Graycor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Matthew Gray

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A whole Lot of Drinking Going On"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Homewood, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Homewood, IL

I worked at Graycor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Graycor is a family owned company that really cares about safety. The option to work summer hours at the corporate office contributed greatly to work/life balance. The pay was very low, however, my manager fought hard to bring the mostly female accounting department's salary schedule up to market value.

Cons

Upper management tried to get rid of anyone with major health concerns, making it necessary to hide the seriousness of diagnoses. Random drug testing policy was ridiculous, given the hard drinking culture.

Advice to Management

Do random breathalyzer testing on your project managers, boozy lunches are not cool. Reward loyalty with money, not company-branded paraphenalia.

Aug 22, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Graycor annually compares our pay against construction industry benchmarks in order to remain competitive and consistent with the market. While we don’t... More

2. "Fired without due process"

I worked at Graycor full-time

Pros

Pay was good, benefits were good. Received great feedback about the work i did.

Cons

you can be falsely accused of something and then fired, without an investigation. Someone went after me and without even talking to me or having HR investigate, I lost my job.

Advice to Management

Investigate before assuming what you are hearing is accurate. There could be ulterior motives afoot.

"Engineer"

I worked at Graycor full-time

Pros

The company paying for you to travel home twice a month is extremely nice. Summer hours were extremely nice (being able to work 4-10's). Emphasis on safety was above and beyond what most companies have.

Cons

While the company made it seem like they valued family and a work/life balance. It couldn't be farther from the truth. You can expect as an Engineer, to be working 6-7 days a week 12-15 hours a day. Project Managers throw most of their responsibilities onto the PE and overwork them to the point of exhaustion. PM's seem to take on a very limited role on projects while the PE is left to basically run the project.

Advice to Management

Encourage your Project Managers to let people actually go home and use their travel home days. Most PM's don't allow staff to use their travel days or let them go home once every couple months. Train the Engineers in the role that they will be performing and the expectations the company has. You'd be surprised how much better the quality audits would be if PE's knew what the expectation was. Have Project Managers on site that will actually pull their weight or show them how to train Engineers and APM's to take on a broader role.

4. "Not What It Used To Be"

I worked at Graycor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

About the only thing left there is a steady paycheck.

Cons

The company has changed over the years. No longer any focus on employees, with many long term people that have been replaced so the company could "go in a new direction". Business is no where near constant as it used to be. Keep your resume up to date. If business gets slow you will need it.

5. "Project Engineer"

I have been working at Graycor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Travel pay. Has some additional perks like the employee referral program, and bonuses for Safety program. Decent pay.

Cons

Lots of additional work outside the scope. Project Managers don't do their jobs. They pile their work onto the P.E. and the P.A. They don't give credit where it's due.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, and care about their feedback. Hire PM'S that actually work! Quit playing politics and stick up for people. Invest in your employees. They are what makes your business!

Oct 3, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your comments and feedback. We certainly expect each team member to pull their own weight so I’m sorry you’re feeling this is not the case on your project. One of the many benefits of... More

"Ok company to work for but not great"

Pros

Company is moving in right direction with technology. Per Diem pay and travel incentives are decent. Summer hours are nice to have, if you are working in corporate offices or job that allows summer hours.

Cons

Male dominated company. There are very few women in executive positions or management positions. Company is very clique especially management. Company makes no effort to bring company together as a whole so that everyone feels appreciated. Unless you kiss some major but don’t expect to be promoted or considered for advancements within company.

"Great Company"

I have been working at Graycor full-time

Pros

Working for Graycor can be challenging. In a good way. I have learned so much about the industry and people in general. For the most part everyone is great. The work load can sometimes get sparse. But that is when I reach out to obtain more to do. That is the nature of the business though. Other times you are so busy with no time for nothing else. Not a bad thing. That is how I like it.

Cons

If you do a good job, you don't get rewarded. There is no place to move up and should you want to apply for an internal position it is not welcome. They tend to keep the good employees to themselves. Meaning that should you want to further your knowledge in other areas it seems as if upper management frowns on this. Unless of course you stay within your group. Then it is welcomed.

Advice to Management

Allow the employees to better themselves. Especially when asked. In the long run this will make everyone happier.

Aug 11, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying your work and feeling challenged. I’m sorry to hear that you feel your efforts haven’t been recognized or that there are... More

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at Graycor full-time

Pros

Family owed company with hard working people. The core value of safety is created from the top level. The company continues to strive to be a culture that drives for the safest working construction projects.

Cons

More family / social events throughout all Graycor companies. Take the technology to the next level to better handle cost management.

Advice to Management

Install doors in your office space even if they are glass..

9. "Project manager"

Pros

Great company to work for, very open to listening to employees as well and internal advancement

Cons

A ton of hours, but worth it

Advice to Management

Don't forget to get back to employee compaints

10. "Manager"

I have been working at Graycor full-time

Pros

I believe they treat their employees well and the pay is great. Also, the upper management is very approachable and listens to concerns.

Cons

Lots of travel. Perks and/or bonuses vary by middle management team. One location may offer you a travel incentive per company policy while another may tell you that "we are not doing that on this project".