Gogotech Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Gogotech CEO Hassan Ragab
Hassan Ragab

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Interesting work, fun environment"

I have been working at Gogotech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company recognizes talent and helps them grow. If you are willing to work hard then this is the place you need to be.
    Management is reasonably flexible with good understanding of employee's family needs.
    Each department is interrelated. One gets to learn as there is a lot of knowledge sharing.
    Competitive salary with great employee benefits.

Cons

Its not really a con; however this company is performance driven. You have to perform to grow.

"High turnover is the new normal"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Gogotech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The location is excellent when you use the LIRR. The building is going through a renovation and exciting new food places are conveniently located downstairs for a quick lunch.

Cons

Where should one start??

Our employee and management turnover is higher than industry average.

We have allowed employees to return that left on questionable terms.

Our growth is no longer based on organic growth. Our only opportunity to grow appears to be based on acquisitions. What does that mean for those of us are handcuffed with older brands ?

Advice to Management

We need to pivot and right the ship. The recent departure of multiple employees combined with numerous job openings should be cause for concern.

3. "No Lie - Best Job I've Ever Had"

I have been working at Gogotech full-time

Pros

Opportunity to make good money.
    GREAT PEOPLE!
    Consistently improving culture.
    Growing company with room to advance.

I won't go as far to say that the negative reviews of this company and it's CEO don't have ANY merit. At the same time, the majority these were written by former employees - most of whom are categorized as "former" for good reasons. Gogotech is not a perfect company, and neither is it's CEO. But we're constantly working to improve and make it a better place to work - and that counts for something.

The best part of this job is the people. We have such a great team here - it's pretty much family. Some people don't fit in. Some don't make it. But for those that do, it is a great experience.

Cons

Nothing is handed to you at Gogotech. The expectations are very high. If you want to make more money, you have to show that you're worth it. If you want to move up, you have to make it happen. Most middle management - and even a couple execs - started out at the bottom.

If you want to slide by, put forth minimum effort and have a negative attitude, this probably isn't the place for you. You'll end up getting fired and leaving a venomous Glassdoor review. Save everyone the trouble.

"Great place to work hard and have fun"

Current Employee - Purchasing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Purchasing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Gogotech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that work here I think is the best thing about this company. Everyone has a work hard play hard attitude, we like to have fun but also understand how to work hard and make a company successful. New management has worked to make sure everyone is getting trained properly and is getting the help they need to succeed, as this was not always present in the past. We had a bad rep a few years ago but I think we have completely done a 180 into a more structured environment that has potential for growth in a growing e-commerce industry. If you are hungry and eager you can succeed here fairly quickly!

Cons

I think every company has it learning curves and we had some of that going on in the past few years which I think has given us a not so great reputation , but I can assure you that has changed. We do still need to work on structure and improve growth opportunities but it is in progress . Snacks need to improve a little and coffee may need an upgrade as well

5. "Gogotech"

I worked at Gogotech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, free coffee & snacks

Cons

not much room to grow, need some restructural changes

6. "Great place to work if you know what it means to hustle and how to make a difference."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gogotech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for nearly half a decade and like any business environment there are ups and downs, times where everything seems to work and other times where you want to pull your hair out.. I can say with certainty I enjoy being here.. I have credentials and experience that gives me plenty of choices for where I want to be career-wise, but I love the work that I do, and I want to be here. I love my role at Gogotech, and contary to other people's remarks on here, I have moved up within the company and increased my compensation accordingly.. *hint hint, go ahead and write this down* I did so in the following really easy steps:
    1. Have a never give up attitude, give consistent effort day in and day out.
    2. Take the initiative to go and really spend the time and energy needed to fully understand how to make a positive impact in my role for the company.
    3. From day one of my employment at Gogotech I set a simple goal, I planned to do everything in my power to make a name for myself so moving up is a no-brainer for management when the opportunity presents itself. I want this to be the easiest decision my superior makes that day.

Now, I actually find the past negative reviews about Gogotech to be kind of funny because the people who wrote them all had similarities with entitlement, negative attitudes, complacency, and quite frankly this company will never mesh well with those traits. I would go as far as saying the entrepreneurial environment we have here is probably a pro for some and maybe a con for others, some people need constant guidance, reassurance, and raises that auto-generate when the old annual review comes by. Gogotech isn't like that and in my opinion it is a huge PRO. I love that I can mold, reshape, propose, and hustle my way to the vision I have for success within my department and for the growth of the company. I love that I am not micro-managed, I don't have to ask for permission to get up from my desk, I don't sit there and fear my work isn't being noticed, and most importantly I don't feel like I am being asked to do more than I am capable of.. all of these things make it fun and exciting to work in my department, with my team, and with my brands. I probably could go on and on, but you don't want to read all 4500bits of feedback I could offer ;)

Cons

Having gone through the 90 day probationary period way back when, to my current role with the company, the biggest con is that we could be better with new hire training, offering certification / continuing education opportunities for our employees. We also need to work on communication between departments.. These shortfalls don't affect my day-to-day at all for the most part but I can understand why new hires can feel a bit lost at times. No company is perfect, Gogotech is not perfect, but the management and executive team we have here is constantly looking for ways to improve the business and make the work environment better and better over time.

Advice to Management

Great work removing the negativity from the
    workplace, it has made a really nice improvement in so many different ways.. If we can improve upon the items listed above, I think we will be in a better position to grow and keep the talent we need for the future.

