Golin Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 22, 2017

US - All Cities Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Golin CEO+International, CEO+Vision, and CEO+Operations Jonathon Hughes, Matt Neale, and Gary Rudnick
Jonathon Hughes, Matt Neale, and Gary Rudnick

Pros
Cons
  • Hard work/life balance, as is the nature of agency work (in 10 reviews)

• Some people are lazy and with the G4 model, work is often unfairly distributed/shouldered (in 10 reviews)

1. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Golin full-time

Pros

-Collaborative - teams truly work together across communities
    -Smart - very high caliber of talent
    -Humble - Talent is confident yet not cocky and looking to solve client problems and come up with big ideas, not compete with one another
    -Rise together - this is a legit team environment. Each person is seen as a unique asset based on their own personalities and skills, working in concert for common goals
    --Learning - the highest level talent is genuinely involved in client work, leading by example with skin in the game
    --Flexible - amazing benefits with work from home weekly and relaxed environment
    --Benefit - great package - compensation, wellness perks, 401K all competitive

Cons

--The G4 model is maverick so it takes getting used to company from other companies where functions were blurred or hierarchies determined responsibility versus skills

Advice to Management

Keep investing in and being selective about talent. Our business is built on great people - we need intelligent, creative, humble talent to keep positively permeating the culture.

"Program Manager - 4 accounts"

Former Employee - Public Relations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Public Relations in Chicago, IL

I worked at Golin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Benefits & perks
    -Unlimited vacation days
    -Creative work
    -Modern, young work environment
    -Bonding with coworkers

Cons

-Completely overworked, unlimited vacation but you feel completely guilty using it, or stressed when you do take vacation
    -Not enough budget to staff teams correctly
    -Everyone is too busy to help other people succeed

3. "Great Team"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Golin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid team of creatives and a great place to work with some top clients such as Nintendo and Nestle.

Cons

Large office and very spread out and corporate. Also located deep in downtown LA so if you commute it's tough to get in and out.

Advice to Management

Invest in the best equipment and give creatives freedom to manage their personal computers and software.

5. "Associate"

Former Employee - Digital Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Digital Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Golin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Golin are very smart and most are willing to invest energy in entry-level employees and interns. They have some great clients and produce awesome work. In my experience, people wanted to help me advance and were willing to teach. Great, fun culture. Unlimited PTO and ability to work from home is great.

Cons

Like any large agency, expect long hours and hard, challenging work. The management acknowledges that people work overtime and even though people were leaving, no one new got hired, so people were doing the work of many. Once you're stuck in a specific area, it's difficult to branch out and try other types of work and clients. Despite "unternship" marketing campaign, employees are expected to know a lot and be very practiced in PR/social/communications before they get to Golin.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Continue to communicate openly about the state of the agency.

6. "Digital Manager"

Current Employee - Digital Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Digital Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Golin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, friendly people, fun brands.

Cons

They say they care about people, but I'm afraid that's not true for all of senior management.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Golin (More than 3 years)

Pros

The flexible work time, and PTO

Cons

Time off. Feel discouragement to take time off.

"NY is an office to watch - amazing team, talent & culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Golin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Golin's culture wins - hands down - any day against the other big agencies in New York. I'm now six months in on a switch from another big agency, and I can honestly say that I feel like I've joined the "Red Bull" of agencies - Golin gives you wings to pursue your full potential as a creative, fully integrated professional. The ethos is not just about being safe/smart - but about being really *brave* and fighting for the big ideas. And don't take my word for it - look at the double-digit growth in revenue in 2016. Golin's creative global mindset is infectious. We relish a great challenge, and trust each other to deliver in ways that are fun and collaborative, not cut-throat. Compared to other Top 10 shops, the vibe is younger, more energetic, and less afraid to push the envelope -- not to say that we don't also have an impressive group of seasoned senior leaders at the helm. It's more about the attitude and commitment to staying on the edge of 21st century communication. Through G4, Lifetime, and our agency model (5 titles only), the leadership has focused on creating an environment for people to focus less on admin and more on doing their life's best work. This is exemplified from the CEOs down, and particularly in our GM - who has set a new benchmark for success in New York, quietly setting about attracting top talent, bringing in Fortune 500 clients and championing a winning strategy over the last 2 year. We''re only just getting started. This is an office to watch.

Cons

Like all NYC agencies, Golin takes a commitment. You should only join if you are willing to work hard, get in the trenches, and push harder and smarter to advance your clients' goals and your career. Nine to five types will not succeed. This is not a 'con' per se - just a reality of the industry.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting New York as it continues to grow. The extraordinary success of senior leadership, the caliber of NY talent, and the growing client list are proof that there are great things ahead for this office.

"NY is a great place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Golin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in the NY office and have been here for 2 and a half years. In my time here, I have seen change but all for the better. It was a good place when I came in and now I feel it is a great place to be. Senior management cares about their teams and encourages an open environment where everyone feels comfortable sharing their opinions.

Cons

being part of a larger holding company has its drawbacks and at sometimes provides a disconnect .

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your staff and sharing new business opportunities and wins with the office.

10. "great job"

Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Golin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it was great management and there is room to move up in the company

Cons

nothing that i can think of

Advice to Management

awesome so you should apply

11. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Golin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible culture; great, knowledgeable employees; lots of employees are friends; diversity in clients; really cool/trendy office in downtown Chicago

Cons

Average/low pay, but that's typical of the industry

Advice to Management

Continue whatever it is you're doing - it's great!