Goettsch Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

"Great Place to Learn"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Goettsch Partners as an intern

Pros

Being an intern, I never felt to intimidated or out of place. I was always included in meetings and shadowed a lot of very knowledgeable people. They were able to give me responsibility and I grew the most from the start of my career here. Amazing place to grow.

Cons

A bit lacking in culture but are working to fix it!

Advice to Management

There seems to be a large power distance, so maybe know more employees or become more invested in lives outside of work.

"Studio Staff"

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Goettsch Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Software and BIM managers as well as IT and other technical support as well as administrative.
    Descent atmosphere and not too much yelling and negativity. "not too much"

Cons

The president showed great affections for Chinese employees. Partners were a bit on the sleazy side.

Advice to Management

Look towards individuals that have great talent but have been overlooked due too favoritism

"Big Firm Quality and Projects - Small Firm Structure"

I have been working at Goettsch Partners full-time

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at GP is the quality of work and staff. They continually get and produce noteworthy building in the US and abroad. The expertise and mentoring make it a good place to learn the craft of architecture.

The firm provides some of the best compensation, benefits and bonus in the field.

Cons

While the work is interesting and the motivation high, just like most world-class firms, the workload and hours can be considerable. At least they are not as strict about coming in late after working a long evening.

The mood is very serious and office culture is professional. Just like any office, there are social and non-social people. The firm realizes there is an imbalance and seems to be working to create more opportunities for social connection, with outings, design review meetings and even a weekly happy hour on Fridays to lighten the mood and encourage interaction outside project work.

Advice to Management

Continue the quality and successful management, but continue to encourage social interaction and growth among the staff. It is also important for senior level staff, meaning Partners and Principals, to make an effort to participate and interact informally with the staff. This will set the tone more than anything,

"Amazing work, depressing culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Goettsch Partners full-time

Pros

The firm wins incredible projects and the work quality is good. Design principals and partners are heavily involved in projects. Clients are very loyal. This is a good place to get your feet wet and become involved in some large high profile projects. Health benefits are good.

Cons

Displaying personality is frowned upon. The culture is cold and stiff and the office is all about the work. Leave your stories about outside activities, family and kids back at home because no one cares. They just want you to produce. This culture starts from the top.

Advice to Management

Lighten up a little. You hired humans, not machines.

"Great compensation, poor culture"

Current Employee - Intern Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Goettsch Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The compensation is absolutely great I think this is one of the better paying architecture firms in Chicago. Also, the management is great at listening to the younger talents goals for their career and helping them sculpt a career path that fits their strengths. Finally, the work environment itself is beautiful. I don't think I will work in another office with a more beautiful interior!

Cons

The work-life balance is a bit rough if you are within your first five years of your career. The firm is doing a lot of competitions internationally which means a large volume of work needs to be generated in a short amount of time. I found it difficult to have things going on outside of the office. Also, the culture I would give a 5/10. There is almost no sense of culture or connectivity between employees that isn't structured around the work. That said, the firm realizes this is going on and has lost talent because of it. I feel they are beginning to make an effort to change the culture.

Advice to Management

I think upper management sets the tone for a firm. If you are carefree and enjoying yourself it makes other feel like that is acceptable there. If not it can be very uncomfortable for employees to truly be themselves.

6. "good place nice work environment"

Pros

good place nice work environment

Cons

work hard but treated well