"no room for grow at this company"

I worked at Gogotech full-time

Pros

great work location to travel

Cons

there is no room for growth at this company

"Good People, New Leadership questionable"

Pros

Good people to work with. Good place to start. You can learn a lot about e-commerce. Great Christmas Party.

Cons

Don't expect too much in raises. New regime are penny pinchers. Moving up is hard to nil. Have to earn it and even then you need to be given permission to move up. Sadly negative reviews are mostly true but its also depends on which department you are in. Instead of actually taking the time to respond to negative reviews with one-upping and trying to disprove negative comments with facts, statistics and other practices in other companies, and trying to squeeze blood from a rock, wouldn't an effective CEO try to make organizational improvements to keep or stop negative reviews from happening?

"Was,Great.."

Pros

Cool Staff. Great VP's. Potential for success. Performance based atmosphere. Shared department resources. Amazing reporting system. Nice office and great location.

Cons

C Level Leadership. Shrinking product markets. Venture Capital. Unstable work environment. Lack of direction and leadership. Blame replaces search for a winning recipe. Lots of fear of being fired.

Advice to Management

Relax and modernize. Remove the Human Resources chains. Let your employees do what you hired them to do. Stop acting like you know what you're doing and what you have will improve with creativity and collaboration.

"Company on a Depressing Path"

I worked at Gogotech full-time

Pros

Lunch once of month. Newer employees tend to be nice. Some diversity outside of management. Convenient location if you live in New Jersey.

Cons

-High number of bitter, mean employees. I was witness to a Slack group being created with the sole purpose of making fun of a former employee. I overheard some very cruel jokes. Haas, the CEO, and HR promised harassment seminars that same month in the company meeting, but they never came. Cost too much for management???

-Atmosphere is that of some bizzaro startup with a ringing bell for newly signed brands and a ping pong table that comes out 10 times a year. Reality is the CEO wants to build a system where he can shift all work to India, increase revenue, and (rumor has it) sell the company. Be aware that there is an India staff in the hundreds and 90% of the company 'growth' happens there. CEO boasts about how much work is being shifted to India in company meetings.

-Very shady business practices and goals. Strategized about possible 'improvements' like changing customer reviews, saving credit card info when you're not supposed to...This is the type of company that sells you a knock-off water filter under a brand-name category and then charges you a restocking fee when you send it back after realizing your mistake. They can't compete with any other online retailers so the entire philosophy of this place is figuring out how to scam people out of their money. It all gets very depressing after a while. Here's a little tidbit about where this drives people: Read the response by Haas in some of the older reviews. He claims all the bad managers were purged a long time ago, but surprise, surprise; some of the most 'successful' got busted trying to scam him recently with a little side-business action using company connections. Another round of firings, more people just disappear and you don't ask any questions. That's how it works here.

-Used software in violation of its terms. You have to share things like Photoshop since there are only a couple accounts for the whole company. Have to wait for people to log off, so you can do your work. Of course they use the free version Slack despite being a company pulling in hundreds of millions? It's up to you to make up for all the lost productivity that occurs because of the company's cheapness. Stay late it is!

-'Open office' is overcrowded. You're sitting elbow-to-elbow with no privacy at all. Hilarious this is supposed to be a selling point. So little room here, they set up makeshift tables in-between doorways for meetings. People would say Haas charged them a 'seat fee' to work at a desk. We couldn't tell if it was a joke or true! That's how sad it is! Other companies of the floor complained about how bad we left the bathrooms too. Also, air quality is terrible. You can clean off your computer every day and it's always covered in black grime!

-CEO and CFO micromanage like crazy. Expect to work on their pet personal projects that they think will make millions. CEO doesn't seem to have much of a non-financial business sense. I heard a lot of his info comes from 'googling' and 'friends'.

-Special standards for certain people regarding things like dress code. The rule of thumb here is "Don't ask why other people get to do certain things. Do what you're told."

The usual: low pay, long hours, no advancement within the company.
    Also, no paid out vacation when you quit for people who still work there. Make sure you use it!

Advice to Management

Hass, in response to other bad reviews, wrote: "I’m about to do something jaw-dropping and non-PC"

Advice from me: Throwing political correctness to the wind in 2016. How absolutely brave of you Haas! Thinking about running for president, maybe?

Hass, in response to other bad reviews, boasted about his little split test of offering a buyout to managers. He said: "Original case: Zappos offers senior managers buyout with 3-month severance package. Results: 18% attrition of manager ranks"

Advice from me: WRONG. Either you don't know how to read an article or are willfully misstating the facts of Tony Hsieh's buyout. He offered EVERY employee a 3 month buyout and 18% of the entire company tool the buyout. Do you know how foolish you look by responding to a former jaded employee with ignorance or lies? You're only proving them right. I knew quite a few employees would have taken that deal by the way.

Hass, in response to other bad reviews, wrote "Variation1: Gogotech offer of identical buyout, no questions asked"

Advice from me: This is not what I heard. I heard you offered 3 months only to people who had been there over 3 years, and 1 or 2 months if you had been there for 1 or 2 years. Considering many of your managers were new and had not even been there a year, I can see why they didn't take the offer. I hope I misheard on this one though because if I didn't, that would make you a straight up liar.

Final Advice: You fired the only nice executive who worked there. Reevaluate your mentality and attitude before it's too late. I heard so many bad things about you and the CFO when I worked there it was depressing. Clearly the company is not going in a good direction.

Gogotech Response

Sep 16, 2016 – HR Assistant Manager

Thank you so much for your thoughts and advice.

It’s now official – Glassdoor is the Jerry Springer of online workplace reviews. A place where spectators can be entertained by the bitter rants... More