Golin Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 16, 2017

US - All Cities Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Golin CEO+International, CEO+Vision, and CEO+Operations Jonathon Hughes, Matt Neale, and Gary Rudnick
Jonathon Hughes, Matt Neale, and Gary Rudnick

Pros
Cons
  • Hard work/life balance, as is the nature of agency work (in 11 reviews)

• Some people are lazy and with the G4 model, work is often unfairly distributed/shouldered (in 10 reviews)

"Refreshing"

I have been working at Golin full-time

Pros

I second the review in support of our MD in NYC. Whomever wrote such a nasty, petty review makes no sense. Our MD is very much respected and her vision, aligned with the rest of NY and global management, is driving the success of the office.

Cons

None at this time to share. I will continue to write in order to satisfy the 20 word minimum in order to submit this.

Advice to Management

Thank you for your vision and leadership, and commitment to being the greatest agency in the greatest city in the world.

"Disingenuous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Golin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I read a review about Golin's NY office that is clearly someone trolling. I actually work at the agency and am very proud of my team, my MD and the work we're doing for world class brands. In the past two years since the new MD took over, we have won some of the biggest pitches in the industry.

Cons

When rapid growth happens, sometimes the agency should hire slowly and carefully. Maybe the troll was someone that just wasn't good enough?

Advice to Management

Keep being ambitious and don't lose heart. It's such a shame that people can be so nasty online.

3. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Golin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People do genuinely care about each other. Ive been at other agencies and this is by far the very best experience so far. The agency has a lot going for it right now such as the people, new approaches, great client brands and a culture of fun and recognition. New Chicago leader is very approachable and is dialing up the office communications and culture. I feel like I'm noticed and appreciated here versus just a number.

Cons

Keep up the communications approach and attention to our culture. We've needed this for a long time. With Al's passing, it's more important for us to keep what we have. Don't forget that culture is the key to our success.

Advice to Management

Golin is about the people. As long as management doesn't lose sight of this, we'll stay strong.

"Great national rep but poor L.A. leadership"

Former Employee - Vice President/Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President/Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Golin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to learn about the evolution of PR, long history of innovative campaigns, great national and global reputation, good perks and benefits, great place to build relationships. Chicago (HQ), Dallas and London offices are best in business -- one star for these offices, and one star for Al Golin legacy.

Cons

LA office lacks strong leadership, not the same place since its previous MDs who really cared about the staff. Current MD is a robot, cannot be trusted. Stagnant environment in LA where politics rule office and top-heavy senior management team lacks real talent, creativity or ability to innovate. Questionable unethical decisions made behind closed doors. Current MD has driven the best senior talent out to bring in her former colleagues to inherit their work, clients and team members. Very long hours and expectation to work around the clock, no real work-life balance exists here anymore, and no one really cares about you -- It's a CYA mentality with senior leaders. They claim "unlimited vacation" but the chances that you can actually utilize that perk are slim.

Advice to Management

Take a good long look in the mirror. Examine your conscience and ask yourself if you've really made ethical decisions in the LA office. Would Al Golin really be proud of you?

"Yeah...No."

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Golin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Let's start with the positives first. Every single person that has worked at and walked in and out of the doors of Golin LA will tell you, the people that work there are the single greatest reason to work in that office. For all its shortcomings, Golin tends to find really great people that you can call "family" before they run their spirits into the ground. The introduction of Lifetime Benefits was also a welcome breath of fresh air as work from home days and UTO (unlimited time off) brought some semblance of work/life balance back and lessened anxiety on trying to save PTO for the right time. And lastly, the office space is modern and nice which makes for a nice working ambiance.

