach and really close to a few parks. The office is right across the street from the YouTube space, so you also see tons of YouTubers often. The actual office space is cute. Our production studio a few blocks away is awesome too.

Cons

There are inevitable growing pains with a hyper growth organization. While I love the opportunity to build stuff from scratch, it does come with tons of challenges. I don't receive hand holding for specific day-to-day, so I have to learn by doing it myself. There's a lot of pivoting and ambiguity that you have to work with during a company's growth-phase.

Everyone here is extremely forthright. It actually came to me by surprise just how honest people are, and it took me some getting used to.

The free food isn't super duper healthy, and there are rarely vegetarian options (sorry, I'm LA, what can I say?). There are restaurants by Whole Foods that are decent, but it's most likely you'll end up walking to the hip food trucks.

The Fullscreen Cup (company-wide intramural event) was high-key overhyped for me - it was way too hot, and I hate sports.

The company is really focusing on the SVOD product, and there's a lot of competition in the space.

Advice to Management

The company should get more face time with ALL of the executives, so we can see our upper management. Maybe have open office hours with all of the C-level execs, not just our CEO?

Managers need to have more 1:1s with the teams, so they're always knowing how they're performing.

We need more diversity in the C-suites.

"Building Entertainment Experiences that People Love"

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at Fullscreen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My boss has my back
    I get to create cool sh*t from scratch
    I get to work from home two days a week
    Unlimited PTO policy
    Affordable healthcare
    Standing desks
    Access to executives
    All Hands Employee Communications
    Open door hours with the CEO

Cons

We hired over 300 employees in 2016. With that came A LOT of change.
    Lots of new people means new processes, points of view, priority shifts and at times ambiguity
    Our work environment is not perfect, by any means. We are learning and course-correcting as we go

Advice to Management

Keep being advocates for what is right and continue to communicate in meaningful ways.

"The Future of Entertainment"

Current Employee - Executive in Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Executive in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at Fullscreen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth
    Pay
    Creative Freedom
    Experimentation and Risk Taking

Cons

Executive Infighting
    Lack of direction for some products

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in ideas / take risks in process.

"Fullscreen review"

I have been working at Fullscreen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great. Cutting edge company. Energy and growth are exceptional.

Cons

People are cliqueish and if you're not in, you're out.

Advice to Management

Stop firing so many people, especially the good ones.

"Great Promise but not great leadership"

Former Employee - New Creative in Playa del Rey, CA
    Former Employee - New Creative in Playa del Rey, CA

I worked at Fullscreen full-time

Pros

This really is the future of entertainment.
    There are a lot of very nice people there.
    They have a lot of money it appears.

Cons

The people who are supposed to be creative have no clue what they are doing. I don't think they work anywhere for more than a year.
    High turnover and seems they hire people for the strangest reasons.

Advice to Management

Stop fighting with each other and hire people who actually have experience not just a title at whatever company you think is flashy.

"Executive Infighting"

I have been working at Fullscreen full-time

Pros

- Fantastic office full of light and snacks
    - Free lunch on Fridays
    - Fun, smart coworkers

Cons

- Tons of executive infighting
    - Lack of vision/direction
    - Managers don't trust the team to do their jobs
    - Constant turnover -- both people being fired/laid off and people quitting
    - Really poor communication -- it's almost comical how bad it is.

Advice to Management

The executive team has got to go -- they spend their days fighting with one another, using their teams to play political games and generally squandering the company's future for their own.

"Micromanagement + Chaos"

I have been working at Fullscreen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Absolutely gorgeous office in a growing area of LA
    - New health benefits are good and inexpensive
    - Unlimited vacation time

Cons

- Micromanagement from the highest level of the company -- don't even think about making a decision unless it comes directly from the top
    - Youth obsessed culture -- recent rounds of layoffs seem to have targeted anyone older than 35
    - Constantly shifting priorities -- not in a "hey, we're nimble, we're a startup, stuff changes" kind of way - I am talking about getting different directions several times a day
    - Executives don't get along with one another and are constantly using employees to fight their battles
    - Revolving C-Suite

Advice to Management

You guys are running this place into the ground with the executive micromanagement. Hire smart people and let them do their jobs and the company might really go. Do some more vetting of the C suite -- you keep hiring folks in there only to let them go a few months later.

"Keep Scrolling"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at Fullscreen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office space located in Silicon Beach's hottest location, Playa Vista. Great shops and restaurants, and is, close to the airport and the beach. My co-workers are great as we are all highly collaborative but management is not at a level where they have deep understanding of new technology and that holds us back.

Cons

The company doesn't have a clear direction from executive leadership. The founder is still sitting behind the executive team pulling strings. The person they refer to as CEO is not a visionary but an order taker and micro manager who spends time in the weeds yelling at people about on frivolous details he, himself doesn't understand instead of thinking about big picture leading edge business strategies.

The company may get lucky and sell to an antiquated old school organization but that's par for the course, Fullscreen is and has always been behind the technical curve from inception.

Advice to Management

The venture company backing the effort should remove the founder, retire the CEO as he is aged out and either sell this company or shelve it.

"Fullscreen Media"

Former Employee - Direction of Business Operations in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Direction of Business Operations in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at Fullscreen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A healthy body of smart people to learn from. Numerous business units to be a part of in various ways. Open door policy to all the C-levels. They have a culture crew that provides weekly/monthly activities that are fun and meant to connect you with other teams. Plenty of room to grow if you are coming in as a coordinator / manager level. If you have an idea that is well thought out and presentable you will have no problem filling a room to hear you out.

Cons

Cross team communication is lacking but would be expected since they grew so fast in a 12 month span. If you are middle management there ceiling is only so high. Not enough availability of meeting rooms.

Advice to Management

Organize the leaders of the business pillars to keep initiatives aligned to save money and spend more money on trials/experiments that may not have a direct monetary gain but a gain in connectivity across Talent or Brand Activations