Graycor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Matthew Gray

"A whole Lot of Drinking Going On"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Homewood, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Homewood, IL

I worked at Graycor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Graycor is a family owned company that really cares about safety. The option to work summer hours at the corporate office contributed greatly to work/life balance. The pay was very low, however, my manager fought hard to bring the mostly female accounting department's salary schedule up to market value.

Cons

Upper management tried to get rid of anyone with major health concerns, making it necessary to hide the seriousness of diagnoses. Random drug testing policy was ridiculous, given the hard drinking culture.

Advice to Management

Do random breathalyzer testing on your project managers, boozy lunches are not cool. Reward loyalty with money, not company-branded paraphenalia.

Aug 22, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Graycor annually compares our pay against construction industry benchmarks in order to remain competitive and consistent with the market. While we don’t ... More

2. "Not What It Used To Be"

I worked at Graycor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

About the only thing left there is a steady paycheck.

Cons

The company has changed over the years. No longer any focus on employees, with many long term people that have been replaced so the company could "go in a new direction". Business is no where near constant as it used to be. Keep your resume up to date. If business gets slow you will need it.

3. "Project Engineer"

I have been working at Graycor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Travel pay. Has some additional perks like the employee referral program, and bonuses for Safety program. Decent pay.

Cons

Lots of additional work outside the scope. Project Managers don't do their jobs. They pile their work onto the P.E. and the P.A. They don't give credit where it's due.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, and care about their feedback. Hire PM'S that actually work! Quit playing politics and stick up for people. Invest in your employees. They are what makes your business!

Oct 3, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your comments and feedback. We certainly expect each team member to pull their own weight so I’m sorry you’re feeling this is not the case on your project. One of the many benefits of ... More

5. "Ok company to work for but not great"

Pros

Company is moving in right direction with technology. Per Diem pay and travel incentives are decent. Summer hours are nice to have, if you are working in corporate offices or job that allows summer hours.

Cons

Male dominated company. There are very few women in executive positions or management positions. Company is very clique especially management. Company makes no effort to bring company together as a whole so that everyone feels appreciated. Unless you kiss some major but don’t expect to be promoted or considered for advancements within company.

6. "Great Company"

I have been working at Graycor full-time

Pros

Working for Graycor can be challenging. In a good way. I have learned so much about the industry and people in general. For the most part everyone is great. The work load can sometimes get sparse. But that is when I reach out to obtain more to do. That is the nature of the business though. Other times you are so busy with no time for nothing else. Not a bad thing. That is how I like it.

Cons

If you do a good job, you don't get rewarded. There is no place to move up and should you want to apply for an internal position it is not welcome. They tend to keep the good employees to themselves. Meaning that should you want to further your knowledge in other areas it seems as if upper management frowns on this. Unless of course you stay within your group. Then it is welcomed.

Advice to Management

Allow the employees to better themselves. Especially when asked. In the long run this will make everyone happier.

Aug 11, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying your work and feeling challenged. I’m sorry to hear that you feel your efforts haven’t been recognized or that there are ... More

7. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at Graycor full-time

Pros

Family owed company with hard working people. The core value of safety is created from the top level. The company continues to strive to be a culture that drives for the safest working construction projects.

Cons

More family / social events throughout all Graycor companies. Take the technology to the next level to better handle cost management.

Advice to Management

Install doors in your office space even if they are glass..

8. "Project manager"

Pros

Great company to work for, very open to listening to employees as well and internal advancement

Cons

A ton of hours, but worth it

Advice to Management

Don't forget to get back to employee compaints

9. "Manager"

I have been working at Graycor full-time

Pros

I believe they treat their employees well and the pay is great. Also, the upper management is very approachable and listens to concerns.

Cons

Lots of travel. Perks and/or bonuses vary by middle management team. One location may offer you a travel incentive per company policy while another may tell you that "we are not doing that on this project".

10. "Project Manager"

Pros

Growth opportunities and projects were great

Cons

Travel was an unknown and could happen with little warning

"Great Company when started but things have changed"

Pros

Love the fact that you can walk up to the owner or the president and have interaction. They have a ton of knowledge in the office.

Cons

Some of the new leaders in the company let their egos get in the way and are giving Graycor a bad name. They are "me" and less Team players. Their pay is far below national average and the face that the bonuses are given only to Construction Managers and above is a kick in the gut to the guys who really worked hard for those profits

Advice to Management

Would suggest that you talk to your employees more and see that there is a lot of turner over of late because of the middle management has its own goals. You have lost your respect in many parts of the industry because of the arrogance of the middle management . So the combination of the low pay and no bonus program makes for Graycor being a stepping block instead of a permanent home. Also the promotion of managers who do unethical things is wrong (from theft to racism).

Apr 14, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are proud that several of our managers have been promoted into key leadership roles over the past several years. Our sense is that, while not perfect, they are doing a ... More