KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Ginger Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2022

Found 97 of over 105 reviews

3.8
Ginger CEO Russell Glass (no image)
Russell Glass

The latest conversations about Healthcare

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Sometimes things can get disorganized though management always seems to own this and do their best.(in 7 reviews)
  • "The very low pay for being a coach and for the workload of cases.(in 7 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

great place

Jun 16, 2022 - Therapist
    Business Outlook

Pros

supportive management, open to ideas and feedback, great benefits package

Cons

Haven't found one. It's great.

2. 4.0

Growing Pains

Jul 26, 2022 - Behavioral Health Coach in Santa Monica, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, good pay and benefits, doing good work in the world

Cons

Recent merger with Headspace has resulted in a much bigger company, has lost it's "family" feel, management has become robotic and aloof

3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Unrealistic expectations & management doesn't listen

Jul 26, 2022 - Health Coach in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

health insurance and unlimited PTO

Cons

--Management doesn't listen, especially the CEO. He often looks tired and agitated in meetings, talking in circles often --Coaches are expected to chat with 3+ people at the same time. --We are coaches, and expected to work as therapists (without the degrees or experience). --Coaches are expected to act like they're crisis/addiction counselors

Communications Manager

Thank you very much for your feedback, we're sorry to hear about your frustrations. We regularly monitor coach volume, and have rolled out many different initiatives to ensure we are accurately understanding demand patterns and staffing appropriately. If you believe your load is higher than it should be, please talk directly with your manager or other member of Coaching Leadership. We also want to be sure we are being clear in communicating what the coaching role at Headspace Health entails. It’s important to us that you - and all of our coaches! - have the training and support needed. Gathering information about risk is part of a coach's job duty. Across the mental health industry, it is common for folks of all degree levels to be involved in risk management. For example, the largest hotlines and crisis services frequently use volunteers, who are highly trained, regardless of degree or background experience, in addition to licensed clinical staff. The roles of each are clear, as is the case on our system. We regularly train all coaches on how to use our highly structured protocols to gather information about suicidal ideation, and have Coach Managers and licensed Clinicians on call at all times to support with this process. Additionally, coaches participate in weekly process groups and have the opportunity to join ongoing consultation groups with clinicians. These venues are designed to enable coaches to consult on member situations and get feedback from colleagues and managers. If you feel that a member is not a good fit for coaching, or for Ginger, please share that in one of these forums, during your 1:1 with your manager, or fill out a case review form, so that clinical leadership can discuss the member at Rounds. We are dedicated to ensuring that all of our care team members have regular opportunities for consultation, and that they are able to stay within their scope of competence. If you feel this is not happening, please raise with your manager or another member of care leadership.

4. 3.0
    Current Employee

Before you consider coaching here, search the reviews first

Feb 24, 2022 - Health Coach
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wellness benefits Unlimited PTO Caring and compassionate coaches

Cons

Coaches are disregarded and unheard. We keep telling management what we need and they do the opposite. Example: (1)we need a cap on how many members we talk to. We are still not capped and often times stuck with talking to 5 ppl at a time with some high risk (2) recently we were broken in pods of 10-11 other coaches. That is the main group for us to now communicate because management believes it was better to split us all up vs allow us access to all of the coaches as before. This is absolutely ridiculous. (3) Our pay is extremely low for the work we do. They keep quoting industry standard and not considering the cost of living. (4) We are burnt out and burning out. Weekly coaches are resigning, going part time or relief. Mgmt doesn’t seem to care because they’ll just hire a replacement. We love what we do and yet mgmt decisions are driving major compassion fatigue in all of us.

17 people found this review helpful

Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry to hear all of the concerns you’ve outlined, and in particular, your comments on listening and empathy. This is critical to our success as an organization, in alignment with our value of cultivating compassion. We recently fielded a comprehensive survey of our coaches to understand key pain points and come up with solutions. In addition, we solicit feedback from coaches through meetings and 1:1s on a weekly basis. We’ve heard tremendously helpful ideas from coaches, and are working to implement many of these now. One of the changes we’re making involves moving to a new system of pods, to create more consistency when it comes to management and supervision, to improve our approach to training, as well as to create a greater sense of cohesion among coaches. This change, like all changes, will include some bumps in the road, as we work to improve everything from our meeting schedule to our communication tools. We appreciate that change can be difficult, and we want to partner with you, and all of our coaches, to ensure that we learn together over time. Regarding coaching volume, this is a top priority for our business operations team and our leadership, to ensure that we have a durable and sustainable model moving forward. We are in the midst of rolling out many different initiatives to ensure we are accurately understanding demand patterns and staffing appropriately. These include building in a hard cap on the number of consultations coaches do within a period of time, as well as considering other ways to allow coaches to have more predictability in their workday. If you believe your load is higher than it should be, please talk directly with your manager or other member of Coaching Leadership. Our goal is to ensure that we have good visibility into the day-to-day experience of coaches, but our data, like all data, may not always reflect a coach's unique or complete experience. For this reason, we partner closely with coaches to ensure we can identify specific and targeted fixes, as needed. In terms of compensation, we partner with external consultants to get up-to-date market data, which is key for us in making determinations about pay--for coaches as well as other staff. The virtual care market changes quickly, so we regularly evaluate our compensation package to ensure that it is competitive. Recent improvements include an increase in our 401k match, as well as a generous wellness stipend. We would love to be able to discuss your feedback further, and encourage you to reach out to your manager or another member of our Care leadership team. In the meantime, if you haven't already, we highly encourage you to complete the survey we sent to all coaches a few weeks ago (week of Jan. 31), so that we can understand the causes of stress that are most impactful for you. A major focus right now is gathering more accurate data about coach experience, given that there is so much variability, and we hear positive feedback on a regular basis. This survey will enable us to have a deep and nuanced understanding of the coach experience, including yours. So far we’ve had an excellent response rate to the survey, which will close soon. If you haven’t yet completed it, please do. Thank you again for your feedback.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Wildly inefficient with little communication, but wrapped with a pretty bow

