Futurex Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Brett Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Fast-paced and very rewarding"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect, CTGA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect, CTGA

I have been working at Futurex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As someone who has worked at other large tech corporations in the past, I am proud to say that I am a member of the Futurex family for many reasons. Futurex has provided me opportunities to utilize my skill set in ways that progress my personal and professional growth rapidly. In comparison to other companies’ I have worked for, Futurex has by far surpassed both the numbers of opportunities given to me, and the speed at which they have been presented. You definitely still need to earn it, but other companies I’ve been with have glass ceilings which limit your rate of growth – Futurex is not only absent of this barrier, but also encourages growth to a considerable degree.

Some of the tangibles:
    - Compensation above market value for similar position
    - Company-sponsored gym membership
    - Company-sponsored health, dental, and life insurance
    - 401K with employer matched contributions
    - Plenty of amenities on campus including games, sports courts, swimming pool, nature trail, etc.
    - Frequent on-campus and off-campus company-sponsored events
    - Comfortable work environment with an easy commute

Some of the intangibles:
    - Lots of room for career growth, with advancement directly in your control. Promotions are directly correlated with performance and contributions to the team
    - Work is challenging, interesting, and rewarding, even to a point in which it is fun for me. I enjoy tackling new and different opportunities and I get to surround myself with these on a daily basis
    - Motivating colleagues which promote team work and innovation
    - Exposure to technologies and business networks not typically available to similar position at other companies

Cons

I’ve been with the company for several years now, and the atmosphere, my colleagues, and the type of work I’m involved with suits my personal and professional needs perfectly. As another post suggests, talent and work ethic will take you a long way at Futurex. With that said, Futurex is not for everyone, although not particularly a con for me, I can see that this would be a con for individuals who are looking to put in a less exciting 8 to 5. Futurex fosters and rewards individuals who seek to raise the bar. This may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but for me it’s a tailored fit. Sometimes the size of a particular project may seem daunting, but I would rather be challenged and have the opportunities to apply my knowledge instead of being bored.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead by example. I'm encouraged each day I come into the office when I see my managers and colleagues exude the same excitement and share the same passion which I have for the growth of our company. I did say that correctly – OUR COMPANY. There’s not many organizations out there which you can genuinely claim that you feel like a vital part of a collective effort and you have the ability to call it your own. Each person has a distinct role, and that role has tremendous impact on the positive direction we’re heading. I trust our leadership because not only are they upfront, open, honest, and readily available to hear any of my input, I also know they have my best interest in mind as an individual and not just as an employee alone.

2. "Proud to be part of a 9-time "Best Place to Work"!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bulverde, TX

I have been working at Futurex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Futurex was just named one of San Antonio's "Best Places to Work" for the 9th consecutive year... is there anything more that needs to be said?

The people at Futurex are some of the most intelligent I've ever had the privilege of working with, and every day brings a new challenge. The work itself is meaningful too: how many people can say they work every day on hardened cryptographic technology?

Cons

I know this is just an echoing of what other reviewers have said in the past, but Futurex is different from most other companies. That can be difficult for new people who come on board and are used to a rigid corporate environment without flexibility. At the other end of the spectrum, anyone looking for a leisurely work experience will be disappointed... we like things fast-paced here!

Advice to Management

Keep up the fast-paced environment, it's what makes life interesting!

"Nothing positive to say"

I worked at Futurex full-time

Pros

"You must enter at least 5 words for Pros." K.

Cons

This company only cares about their perception and reputation, but instead of fixing it by changing their culture, improving leadership, or listening to feedback, they try to manage it by being overbearing, political, firing employees willy-nilly, and placing fake reviews up on Glassdoor.

Management is awful, but at least it's one layer of buffer between the CEO, who must have studied entrepreneurship at the cartoon villain school for evil oil tycoons shutting down orphanages and lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills.

The work itself is pointless. Too much turnover has left the code base unorganized, unscalable, and full of half-finished projects. People are too scared and paranoid of sticking their necks out to take any initiative.

Nothing positive to say.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter, they won't listen.

"Nostalgic"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bulverde, TX

I worked at Futurex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Under the fearless leadership of the company's CTO, Chris Hamlett (aka The Hamster), and captained by more than one talented and hard working tech lead headquartered in the mountainous hill country of Bulverde, Futurex has grown to incredible heights over the past ten years. I feel fortunate to have been a part of the company's success while I worked there.

While some companies are more fluff than stuff, Futurex was a very enjoyable company to work for with a relaxed family atmosphere. That's not to say there weren't long nights of writing and debugging code to meet deadlines, but I always felt my hard work and dedication was recognized and rewarded. If you start here and are not passionate about your job or you are unwilling to pick up new technologies and learn a lot as you go, you will stand out and find it difficult to get ahead.

Cons

Orientation for new hires lacks breadth and depth.

Office thermostats lack safeguards against tampering.

Advice to Management

Revamp your orientation process.

Make financial statements for income, cash flow, financial position, and changes in equity accessible to employees.

