Guidance Reviews | Glassdoor

Jason Meugniot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "CIO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA

I have been working at Guidance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Management is open and honest. Pay is top of the market. Good vibe.

Cons

Busy workload, keeps you on your toes.

"Actually Not the best place to work as advertised"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Marina del Rey, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at Guidance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice creative space, laid back, Creative team is good

Cons

Dysfunctional Management who do not like each other. Nothing innovative for developers, they are simply implementing someone else's platform. The work environment often is outright disrespectful. Average benefits and weak bonuses.

Advice to Management

Think about growing the company and try to get along with each other.

3. "Solid Company"

I have been working at Guidance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The development team can develop complex Magento apps that other shops seem to be failing at. Design team is great and win awards. Environmentally conscience. Food trucks. Cool office. Good career ops and challenging work.

Cons

Management team gets it for the most part but some can be a lil' salty. Sales is growing and resources get tight so sometimes hours can be long.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring.

"Good people doing good things"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA

Pros

Love the company. It has the energy of the startup and the stability of a 20-year profitable company. The management team is excellent, placing the customer and employee needs above all others. Management provides excellent communication with their monthly communication meetings.

Cons

Company is growing at a rapid clip; would love to see new hires onboarded more quickly.

"Amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA

I have been working at Guidance full-time

Pros

* Company is highly transparent in terms of rate/budget/turn-over etc.
    * Management is open minded for new ideas, new tools, process change.
    * Pretty organized project cycle. Proper agile and scrum methodologies are followed.
    * Sponsor for certification exams/classes.
    * Co-workers are friendly and keep a positive attitude.
    * Good benefits including standard insurance, yearly bonus, work from home on Fridays, flexible timings, company sponsored lunch & learn, optional standing desks, dogs are welcome on Fridays, & an in-house massage chair :)
    * Work load is realistic. Good work/life balance.

Cons

* Performance review process is very slow. Takes almost 6 months.
    * Do not match 401K.
    * If you are interviewing, please keep patience. Hiring process is little time consuming (in a way its good because they are picky).

Advice to Management

I really enjoy working at Guidance. Thank you for providing this platform.
    Please speed up the performance review process.

6. "pretty good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at Guidance (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work at Guidance become great friends. It is a niced sized agency, and people work hard and communicate well.

Cons

It has a high turnover rate - and limited growth potential.

Guidance Response

Mar 22, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for the review. In terms of the turnover rate we are at industry average. We strive to better this average daily, and recently won our Best Place to Work award for the 6th time.

"Great if you just want to coast in your job"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Marina del Rey, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at Guidance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Pretty easy work as a developer. Hours are totally reasonable.
    * They provided some offsite training related to one of the eCommerce platforms we built on
    * All-hands meetings were catered

Cons

Ultimately, if you want a career, you should look elsewhere. This isn't really a place for you if you're an engineer wanting to work on technically challenging projects for a management team that cares about your career development.

The projects were pretty disorganized and I really had no idea what everyone was working on, as each engineer was siloed on the individual project/customer they were building solutions for. There was a lack of real collaboration there. The management didn't really engage with you, and frankly I don't really know what the CTO and CEO did at the company. I left after 9 months and joined an awesome startup, which put me in a steep career trajectory upward. It would have been a huge mistake had I stayed. One data point to consider: all the management at the company have been there for 7-8 years on average. Whereas the turnover for everyone else is really high. That kinda tells you how they treat people and their career growth

Advice to Management

I mean I guess for management they're sitting pretty, but I'd be worried about the reputation. Then again, I don't think they care that much about getting top talent.

"Good place to get your e-commerce chops down"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Marina del Rey, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at Guidance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a project manager I was given a lot of leeway with how to manage the client engagements. You're given a lot of responsibility here off the bat, but the management team, particularly Lisa and Jon will help if you seek them out. The projects were varied and interesting and ultimately I added some interesting work experience to my resume that helped me land my next gig. The management team really does try to have a positive work environment and let employees know they are valued. At the end of the day, this is a great place to learn a lot about building out ecommerce apps and websites -- they are experts at this here.

Cons

This is essentially a consulting agency building ecommerce sites and apps for clients -- and clients can be demanding. If you have a thin skin and don't know how to let off steam outside the office in a constructive way, you should work somewhere else. The sales process sometimes over promises to the client what they'll get (estimations were off and to keep clients happy free hours were given away, which lowers overall profitability of a project). I think the management team has learned from past mistakes in this area.
    The other deficiency when I was at Guidance was lack of quality developers - hard to compete against other top-paying companies in L.A., so not sure how they can do better here. But I always felt like they were relying on 2-3 top devs to lead several projects at once.

Advice to Management

Be realistic during SOW estimations so staff are not under the gun to deliver. Keep up on the employee values and soft benefits (free lunch; little soft perks).

"For the people - Love thy people"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Marina del Rey, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Marina del Rey, CA

Pros

The pros of working at Guidance,
    • Wonderful working environment with excellent work/life balance
    • Great family like environment. The kind of place people smile at you as you pass by.
    • Solid project/ consulting processes with an emphasis on continuous improvement
    • Approachable and supportive management that is less interested in blame and more interested in solutions
    • Transparent recruiting process followed by an incredibly organized orientation
    • Solid pipeline of new projects
    • One day work from home option
    • Fun projects - its the web!!

Cons

- No cons have been observed thus far.

Advice to Management

Continue laying emphasis on people. Its Guidance's strength and what sets it apart from other consulting companies.

"Great place to work, Smart people."

I have been working at Guidance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company cares about it's people. It works hard to listen to what works and does not work. There is a real sense that if you want to make things better, people there listen and work with you to help make things better. The people who work there are really good and knowledgeable.

Cons

Change is slow. This is not abnormal anywhere but it is true here also. Sometimes positive change takes longer than it should.

Guidance Response

Aug 11, 2015 – Vice President of Technology

Thank you for the review - great feedback! Change does take time, and we know that it can be a priority to the whole team. I hope you feel as if we're headed in the right direction!