HC-One Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
HC-One Executive Chairman Dr. Chai Patel
Dr. Chai Patel

Pros
  • HC-One put the people that live with them first (in 19 reviews)

• I get to spend quality time with our residents and make a difference (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • But HC-One has been really innovative and are focusing on the recruitment and retention of nurses (in 11 reviews)

• senior managers interested only in their bonuses, very weak HR, profit is becoming the only interest of senior management (in 6 reviews)

"Senior Carer"

Former Employee - Senior Care Assistant
    Former Employee - Senior Care Assistant

I worked at HC-One (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free uniform, fob in clocking in system

Cons

No respect, or appreciation for staff, lack of managment support, pay scales below average, constant threats of disciplinary action and dismissal, reports of misconduct ignored, staff morale very low due to lack of support, high staff turn over

Advice to Management

Managers to be checked regularly, staff to be asked opinions of managment, high rate of dismissals from same homes to be investigated or a high rate of staff leaving to be asked why they wish to leave, Staff should be made to feel appreciated not replacable at any time

2. "Paper trail"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at HC-One part-time

Pros

Very caring attitude of all staff at all levels.

Cons

The uniform is a bright orange polo shirt with logo and black trousers as a nurse i found this hard to wear more fitting for B N Q no pockets for pens etc i worked hard to earn my uniform i hated this one. The paper trail is unbelievable so much, that hands on work and care is not undertaken due to form filling nd auditing. I would not work for this company again.

Advice to Management

Change the nurses uniform orange polo shirts made me feel sick i earned the right to wear my uniform with pride but loathed it also pockets are needed and the amount of unnecessary paper work is ridiculous.

3. "Very Happy"

Current Employee - Nurse in Wigan, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Nurse in Wigan, England (UK)

I have been working at HC-One full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kind caring staff, from all departments. Managers actually see the person rather than a number or looking good on paper.
    Great pay
    Fantastic personal development programme

Cons

The only thing I can say is not great is the colour of uniforms. Carers uniform is nice and looks very professional. The nurses and nursing assistants uniform is not complimentary and not practical as white can look unclean very quickly and can affect others perception of cleanliness and confidence in nurses if they don't look 100 % .

Advice to Management

Very proud to work for you and I hope you will be happy with my work and commitment to the company.

5. "No support. Overworked. No breaks. Management awful"

Current Employee - Senior Care Assistant
    Current Employee - Senior Care Assistant

I have been working at HC-One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Residents are great. Only work here as it's local to where I live and I love working in care.

Cons

No breaks. 3 staff for 40 high dependency residents at night. Management laugh and sneer about you to other staff they're "clicky" with if you try to speak to them. No support whatsoever. Promised further career prospects but management have absolutely no intentions of helping people progress. Poor practice and cross infection control horrendous!!

Advice to Management

Be more professional. Listen to staff. In fact! The present management need replacing for this place to be efficiently and properly run!

6. "Staff Nurse"

Current Employee - Lanarkshire in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Lanarkshire in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at HC-One (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best private social care companies I have worked for!
    Excellent promotion opportunities with clear cut progression pathways.

Cons

Long days.
    Cannot really think of anything else.

7. "I feel valued"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gloucester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gloucester, England (UK)

I have been working at HC-One full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

H C - One have made me feel valued as an employee from my first contact with them. They are a very structured company that have a great ethos and structured values.

Cons

I have not found any yet

8. "Heart in the right place"

I have been working at HC-One full-time

Pros

Never a dull moment! I'd say HC-One has it's heart in the right place. It has a feel of a small company and in my role, I'd say I can easily get to decision-makers. At times communication can be poor, but I'd say not deliberately. If you want to develop, HC-One invests heavily in L&D and it is definitely a company that will let you fly if you want to. It is a care company that genuinely wants the best experience for residents and does not tolerate poor practice.

Cons

Communication can be very poor. It changes really quickly, people are left feeling unsettled and sometimes unsupported. If you don't mind change then this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Communicate change better. Don't expect flexibility about working hours without being flexible in return.

9. "Great Company to work for !!!"

Current Employee - Home Manager in Doncaster, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Home Manager in Doncaster, England (UK)

I have been working at HC-One full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having read some of the other reviews on here about HC-One, I can only say as I find. I have been working for HC-One since they took over from Southern Cross (moving swiftly on !) and can honestly say that I have experienced some fantastic support from senior management and peers alike. My skills have been nurtured and encouraged over the years to the point where I am now the manager of my own little home and am working alongside some of the best carers who share HC-Ones' vision of providing the kindest care.

Cons

Sometimes the amount of paperwork/reports/audits that we have to complete can be time-consuming and over-whelming, but I do understand the reasons for it. The job can be relentless at times and on occasion the work-life balance tips in favour of work.

Advice to Management

Carry on giving support to us managers, nurture us and we will deliver every time. I understand that you all also have deadlines to meet and spreadsheets to complete, but sometimes I feel that occasionally we all need to just stop and smell the coffee for a minute or two.

"Home manager"

Current Employee - Home Manager in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Home Manager in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at HC-One (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company have been fantastic developing my skills from deputy to management, I am well supported in my role by my operations director. The company invests in the homes and the training programme we offer is miles ahead of any other care company. The company offer career progression and the nursing assistant programme is excellent for those amazing senior careers who want to develop their skills. i believe strongly in the ethos of hc-one and I am proud to work for them

Cons

I have had several line managers over the years, some consistency would be nice however I have been well supported whoever has been my manager

Advice to Management

Be as open and honest with us as we are with you.

"Amazing colleagues!"

I have been working at HC-One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with some amazing colleagues with a shared vision and a drive to provide high quality care. Genuinely want the best for residents.

Cons

As a relatively new company there is frequent changes to the organisation which can be unsettling