Guidepoint Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Guidepoint CEO Albert Sebag
Albert Sebag

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great team spirit and fast-paced work environment" (in 14 reviews)

• "Pay was really good too, there is sufficient work life balance which I liked" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only skills that people learn there is how to Spam people on Linkedin" (in 4 reviews)

• "long hours & work/life balance if you don't manage time well" (in 6 reviews)

"Review"

Current Employee - Client Associate
    Current Employee - Client Associate

I have been working at Guidepoint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to be, especially right out college.
    Exposure to so many different industries and valuable skills such as cold calling, organization/time management, managing clients/exposure to clients early on, researching, communicating in a professional setting
    You get out what you put in, if you are a hard and dedicated worker, there is a clear path for promotions and room to grow in the near future
    Great environment, fun culture, friendly and welcoming - young company that definitely works hard but plays harder
    Upper management is very friendly and open to recommendations on how to improve - never an issue with asking questions either
    Training program super helpful for entry level - there is mentoring program

Cons

Not just anyone can do this job, definitely a science to the madness that takes time to master

Jun 1, 2018 – Guidepoint Team

Thank you for your review. We agree that Guidepoint has a “work hard, play hard” culture, and hard work is rewarded in growth opportunities and celebrations in and outside of the office. We’re glad... More

2. "You Get What You Give"

I have been working at Guidepoint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture here is very young and casual so if you stay, you'll get the opportunity to work with very big accounts at a young age. Upper management is supportive and obviously this depends on what team you're on and which team you get along with but that goes for any company.

Compensation is competitive and everyone is super friendly.

If you do well, you will absolutely be recognized for it whether it's through bonuses or recognition throughout the whole company by senior management.

Vacation and time off is very lax and management is understanding.

I've read some reviews that say there is no career path unless its recruiting or sales but please take a look at where some of former Guidepoint employees have gone. Some have gone to into finance roles, some in sales, some in recruiting, some have gone to business school, some to law school, some in health care consulting - it really depends on YOU. If you do plan on going to school after this role, people totally understand and will support you for it (including your PMs).

Cons

The hours are long-ish like 8:45-6:15/20 but please take that with a grain of salt. You are working with clients at TOP TOP investment firms, management consulting firms, hedge funds, and other corporate clients (think big names) so obviously you won't have a 9-5PM but why would you? First of all, it's NYC so work hard, play hard is a mindset and second of all, imagine the hours that the clients have to work -- it's not that bad.

Tasks can be a bit repetitive but you'll be able to hone in on your skills. You'll speak with CEOs of Fortune 500 companies on the phone pretty much every day and you'll build communication skills that way. Also, if it's an entry-level position, what job isn't a little bit repetitive to some extent? That's how you learn.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to work from home once in a while, especially for RAs so they don't get burnt out. This job can be repetitive and the task itself isn't hard to do from home. Truthfully, it might encourage morale and be beneficial to retaining top talent!

3. "Associate"

I have been working at Guidepoint full-time

Pros

The work is easy. That's it.

Cons

The work is not challenging or all that rewarding.

"Sad excuse for a company"

I worked at Guidepoint full-time

Pros

Free beer on Fridays? Casual dress? That’s pretty much it.

Cons

DO NOT APPLY HERE. This company has absolutely no semblance of reason and common sense. To put it shortly: this place is a joke. Any positive reviews on this page were likely written by upper management.

I spent about a year at Guidepoint. I have never felt as underappreciated, undermined, and micromanaged as I did here. I was drained (emotionally and physically) from the long hours of mundane, mindless work. I questioned my worth everyday and regretted my decision to join the company immensely.

As a Client Service Associate or "Research Analyst" (as they called it before), your day-to-day consists of stalking people on LinkedIn and badgering them until they agree to join the Guidepoint advisor network. You will spend hours on end copy/pasting emails + repeating the same, deceptive script to industry professionals over the phone. To make things worse, the company asks you to use your own, personal LinkedIn account to reach out to these people... which can certainly hurt you if you ever decide to apply for a job at one of the companies that you SPAMMED during your time at Guidepoint. You do all of this in the hopes that your client (who you have absolutely no direct contact with as a CSA) will select the lead you brought in for a phone consultation. Also, GUESS WHAT: the entire company then gets to see how "well" you performed at the end of each week in a lame email from one of the VPs :) :)

This place is incredibly fratty and unprofessional. VPs walk around cursing and spewing inappropriate jokes. The CEO does not acknowledge you unless you're consistently "performing well." People are fired for ridiculous reasons and you're constantly walking on eggshells. Most people end up leaving after a year: those who make it to Team Lead and VP positions are certainly not people to look up to.

