Gillware Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "The dream"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, WI

I have been working at Gillware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clear, consise business model and mission. It is easy to know where your company stands in the public's eye and they have a great reputation for a reason.

Cons

With so many crazy schedules, and hiring practices it was hard to know where I was going or what I was long term working for.

Advice to Management

You care about employees and customers. This is vital. Keep up the good work

2. "Great Company, Smart People"

I worked at Gillware full-time

Pros

Gillware is a really neat place to work with some awesome perks. They're flexible as it pertains to taking time off, work/life balance was great (at least in my role), and free lunches every Friday are pretty great too. There are also some absolutely brilliant people working there, figure out who they are and try to learn from them.

The technology they work with is also fascinating and it was exciting to learn how such complex machinery works. Most people don't really understand how data storage works.

Cons

Data recovery is an intensely customer-focused industry. People are often very passionate about getting their data back and you need to a.) be willing to go the extra mile sometimes for the customer and most importantly, b.) don't take it personally when a customer or other employee gets upset with you. The passion that sometimes causes people to get upset in this business is the same passion that makes recovering someone's treasured family pictures feel that much more rewarding. Heck, on the digital forensics side they've even helped put murderers away. Very cool.

Also as others have stated, you need to be driven. Everyone is already busy trying to do their own jobs so if you want to succeed, come with a good work ethic and a propensity for learning. Worked for me, but it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Nip problem employees in the bud before they become bigger problems.

3. "Part-Time Data Recovery Intern"

I worked at Gillware part-time

Pros

There are a lot of great personalities to work with. You get a nice mix of college grads and former military veterans. There's a good vibe of getting work done without any stress of micro-managing or someone hovering over you. It is expected that you know your role and perform it well. There's a keg in the breakroom with free lunch on Fridays which is a great show of appreciation.

The bosses doors are almost always open and they seem willing to take employee concerns and feedback into mind.

They have some great ideas for prospective growth. Gillware Forensics will be an interesting venture for new employees coming in and those already there. It's lead by one of the industry's best computer forensics experts.

They're still transitioning from a small to medium business which I believe fits nice for those looking for work-life balance.

Some customers are absolute characters and enjoyable. You'll get people ranging from grandma to lawyers and aspiring musical artists. Their backgrounds can make for interesting stories.

Cons

There is a lot of information very quickly for those who have not jumped into data storage and filesystem structures. Training materials are below average compared to other companies I've worked with. Training must be accomplished on-site for proprietary software which limits effectiveness. Could be a benefit for those who do not enjoy having to bring work home.

The performance metrics were in their beginning stage when I was there. There is a great start, but I believe there is room for the metrics to be fine-tuned if they have not been already.

Be prepared to have patience if you deal directly with any customers. Data loss can be very emotional for some individuals so there will occasionally be upset people, it's best to realize their frustrations are not personal but fragmented and sometimes in pieces. Bad pun, I know.

Gillware is a small business making its way into a medium business, funds are limited and some of the hardware was due for upgrades.

Advice to Management

Revamp the training program when time/resources allow. The resources invested into it will likely pay off as Gillware continues to grow and employ more individuals that do not have extensive data storage knowledge. Fine-tune the metrics and consider hardware upgrades in the near future.

4. "Software Developer"

I worked at Gillware full-time

Pros

Great co-workers with friendly vibe. Good chance to be exposed to both front and back-ends. You can pace yourself on your tasks.

Cons

"Pacing yourself on your tasks." is not always a pro. Some people need somewhat definite deadlines, and I think a solid timeline for agile process is needed.

Advice to Management

I feel like it would be more efficient and profitable if they hire project managers.

5. "Software Engineering Coop"

I worked at Gillware full-time

Pros

Super fun people to work with, and relaxed environment. Decent selection of projects, especially if you like lower end development.

