Generac Power Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Generac Power Systems CEO Aaron Jagdfeld
Aaron Jagdfeld

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance" is all work, no life" (in 20 reviews)

• "Upper Management just doesn't care about it's people" (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"CRM COE- Process Lead"

Former Employee - CRM COE- Functional Lead In SAP CRM in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - CRM COE- Functional Lead In SAP CRM in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great compensation, challenging work, hard working people. Enjoyed working at Generac for almost 10 years. Upper management has a great vision of moving the company forward.

Cons

Priorities change frequently at Generac. This can be a negative when not planned appropriately. Balance needed between demand and available resources.

Advice to Management

Balance demand with resources.

"Solid company, changing quickly, great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an organization which has changed rapidly in the past 5 years. Offers strong benefit package and truly cares about the opinions of its employees. Strong ties to the community, encourages volunteering and gives away hundreds of thousands of dollars annually.

Cons

Some tenured employees are having difficulty adjusting to changes in the business.

Advice to Management

Keep on investing in technology, it will support your strategy and pace.

"Make sure you are passionate about this business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a growing company taht I believe will have a promising future if you’re passionate about the overall products that were being offered to consumers. The story of how Generac was started was interesting. Good benefits offered and a wide range of departments here. Cafeteria on site was a plus. Some of my coworkers were absolutely amazing to work with and very helpful.

Cons

The main reasons why I left were I could count of one hand how many other African American employees there were at any given time out of around 300+ employees so that made me feel that they thought AA’s are inadequate?? Also, training was absolutely unstructured. My trainer himself though always seemed under pressure but I think he did well given the tools and experience he had. Another manager was okay but I can tell she had the personality of entitlement and definitely micromanaged. I’ve seen someone get treated extremely unfairly and not equal to their peers on multiple occasions and it ignited a fire inside of me. Extremely gossipy coworkers were very annoying, I felt I couldn’t go to HR because I felt information would not be kept confidential so ultimately I made the decision that this was not where I planned on retiring from. I also had a bad experience with someone in the Payroll, extremely rude because I had a question about accessing an account.

Advice to Management

I wasn’t here long enough to give advice on what would make this a better decision for your future/current employees. From my experience, diversify more and provide structured training so that someone that is completely new to the industry knows what their doing when it’s time to actually get out there.

"Customers Do Not Come First"

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

Get to work with a lot of great people.

Cons

They watch your every move, going to the bathroom and what you're working on.

Advice to Management

Stop being helicopter leads

"Office professional"

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours, decent benefits. I learn a lot and enjoy the work. All things accounted for (including the cons below), it's as good as 80% of the companies out there. Sure they have issues, but one cannot forget that the next company is just going to have their own dysfunctions that will make you want to rip out your hair.

Cons

Company is still going through scaling pains. Problem is, they lack the people to quickly and effectively integrate the companies they purchase. And they keep buying more companies. Such companies are doomed to years, instead of months, of integration.

In my outlying subsidiary, old issues persist and new ones exist. Terrible overall prior analysis and planning of projects. Where a project is run by a PMP, things run smoothly. But oversights of design bog things down constantly. And being as the people running the projects and engineering the units have little or no understanding of the units they're trying to build, things rarely go smoothly.

As an organization, there is not a culture of anticipation. Not just at my location, but in Waukesha. The corporate method is to be totally reactive. It's like anticipation is taboo. Speaking frankly is certainly frowned upon, at the corporate level. All the above is the company's detriment.

In addition, they function as a consolidator. Cutting jobs and combining functions is their mode of operation. Make no mistake, this is a shareholder-focused enterprise, all the way.

It feels old-fashioned, overall.

Finally, I don't think they're built to retain career-minded people. They seem to prefer youngsters, and among those, none are MIT or MSOE graduates, to my knowledge. The theme here is they're focused on getting the cheapest talent they can. Nothing against the bright, talented engineers we have! I'm just sayin' - figure it out. The only money is in management. For the rest of us, we're required to acknowledge this is a stepping stone company. You'll never max your personal income potential at Generac, unless you get a shiny title. But you just might - it's a revolving door in the Shiny Titles Store.

Advice to Management

Focus on prior analysis. Get obsessed with details. Train the young talent to do things completely and correctly. Challenge people. Make managers of people who know what good business looks like. It will pay off in the long run.

6. "HR Intern"

I worked at Generac Power Systems part-time

Pros

Lots of growth and learning opportunities. Great management, willing to help at any time.

Cons

Some miscommunication between branches, nothing major.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Inside Sales"

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

It's a job. The cafeteria is nice.

Cons

No incentive. No benefits. Be ready for a warm welcome and a harsh work enviroment. Management makes working there non-enjoyable. No room for moving up in the company. Whatever position you apply for be ready to stay in that position for a very long time.

Advice to Management

Management needs to learn how to incentivize your employees. Not one person there had anything positive to say about management.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing I can tell.

Cons

Not a good place if you are EE. You would waste your knowledge because of working with uneducated managers. Inorganaized. Low pay. High turn over. Please either leave or get laid over. They don’t care about talents. You would only get 10 days of vacation.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging people. You make everyone miserable. Stop pretending that you know anything about what you do.

"Welding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

Good starting Pay for welders

Cons

bad blueprints, don't receive parts on time, receive wrong parts at times

Advice to Management

fix blueprints and do a better job with material handling

"Poor Middle Management"

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

Nice facility
    Nice benefits, pay is a little low
    Friends,

Cons

Middle Management is ruining the company. They are too young and inexperienced. They do not know how to interact and read their employees. Middle management is bringing in talent according to their personal preference, not what the company needs. They are overlooking good, potential employees. High turnaround continues and I am watching great people get the ax or leave voluntarily. The line is blurred between right and wrong. Lastly, put an end to the poor dress code. This isn't a bar, beach or a slumber party.

Advice to Management

Hire top notch management, clean out the entire middle management tier.