"Enjoyable while it lasted."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bulverde, TX

I worked at Futurex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* There is an open-door policy in place where you can talk to your supervisor about pretty much anything that concerns you. The leadership tries very hard to improve, you just need to state the problem as clearly as possible and try to suggest solutions, don't just moan and complain.
    * If there is a work-related skill you can improve on, there are a lot of books they have for you to read and learn from. To be honest, sometimes I feel like I learned more in my 3 years at Futurex than I did studying CS back in college.
    * They were very understanding about time-off requests. Not a single one of mine got denied for any reason.
    * They called Malik's Philly's Phamous Food Truck in sometimes for special occasions and served you the equivalent of ambrosia in sandwhich form. For free.
    * Engineering is very close-knit. They will make you laugh, teach you, motivate you, challenge you, tell you your code is bad when it's bad, help you fix your stuff when you accidentally obliterate a week's work, and overall make you a better person. They will celebrate you coming in, and eat with you one last time as you go out. Thank you guys, two thumbs up. d('-' d)

Cons

* The public faces of the company tend to... "over-hype" things. It's very common for them to talk about having lots of rapid growth and momentum going forward, however I have heard nothing in regards to revenue loss until I was one of the 25% or so people that recently got laid off. I recall asking my tech lead during my performance review what I could improve on. He recommended research into machine learning. He didn't mention anything about me being a potential candidate for a layoff. That would've been nice to know, but I suppose 1 month might be asking a bit too much time in advance. And he did have basically the biggest team of people under him at the time.
    * The building I was in was one of those ModSpace buildings. Each time it rained, leaks popped up everywhere, but the caretaker has been busy trying to address them as of late. The bathrooms would likely probably make a former germophobe cringe, but their condition could be attributed to the fact that there were like 20 people sharing two bathrooms in one building. Still usable, but they get dirty quick. In addition, there was some THING living underneath my cubicle that made audible scratching and noises on occasion. Often enough to disturb me from my work. If you ask the apps guys about "Chuck", they'll have more details. From what I hear, the engineering department may soon be moving to a new building while the old one is "dealt with", so these complaints may be rather pointless in the near future.
    * Some of the amenities are kind of overrated. I've never seen anyone in the Texas-shaped swimming pool. We have a tennis court, but I haven't seen anyone use that either. The basketball court got use sometimes, but I guess that might be because it's closer to our building and newer. The cabin is a nice little hangout, but pretty much the only time anyone could really enjoy anything in the cabin was during lunch (wherein you'd only have 15-20 minutes depending where/how fast you eat) or after work when everyone had more entertaining things to do at home anyway. A lot of engineers just wound up in the conference room of the apps building after lunch, just talking. I wonder if they'd congregate around a game of Mariokart 64 in the cabin like I had in the suggestion box a while back....

Advice to Management

* If an individual is not doing well, please say what they need to change as soon as possible and make them aware of the consequences if they do not. Similarly, highlight the state of the company and minimize the amount of the workforce lost during a layoff. 25% is kinda horrifying, and I have a hard time believing things just started royally tanking in the last month given the combined positive attitude and efforts of the leadership.
    * I remember 75% of the mission statement: "To create the best-in-class software that exceeds customer expectations and maximizes revenue". I'd advise making the whole thing less of a mouthful.
    * I think I might have forgotten to put down the password for my laptop. It should be just the letters that you concatenate onto the short one to get the longer one.
    * Don't take this review too harshly. Most issues here have been mentioned before, and the ones that haven't have only arisen as a result of my departure.

"Futurex - Bulverde, TX"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bulverde, TX

I have been working at Futurex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company focuses hard on technology and security. I understand how I fit into the CEO's long term vision for the company. Good benefits and vacation. Management seems to really care about us. None of the politics you see at most companies. Lots of opportunity to learn and apply new skills.

Cons

People who don't do well in a fast paced environment won't enjoy working here as much. Other than that there are little to no cons.

Advice to Management

Thank you for leading by example and listening to our ideas. Keep taking time to teach us new things. This is a great place to work.

"It feels like I'm part of a family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bulverde, TX

I have been working at Futurex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Futurex is more than just a group of coworkers, it's like a family. We all have individual strengths to bring to the team, we can talk about issues freely and honestly without hesitation, and everyone is focused on the good of the whole company instead of just their personal gain. It makes work more demanding when you're as invested as most people here are, since you know you're letting down your team if you aren't giving your best effort, but that's also the most rewarding part.

Cons

It isn't always easy to explain what I do to people who aren't part of the industry. Doctor, lawyer, banker, enterprise cryptographic architecture designer? But that's alright, since the technology I work on is protecting them whether they know it or not!

Advice to Management

One of my favorite parts about our management team is that they try to inspire us for long-term goals in addition to succeeding at the day-to-day efforts that keep the business successfully running and growing. I love the concept of the "billion dollar vision" and I know we'll get there soon.