Cons

Not really many negatives, it is pretty self driven but you will have good support. The projects are not exactly ground breaking, and not incredibly challenging. (However, like I said there are some great opportunities for challenging low-level development)

6. "Great Oppprtunities"

Current Employee - Engineer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Gillware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gillware is a great company to work at. If you prove yourself and have great work ethic you will move up the chain. If you don't you won't. It's all up to you. The intelligence level here is insane and if you put your heart and mind into it and listen to what you are being taught, you will learn so many different skill sets. I can't say enough good things about this company. When you help with a criminal investigation or just get someone their irreplaceable pictures back it is very rewarding.

Cons

Gillware is a very demanding company as we have customers that are desperate to get their critical files back. When in need you have to be willing to go the extra mile to get the customers files back in a timely fashion.

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Lab Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Lab Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Gillware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in and great people to work with. Management lets you do your job but is always there to answer questions. Great perks, like free lunch on Fridays and a casual dress code. Each employee is responsible for advancing their career, so you sort of control your own destiny!

Cons

The environment can be a bit fast-paced and hectic at times.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and thanks for your encouragement and trust.

8. "An insiders view on Gillware Data Recovery"

Current Employee - Data Recovery Engineer I in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Data Recovery Engineer I in Madison, WI

I have been working at Gillware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed and mostly fun atmosphere, privately owned, constantly learning new things, job specific training programs encourages multi-tasking, free lunch Fridays, awesome Christmas party, good benefits and pay. I personally have never been motivated by money, and for the last 6 years this job has always been more about trying to help people than about squeezing as much money as possible from them. I look forward to coming to work everyday and laugh with co-workers daily. Being family owned gives the company a different feel. There are no big uptight bosses to kiss up to who believe they know it all. There is a definite give and take in the ability to give suggestions and actually having them seriously considered. And if valid enough acted upon. As a smaller company we still have the flexibility to take more chances if they make sense. A bigger company or corporation would have to be more conservative and most likely be bogged down in endless meetings and committees just to consider making any changes to their processes. It has been a great place for me personally because of the various outside businesses I own and/or work for. Gillware gives me not only the flexibility to pursue my outside interest, but the CEO has encouraged and offered suggestions to help me be successful outside of Gillware. I have worked several jobs over many years, however this has been my most favorite (outside that of being a Marine).

Cons

Not really a con but - you have to be on your game, you do have to keep up with a sometimes quickly changing work tempo. You can't be dead-weight and expect to do well here. The jobs here are not for everyone. Customer service, sales, receiving, programming, IT support, marketing, engineering- (including logical processing, imagining and extraction) teams are constantly pushed to improve processes, productivity and enhanced customer experience (regardless of the recovery outcome)

Advice to Management

Having served in the United States Marine Corps for 11 years I have never needed any - "good jobs" , slaps on the back or any other type of kudos for doing a job I chose to accept. Being praised for just showing up, at least in my book cheapens the praise for both giver and receiver. Our leaders/bosses here at Gillware dole out praise/monetary compensation for exemplary performance above and beyond "good enough". So my advice would be to not lower standards but keep pushing us all to be better. Better individuals, better company and better customer experience.

"Enjoyed every minute"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Madison, WI

Pros

From day one, everyone in the office was welcoming and supportive. I enjoyed the people I worked with and the Exec team was always accessible and willing to help/answer questions. At Gillware you are never micromanaged and are trusted to get your job done. I was able to develop and perfect my recruiting skill on my own, which will definitely help me be successful moving forward. I cannot say enough good things about this company and am grateful to have worked at Gillware for the past year.

Cons

People who are successful at Gillware are self-motivated and hungry to learn. You must be able to hit the ground running and ask questions when you don’t understand or need clarification.

10. "Marketing Intern"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Madison, WI

I worked at Gillware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was overall satisfied with my internship. All of the workers, including the CEO and President are very friendly. It is a very open and laid-back office. People often bring in food, partake in happy hour, and attend company parties. Everyone is very helpful and friendly if you have questions.

Cons

There is very high turnover at this company. I was only there for a summer internship, and I saw multiple people quit/get fired. There is also little training so you must be ready to attack your job the first day.

Advice to Management

The company could use a project manager, as deadlines would often not be met or projects would lack direction or clarity.