Jun 15, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is extremely positive and helpful Full-Time work from home Unlimited sick days/time off Business will continue to boom with current world events, and it feels good to be able to help

Cons

Positivity often seems forced and bordering toxic. Issues are not fully addressed due to positive spins Poor interdepartmental communication Every department is severely understaffed

8 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

Jun 9, 2022 - Health Coach Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture. Supportive employees and management.

Cons

There are none so far

7. 5.0

Great Company, Terrible Coach Schedules

Feb 22, 2022 - Behavioral Health Coach
    Business Outlook

Pros

The perks are wonderful and the salaries are better than most places. PTO is unlimited and people actually do care about you and your health and welfare. Everyone also cares about the clients (called members), which creates a wonderful and cooperative atmosphere. The teams also tend to be playful though very helpful and serious about their work. Everyone at Ginger cares about mental health and each other. This is a passionate company that you can be proud to work for.

Cons

Management is not very good at planning or organization. They also talk at us rather than truly listen to us when when tell them our needs. They say they are monitoring our loads and volume, but our case loads are not getting better. They are wholly unsustainable. We are forced to schedule even 3 members at a time and then we will have members come in for help and new members come in as well, leading to us serving 5+ members at a time for hours without even a five minute break. And then one or more of these members might also have risk involved. Coaches are becoming burnt out. Management does not listen when we give them ideas for how to help us. They do not listen when we ask for trainings (or give us real training very often, though they say they do which is at best laughable) and they do seem totally tone deaf. They tell us about new things or days off like they are the greatest thing when we just see something new to stress us out. For example we were given our raises across the board and it was made to sound like it was a great and wonderful thing. It was! But I also found it highly ironic since the cost of living has gone up twice the percentage of the raise, and that’s just on average. I’m thankful for the raise, but it was tone deaf to try to make it sound like they were doing us a favor.

9 people found this review helpful

Communications Manager

Thank you very much for your feedback, we're glad to hear there are things you feel the company is doing well, yet are also truly sorry to read about your frustrations. We’re disheartened in particular to hear that you feel management isn’t listening. Our intent is to do just the opposite, and for that reason, we recently fielded a comprehensive survey to understand pain points and solicit solutions. In addition, we solicit feedback from coaches through meetings and 1:1s on a weekly basis. We’ve heard tremendously helpful ideas from coaches, and are working to implement many of these now. One of the changes we’re making involves moving to a new system of pods, to create more consistency when it comes to management and supervision, as well as to create a greater sense of cohesion among coaches. This change, like all changes, will include some bumps in the road, as we work to improve everything from our meeting schedule to our communication tools. We appreciate that change can be difficult, and we want to partner with you, and all coaches, to ensure that we learn together over time. In regards to your comment around training, with the move to our pod system, we will be working to create more targeted training sessions in smaller settings. We hope that these are a welcome addition to our brown bag lunch series, our WellnessRx sessions, monthly coach/clinician consultation groups, and twice a month coach team trainings. As you stated, we regularly monitor coach volume. Additionally, we are in the midst of rolling out many different initiatives to ensure we are accurately understanding demand patterns and staffing appropriately. These include building in a hard cap on the number of consultations coaches do within a period of time, as well as considering other ways to allow coaches to have more predictability in their workday. If you believe your load is higher than it should be, please talk directly with your manager or other member of Coaching Leadership. Our goal is to ensure that we have good visibility into the day-to-day experience of coaches, but our data, like all data, may not always reflect a coach's unique or complete experience. For this reason, we partner closely with coaches to ensure we can identify specific and targeted fixes, as needed. We would love to be able to discuss your feedback, and encourage you to reach out to your manager or another member of our Care leadership team. In the meantime, if you haven't already, we highly encourage you to complete the survey we sent to all coaches a few weeks ago (week of Jan. 31), so that we can understand the causes of stress that are most impactful for you. A major focus right now is gathering more accurate data about coach experience, given that there is so much variability, and we hear positive feedback on a regular basis. This survey will enable us to have a deep and nuanced understanding of the coach experience, including yours. So far we’ve had an excellent response rate to the survey, which will close soon. If you haven’t yet completed it, please do. Thank you again for your feedback.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Pros and some grows

May 9, 2022 - Behavioral Health Coach
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at Ginger is very supportive and it feels like they are always trying to improve.

Cons

Chatting with multiple people at a time can be very stressful and make it difficult to do quality work.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0

Meh company

Jun 27, 2022 - Coach
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong DEIB culture and benefits are good.

Cons

Pay is absolutely terrible and not a livable wage.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture

May 3, 2022 - Health Coach in Tulsa, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

The leadership is extremely supportive

Cons

Emotional burden of work takes a toll

1 person found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 97 Reviews

Ginger Reviews FAQs

Ginger has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 105 reviews left anonymously by employees. 65% of employees would recommend working at Ginger to a friend and 70% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Ginger employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Ginger. This rating has improved by 8% over the last 12 months.

65% of Ginger employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Ginger 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Ginger to be career development, senior leadership, benefits and the cons to be management, compensation.

Popular Careers with Ginger Job Seekers