Cons

Ohh boy, are you ready for this? Where to even begin. Employees are very underpaid according to industry standards. Interviewing at the same level elsewhere you see anywhere between 24-43% more in the salary being offered. People are already overworked there for a number of reasons. There's extremely high turnover because of the burn out and lack of pay that it leads to being even more overworked. After people leave it takes forever to replace them or sometimes they're never replaced at all. On top of that some in executive leadership have the audacity to think they don't need to replace people they lost, showing a lack of support. You'll just keep spinning your wheels there as there are little to no growth opportunities. Thanks to turnover, it's like you have to keep starting over to convince people you are actually really great at your job in hopes that you'll get some sort of raise or bump in title. Golin's answer when they actually do replace people is to continue to make everything top-heavy rather then hiring from bottom up. That means managers are doing associate-level work because there are no associates and senior and director-level employees think they're above their work so they also dump their work onto the managers as well. Meaning, managers are doing everything with no bump in pay, because all that salary that could've gone to rewarding team members who have actually been there and helping to keep their accounts afloat is going towards bloating senior leadership who just arrived.

Advice to Management

Actions speak louder than words. There's always meeting on meetings asking what can Golin do better and employees opinions are always being asked on to create a better working environment whereupon they just fall into the void because literally nothing ever changes. Yeah free lunches and booze are nice every now and then but we want actual change, which it just doesn't seem like the company is trying to do. We always hear about how great the Chicago office is and the core values Golin holds dear, but all of that just sounds like a pipedream or bs depending on who you ask. They are so unaware that literally every current employee there is trying to get out. Unless real tangible changes are made, they will keep losing good employees and clients.

7. "A strange experience"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Golin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office. Junior staff is sweet.

Cons

No real talent. Colin talks about what a great agency this is. Maybe that is true at their home office but NY is sort of sad. They have this woman who is the MD and she means well but NO ONE respects her.

Advice to Management

Get rid of that blond managing director. She is a nice person but has no talent. is a cheer leader that no one. I mean no one respects. I feel really bad for her. It's sort of embarrassing.

8. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Golin full-time

Pros

-Collaborative - teams truly work together across communities
    -Smart - very high caliber of talent
    -Humble - Talent is confident yet not cocky and looking to solve client problems and come up with big ideas, not compete with one another
    -Rise together - this is a legit team environment. Each person is seen as a unique asset based on their own personalities and skills, working in concert for common goals
    --Learning - the highest level talent is genuinely involved in client work, leading by example with skin in the game
    --Flexible - amazing benefits with work from home weekly and relaxed environment
    --Benefit - great package - compensation, wellness perks, 401K all competitive

Cons

--The G4 model is maverick so it takes getting used to company from other companies where functions were blurred or hierarchies determined responsibility versus skills

Advice to Management

Keep investing in and being selective about talent. Our business is built on great people - we need intelligent, creative, humble talent to keep positively permeating the culture.

"Program Manager - 4 accounts"

Former Employee - Public Relations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Public Relations in Chicago, IL

I worked at Golin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Benefits & perks
    -Unlimited vacation days
    -Creative work
    -Modern, young work environment
    -Bonding with coworkers

Cons

-Completely overworked, unlimited vacation but you feel completely guilty using it, or stressed when you do take vacation
    -Not enough budget to staff teams correctly
    -Everyone is too busy to help other people succeed

10. "Great Team"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Golin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid team of creatives and a great place to work with some top clients such as Nintendo and Nestle.

Cons

Large office and very spread out and corporate. Also located deep in downtown LA so if you commute it's tough to get in and out.

Advice to Management

Invest in the best equipment and give creatives freedom to manage their personal computers and software.

11. "Associate"

Former Employee - Digital Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Digital Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Golin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Golin are very smart and most are willing to invest energy in entry-level employees and interns. They have some great clients and produce awesome work. In my experience, people wanted to help me advance and were willing to teach. Great, fun culture. Unlimited PTO and ability to work from home is great.

Cons

Like any large agency, expect long hours and hard, challenging work. The management acknowledges that people work overtime and even though people were leaving, no one new got hired, so people were doing the work of many. Once you're stuck in a specific area, it's difficult to branch out and try other types of work and clients. Despite "unternship" marketing campaign, employees are expected to know a lot and be very practiced in PR/social/communications before they get to Golin.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Continue to communicate openly about the state of the agency.