Guidance Reviews

• Part-time
4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jason Meugniot

1. "For the people - Love thy people"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Marina del Rey, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Marina del Rey, CA

Pros

The pros of working at Guidance, • Wonderful working environment with excellent work/life balance • Great family like environment. The kind of place people smile at you as you pass by. • Solid project/ consulting processes with an emphasis on continuous improvement • Approachable and supportive management that is less interested in blame and more interested in solutions • Transparent recruiting process followed by an incredibly organized orientation • Solid pipeline of new projects • One day work from home option • Fun projects - its the web!!

Cons

- No cons have been observed thus far.

Advice to Management

Continue laying emphasis on people. Its Guidance's strength and what sets it apart from other consulting companies.

"Great if you just want to coast in your job"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Marina del Rey, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at Guidance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Pretty easy work as a developer. Hours are totally reasonable. * They provided some offsite training related to one of the eCommerce platforms we built on * All-hands meetings were catered

Cons

Ultimately, if you want a career, you should look elsewhere. This isn't really a place for you if you're an engineer wanting to work on technically challenging projects for a management team that cares about your career development. The projects were pretty disorganized and I really had no idea what everyone was working on, as each engineer was siloed on the individual project/customer they were building solutions for. There was a lack of real collaboration there. The management didn't really engage with you, and frankly I don't really know what the CTO and CEO did at the company. I left after 9 months and joined an awesome startup, which put me in a steep career trajectory upward. It would have been a huge mistake had I stayed. One data point to consider: all the management at the company have been there for 7-8 years on average. Whereas the turnover for everyone else is really high. That kinda tells you how they treat people and their career growth

Advice to Management

I mean I guess for management they're sitting pretty, but I'd be worried about the reputation. Then again, I don't think they care that much about getting top talent.

"Good place to get your e-commerce chops down"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Marina del Rey, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at Guidance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a project manager I was given a lot of leeway with how to manage the client engagements. You're given a lot of responsibility here off the bat, but the management team, particularly Lisa and Jon will help if you seek them out. The projects were varied and interesting and ultimately I added some interesting work experience to my resume that helped me land my next gig. The management team really does try to have a positive work environment and let employees know they are valued. At the end of the day, this is a great place to learn a lot about building out ecommerce apps and websites -- they are experts at this here.

Cons

This is essentially a consulting agency building ecommerce sites and apps for clients -- and clients can be demanding. If you have a thin skin and don't know how to let off steam outside the office in a constructive way, you should work somewhere else. The sales process sometimes over promises to the client what they'll get (estimations were off and to keep clients happy free hours were given away, which lowers overall profitability of a project). I think the management team has learned from past mistakes in this area. The other deficiency when I was at Guidance was lack of quality developers - hard to compete against other top-paying companies in L.A., so not sure how they can do better here. But I always felt like they were relying on 2-3 top devs to lead several projects at once.

Advice to Management

Be realistic during SOW estimations so staff are not under the gun to deliver. Keep up on the employee values and soft benefits (free lunch; little soft perks).

"Great place to work, Smart people."

I have been working at Guidance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company cares about it's people. It works hard to listen to what works and does not work. There is a real sense that if you want to make things better, people there listen and work with you to help make things better. The people who work there are really good and knowledgeable.

Cons

Change is slow. This is not abnormal anywhere but it is true here also. Sometimes positive change takes longer than it should.

Aug 11, 2015 – Vice President of Technology

Thank you for the review - great feedback! Change does take time, and we know that it can be a priority to the whole team. I hope you feel as if we're headed in the right direction!

"Great Place to Work, Feel Valued and Appreciated"

I have been working at Guidance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Leadership Team, Good Benefits, Up front expectations, Friendly and helpful co-workers.

Cons

The offices are in Marina del Rey, so if you have to commute the office location is a little hard to get to, and parking is a little tight.

Advice to Management

Solve the parking situation.

Aug 11, 2015 – Vice President of Technology

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. Parking is an challenge as we grow, but the management team is committed to finding both long and short term solutions. In the mean time, we should have ... More

"Great company and the right trajectory."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA

I have been working at Guidance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Like many growing companies, there's a lot of focus on the employee and your usual tech company perks. There can always be more, but all in all its good.

Cons

Growing pains - with some thoughtful leadership, this will get better.

Advice to Management

Keep your focus on clients, quality and the staff and the sky is the limit.

"Join the company only if you wanna doom your career"

I have been working at Guidance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No reasons to work here even if the management makes it sound all fancy and big and easy going environment during the interview process

Cons

You are only a money making machine to them. They are not bothered about your career and aspirations. As long as you bill your work hours to the client, the management is fine with you, else you are a piece of crap to their eyes. The ideologies that they claim to run their company on, none of it is followed and the management who takes pride in believing in them, in reality, they are the most culprit of all They are cheaters, liars and will destroy all your goals and aspirations!

Advice to Management

GROW UP...!!! Learn the "human side" of a human.

Aug 24, 2015 – Vice President of Technology

Guidance is proud to be a values-driven organization. One of our signature benefits is our Professional Coaching program, in which every employee is assigned to a leader within the organization to ... More

"Great place to work."

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Guidance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very positive working environment. Open to new ideas.

Cons

Can't think of anything negative.

"Exciting projects in a supportive environment"

Current Employee - Magento Practice Lead in Marina del Rey, CA
    Current Employee - Magento Practice Lead in Marina del Rey, CA

I have been working at Guidance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Guidance's clients include some of the biggest and best brands in the country as well as innovative new businesses which are pushing the envelope in commerce and paving new ground. This translates to exciting projects with unique technical challenges. The Guidance team structure has been built around supporting individuals to ensure their success and the success of their projects.

Cons

Because of the advanced nature of Guidance's clients and their technical requirements team members are always working hard to stay ahead of new technologies and techniques.

"More than just a job"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Lead in Marina del Rey, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Lead in Marina del Rey, CA

I have been working at Guidance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Any company can toss out marketing rhetoric about "comfortable environment", "professional recognition", or "work/life balance", but Guidance Solutions consistently strives to live up to those promises. The company's leadership truly realize that their success is entirely dependent on the quality and satisfaction of their employees; the result is a company and a workplace that doesn't feel like a 9-to-5 job, but a familial atmosphere of support, respect, and enthusiasm. This in turn results in passionate employees and satisfied customers, as the members stand by their work and consistently strive to deliver their best results.

Cons

Because Guidance can be rather selective of who they hire, staffing levels are sometimes insufficient to meet all of the company's current requirements. This puts an additional strain on the current employees, but management is always aware of the problem and quickly tries to rectify the issue.

RSS Feed </> Embed