If you're looking to use your brain: do not apply here. If you're looking to be surrounded by professional people and potential mentors: do not apply here. If you're looking to be fairly compensated for your work: do not apply here. If you're looking to develop yourself professionally: do not apply here. If you're looking to work decent hours and be allowed to have a lunch break: do not apply here. If you're looking for a place with great people: do not apply here. If you're looking to be happy: do not apply here. I will say, however, If you're ONLY looking for free beer on Fridays and the occasional company happy hour: this is the place for you.

Recent grads: if you're desperate for a job, KEEP LOOKING. DO NOT STOP HERE. I promise you it is not worth the disaster that is working at Guidepoint. Do not feel discouraged. Look for a job that will stimulate you and allow you to develop your skill set and use your brain. You worked WAY too hard in college to settle for a job here! It's not worth it! You will spend your entire time at Guidepoint looking for a way out. If you're REALLY desperate for a job, I heard Guidepoint's expert network firm competitors at least have some respect for their employees. Look elsewhere and listen to these Glassdoor reviews.

To my former coworkers looking to leave Guidepoint: Do it! It is completely worth it. Your happiness is more important than it all and you WILL find something rewarding. You WILL find a company that values you and challenges your intellectual capabilities.

Do not fall for this trap. You are better than Guidepoint will ever be.

Advice to Management

Doesn’t matter—they definitely will not listen.

Oct 18, 2018 – Guidepoint Team

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate learning about your particular experience and are invested in ensuring a positive work experience at Guidepoint. We recognize that certain elements of the... More

"Unfulfilling employment and terrible management"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Guidepoint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beer on Fridays, laid-back dress code

Cons

Management, unrealistic expectations, business model, work ethics.

I spent a typical day at work inmailing and harassing people to join the network, working under unrealistic job expectations and with little to no guidance. They do not train their employees nor do they seem to value their employees at all. This is a sales job that was marketed as a research job and I was completely mislead when applying and joining. The lack of transparency continues throughout your career at Guidepoint.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter they won't change anything. This is why everyone leaves

Sep 24, 2018 – Guidepoint Team

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Our Associate, Client Service position focuses on making the right connections between our clients and experts from a variety of different... More

"Hours are too long!!"

I have been working at Guidepoint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The job itself
    -Lots of training provided

Cons

-LONG HOURS. Work is fro 8:45 til 6:30. You're literally in that place all day, many times you sit at your desk through your lunch break.

Advice to Management

"Summer Fridays" means you get to leave work at 12 and not 4pm. The hours are too long, and there's no work/life balance.

Aug 21, 2018 – Marketing Manager

Response
    Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad that you like the job and the training that is provided to our teams. In the US, office hours are until 6, but unfortunately some roles do require... More

"Unprofessional, sexist, disrespectful leadership"

I worked at Guidepoint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to be surrounded by unmotivated people who act like they are in college, this is a great fit!

Cons

I worked on the consulting team for 8 months. My experience at Guidepoint was ruined by the culture and leadership. The leaders of the consulting team are extremely unprofessional, sexist, disrespectful, and immature. Favoritism dominates (which caters to men), and this cycle unfortunately dictates the promotions on the team. When the leader and managers want someone’s attention, they will snap in their face and yell “you.” The environment is ridiculous and unprofessional. People openly chat about drinking as if they are still in college. The leadership is flawed, and it creates a terrible culture for the company.

Advice to Management

Promote people based on merit

Sep 25, 2018 – Guidepoint Team

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate learning about your particular experience and are invested in ensuring a positive work experience for all Guidepoint employees. Guidepoint has a strong... More

"Don't settle for comfort"

I worked at Guidepoint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relatively easy job, no one cares as long as you do your job properly.

Cons

No career path whatsoever
    No appreciation for job well done
    No clear guidance for operation
    Disorganized and unprofessional
    You will start to feel stupid after a month or two

Advice to Management

You wouldn't listen anyway

Aug 21, 2018 – Guidepoint Team

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your input, as we are dedicated to giving our employees the best experience at Guidepoint. Our Research Analysts (entry level role) focus on making the... More

9. "Client Service Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Guidepoint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the people I work with, fast paced environment but good if you want to stay busy and want opportunities to move up in a company. Really great culture and nice transition job out of college.

Cons

No cons as of right now

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

10. "Review"

I have been working at Guidepoint full-time

Pros

Good, engaged management. Good company.

Cons

No meaningful cons to report.