GL Advisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Idea, Poor Execution"

Pros

Intelligent, motivated team of professionals and the company service was a wonderful idea.

Cons

leadership, one leader in particular, was bombastic, often unavailable, and flat out lied to employees. he's headed to jail now.

2. "Client Advisor"

I worked at GL Advisor full-time

Pros

Work life balance, Foosball, gym

Cons

Management, lack of leadership, ponzi scheme

3. "Well it's finally gone."

I worked at GL Advisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people that did their best before the CEO ran them off.

Cons

Another review said it best; google the CEO Daniel Thibeault.

"There are times when all things considered it is better to be unemployed."

Former Employee - Executive in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Executive in Waltham, MA

I worked at GL Advisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GL has some great people that give 110 per cent all the time. They are no longer in Waltham but are in another space in Boston which is better than

Cons

The head of GL is Daniel Thibeault. Google him and make your own decisions. The company lacks any real management.

"Toxic culture/bankrupt management"

Former Employee - Advisor in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Advisor in Waltham, MA

I worked at GL Advisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Creative approach to investing. Low cost offerings for investors and doctors. Hard working Filipino team willing to put up with insanity and do anything they can to help customers.

Cons

Horrible culture. Clients and employees are afterthoughts (at best). CEO is a parody of all that is bad about CEOs - focused on money, must always be right, bombastic when challenged or even questioned, false promises and wide spread pay cuts, bends the truth to suit his needs, treats people as disposable, expects everyone else to have zero home life and literally sleep in the office, absolutely no idea how to successfully implement any of his "brilliant" ideas. And the rest of the leadership team is either unwilling or unable to check him so he runs amok and dominates the entire landscape. The sales leadership are the worst kind of yes men. There is no CFO, so who knows what is happening with the finances. If it weren't so sad it would be comical.

Advice to Management

Where to begin . . . the company desperately needs competent, professional management (no phone throwing or 2-year old temper tantrums!). Cut dead weight. It is obvious who can sell and add value and who can't on the leadership team. Until the company cares about its clients/customers and employees it will continue to hemorrhage money and talent. Perhaps just fire everybody and start a hedge fund where you don't have to actually interact with people?

6. "Overworked, Underpaid, Underappreciated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at GL Advisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The awesome people that I had the pleasure of meeting & continue to stay in touch with. They made it worth it everyday.

Cons

Completely broken processes & procedures. Too much work, not enough people & expectations of those working way too high.

7. "Worked for GL a little less then a year."

Former Employee - Lender Relations in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Lender Relations in Waltham, MA

I worked at GL Advisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team funny helpful people, start-up feel so it was fun, actually had money to pay bills, got experience with other software and skills I can now put on my resume.

Cons

1. CEO is TERRIBLE! Constantly and openly LIED to employees about not being laid off and in the next 2 months hired some "consultant" who fired almost the entire floor. And he is STILL telling others the same lie and fired another batch after I left. On top of that he didn't even have the audacity or integrity to give us the termination papers himself!
    2. He moved the operations part of our company to Manila in the Phillipines and they know NOTHING about American Student loan industry. He admitted this himself during the "all hands" meetings
    3. Every good idea that was sent to mgmt was "thoughtfully listened to" but completely ignored
    4. The COO's solution to the CEO complaining was to increase our workload and give us no resources or man power.

Advice to Management

Why bother? They won't take it anyways and they're on their way to a failing business. Let's just sit back and watch the ship burn.

"Terrible company"

Former Employee - Client Advisor in Waltham, MA

I worked at GL Advisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am unable to think of a single positive thing to write about thus company. It was the finest, most dedicated team I have ever worked with and it was dismantled by the CEO's greed.

Cons

CEO & CFO are unscrupulous
    Entire operation moved to Philippines
    Lied to staff and clients about the future of the company
    Cheated people out of pay and or dues

9. "Fun but disorganized"

Former Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA

I worked at GL Advisor full-time

Pros

They have creative financial products and continue to bring new innovations to the investment and student loan industries. The company has young leadership which creates a fun and dynamic culture.

Cons

The creative ideas are never implemented. The process for poor execution infiltrates the company's culture and creates a "great idea but it will never get done" mindset.

Advice to Management

They need to improve their processes and operations. Execution on projects and ideas should be a top priority.

"Sad."

I worked at GL Advisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers. Opportunity to work with employees in the Philippines.

Cons

Managers/Execs are lost. They are currently outsourcing the positions to the Philippines where inadequate training has been provided. While I'm sad to be removed from their equation, it's also a huge relief to be away from the toxic environment (constantly lied to and fear of being laid off).

Advice to Management

Good luck.