Group Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Group Publishing CEO Thom Schultz
Thom Schultz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Most managers are flexible with work/life balance issues (in 5 reviews)

• I meet some great people there and have created lasting friendships, thats really all I can say for pros (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • In this company, there is no advancement, no investment in employee growth (in 7 reviews)

• Middle and Upper Management is a boys club, and if you ain't in the club trust me, you ain't in the club (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Tech Support in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Group Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture, mission and co-workers are what make Group an awesome place to work.

Cons

-advancement is not easy unless you have been with the company a long time

"Group Tries Hard"

I worked at Group Publishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, People, Environment, Mission, Charitable

Cons

High stress, chaotic, ever-changing, declining, idealistic

"Sinking Ship"

I worked at Group Publishing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are some of the best coworkers you will find anywhere. The location is beautiful. Most managers are flexible with work/life balance issues.

Cons

Faulty business decisions are causing the company to contract, throwing good money after bad, zero stability with layoffs every six months, owners have a "yes" mentality with no desire to actually hear what the people they've hired have to say, unoriginal low-quality product that tries to please all customers resulting in pleasing none (exception being VBS which is solid), abandoned the church market that supported them from the beginning, zero opportunity for advancement, no raises in 6+ years, dodgy theology, arrogant leadership

"Group Publishing Will Not Exist in 5 Years"

Current Employee - Marketing in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Group Publishing full-time

Pros

Within the minions that work at Group, there are some genuinely nice people.

Cons

Upper management is clueless. They actually think they can break into the consumer market to save the company. Not a chance. They don't have the right products, the skillset, or the money to do direct to consumer. Thom and Joani surround themselves with yes people. It's a joke. Nobody ever tells them, "bad idea" and trust me, there have been plenty crazy, bad ideas..

And the layoffs. Don't get me started. They're in the middle of one now. They don't layoff everybody the same day, it's little by little now. Trying not to get bad PR.

Advice to Management

No advice for management. It's a lost cause. My advice is for those of us who still work there. Get a new job ASAP. It's bad and getting worse. Sales are terrible. Leadership is nonexistent. Product pipeline is a joke.

And if you're considering working here. Don't.

"Under A Bus"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Loveland, CO

I worked at Group Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers, and working second shift was laid back for the most part

Cons

Bosses in the warehouse didn't have a clue. Tons of pointless meetings. And Human Resources was a waste of good air.

Advice to Management

Hire people because they are good at what they do, base it on more than just Lowell they love Jesus so they're hired."

"Good people, but no long term career."

Pros

Very nice people and great facility.

Cons

Too many folks have been around too long and are not very flexible to new ideas. Below average pay.

7. "Overall a great place to work"

I worked at Group Publishing full-time

Pros

Good values - a company that deeply cares about what it's doing

Cons

An occasional bad manager - conflicting priorities - changes with no explanation

"We're All in This Together--Until We Don't Need You Anymore"

I worked at Group Publishing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The biggest plus was that the work went toward introducing people to Jesus. It doesn't get better than that. They genuinely tried to make things fun. But it often came across as forced fun, and that's not fun at all. I worked with some of my very favorite people in the world here. I made friends for life.

Cons

They repeat the phrase "We're all in this together," ad nauseam, but that's just not true. Everyone is a cog, and cogs are easily replaced. Or not! There have been a number of layoffs in the last few years, and that work doesn't go away. It's just spread out among the remaining employees who are already working a full-time+ job.

Because of past success, particularly with VBS, they're sure they have the answer for the church's needs. But their answer is to just make everything look like VBS. How is that innovative? As sales have slipped, they've also turned into a fear-based operation, telling people that if things don't turn around, they'll make more cuts. How is that motivating? How is that leadership? As though people aren't already doing everything they can to make the company a success...

They also aren't loyal. I said everyone is a cog, and I meant it. People who have been there 10, 15, and even 20 years have been let go in the last few years. It's an easy way to cut $ from the bottom line, but it just shows that anyone who has stuck it out as a loyal employee has a target on his or her back.

When I started there, it was a great place to work. I loved what I did and enjoyed coming to work every day. Over the years things shifted, and it's not even close to the same place it was 10+ years ago. You don't want to work here, unless you like being an overworked cog.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to make everything look exactly like VBS. You take innovative ideas and then whittle away the unique things until they're not innovative anymore. You made a documentary about the church dying, and used Kodak as an example of someone who refused to innovate and died as a result. It's amazing that you don't see that YOU'RE Kodak, so sure you have exactly what people need and refusing to do anything new. Wake up before it's too late.

"The Jury's Still Out"

Pros

Intelligent, dedicated workforce with a company mission I can get behind.

Cons

Short-staffed with lots of conflicting priorities.

"Always another layoff pending"

I have been working at Group Publishing full-time

Pros

Great People...Can't overstate the people of this company. Unless you're in sales, it's pretty laid back as far as office environment.

Cons

This place is just good enough to keep you there, while it drains the life out of you. In this company, there is no advancement, no investment in employee growth. The cafe is overpriced and continually takes away menu items to save even more money.
    Management is lost. And the comments about a good ole boys club are well placed.

Advice to Management

Its time to shake up your management team. Get rid of the poor performers that are dragging down your talented employees. Get a creative director in to help Joanie get back on the pulse of today's church. Selling the same old curriculum and expecting the sales force to perform where product creation is lacking is sheer craziness. Your next layoff needs to be focused a bit higher up. Get with the now.