"The train to be on!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bulverde, TX

I have been working at Futurex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Today our CEO, Brett Smith, shared his vision and insight to recent Futurex business decisions to our entire team. He was articulate and brilliant when it came to sharing the "why" behind some business decisions that typically only top CEO's in the country are privy to. He opened the floor for any employee to ask any hard hitting questions. He is a visionary leader with integrity that is direct and honest. I trust these business decisions are to make our company stronger, because now I know the why. Thank you to Mr. Smith for putting himself in a humble position and making this train the one to be on!

Cons

Not a con, but be prepared to work smart when you become a member of this exclusive team.

Advice to Management

Communication is the key to success. Continue to educate and involve the team to build a stronger cohesive company.

"Great Company, Great Opportunity"

I have been working at Futurex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In writing this post, the first thing that comes to mind is the opportunity that I have here at Futurex. Futurex has an entrepreneurial culture and embraces employees that demonstrate talent coupled with a strong work ethic. If you have those characteristics, you will love being a part of a high-flying team. It is challenging, but mostly in the kind of way that inspires you to come to work every day because you know it won’t be boring and you will learn more today than you did yesterday. For me, I really enjoy that. And, unlike big corporations, your voice will be heard. Management has an open door policy and you can effect change directly by conveying new ideas and/or implementing “out of the box” concepts. It is satisfying to say the least.

Additionally, the company pays for 100% of my insurance premiums which provides great coverage in a good network and with low deductibles. The matching IRA contributions isn’t a bad perk either. I’m not sure if I prefer that or the free gym membership!

Cons

While having a campus in the hill country can provide a beautiful scenery, it does entail a short commute to/from work. At least, for the most part, it is going against traffic. Also, you may work past 5:30pm somedays. But I don’t think your hours are dictated by the company. Rather, if you are like me, it is because you are passionate about what you are working on and you simply aren’t done for the day. I think it’s a reality for any successful employee in the workforce. And finally, my BIGGEST complaint is that they have a food truck that comes out fairly frequently and serves philly cheesesteaks (which I’m told are delicious); however, they are dripping in cheese and it doesn’t fit my diet and that is annoying.

Advice to Management

Management, keep promoting your employees and recognizing their accomplishments. I feel like I'm contributing to the success of Futurex everyday and it provides great job satisfaction for me.

"My Experience with Futurex"

I have been working at Futurex (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working with Futurex for several years now and would like to share my thoughts and experience here. This review is not so much of a formal write up but rather me speaking on how I feel about the company as if I am talking directly to each of you in person.

Futurex is a fast paced company that has seen major growth and opportunity worldwide in recent years. The people who work here at Futurex are definitely great people who I can call friends and even family. We are a close group and really do enjoy coming into work. This is not a work environment that I dread coming in to on a daily basis. The work and the technology are definitely challenging and will test your skills and knowledge.

There have been a lot of reviews about management and the direction of the company. I personally feel good about the leaders and management of the company. They recognize that continual improvement can be achieved in their people. Being able to lead their teams through change, rather than manage them through it has infinite rewards. I see every day how the management teams are continuously pushing themselves and working hard. They have a passion for what they do and it shows in the continued success of the company. They are not just telling their people to do this or that, but rather leading by example.

Futurex pays their employees well and has always provided many perks for our hard work. They often bring food trucks to campus and have company sponsored activities after work. They let us leave early before holidays and provide a pretty cool working environment. There are those that have said that they are not allowed to use the amenities that are available to the employees. I am here to say that is incorrect. There have been many times that myself and others have taken advantage of the tennis courts, basketball courts, putting green, fooseball table, and cabin area where there are video games and arcade games for us to use. I think there are a lot of folks that have watched too many movies and want to come to work at an amusement park before they are happy. Futurex has provided a great environment for us all to work hard and have the tools we need to build the rapport with each other and have a good time while we work hard.

The opportunities are definitely there for every individual to be very successful in their career here at Futurex. We all have the opportunity to learn and grow in our careers and as individuals. I can say that I feel this is a great place to work.

Cons

I would say that I personally do not have much to say in the Con section. I mean, this is a place of business and everything that we need to be successful has been provided. In a world of Google and Apple, I think people lose sight of where they are going on a day to day basis, especially in the tech world. People are expecting to come to a playground where they can sleep in pods and work half the time. If you are not ready to come to work and put forth the effort to learn and work hard to be successful in a fast paced environment, then this may not be the place for you. If you feel like wearing multiple hats on a daily basis is not your cup of tea, then this may not be the place for you. Futurex is a challenging but fun environment with great people leading the way. Working hard to help improve the company as a whole is a must and some may feel that they are not up for the challenge. Those who are, definitely have a rewarding career here at Futurex.

Advice to Management

I would say that just as you advise all of the people you lead on a daily basis...Keep working hard to become the best managers, leaders, and individuals you can be. You all do a good job of leading by example and paving the way for a better future for all of those who work at Futurex. Again, not trying to sound cliché or anything, but you all do a good job and really know your stuff. There are definitely a lot of smart men and women here that, no matter what your career path is, you can learn a lot from.