Hanna Instruments Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Martino Nardo

1. "The good, the bad, the ugly. Mostly good."

Current Employee - Multimedia Designer in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Multimedia Designer in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at Hanna Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exceptional co workers. Management that listens. Opportunity to grow, if you take the initiative to grow, a plethora of unmatched benefits aside from the.. wait for it...100% healthcare, the ability to express yourself without fear of losing your job, and really, an atmosphere of family.

If you're wondering to yourself why there are these recent negative reviews, it is important to note how young this workforce is, and not everyone has seen bad work environments for real.

But young workforce means a lot. The opportunity to be a part of growth, collaboration, and all around good times during and after work.

Cons

Long funnels; It can take a long time to get things through the proper channels at times, occasional down time when you're looking to run with something, having to endure the ramblings of 'anonymous' folks who haven't been in the game long enough to know how good it is, or simply can't find it in themselves to be grateful for what's in front of them. Attitude folks. It's what makes your day end well or sour.

Advice to Management

Take some of these negative reviews and evaluate the real atmosphere at Hanna. How are people doing? For the most part, it's pretty awesome. And keep it going. If anything I could recommend or request for change, it would be to unload more stuff on the employees that want it. If we're looking to sprint, let's find a way to get that moving. All in all, I'm thankful for the whole group entirely for the thoughtfulness and willingness to listen.

2. "Setting the Record Straight"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at Hanna Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I read these overly negative reviews and I feel responsible to set the record straight. I can only speak from my personal experience, and I am not trying to completely discredit other reviews, but I think overall they are exaggerated. My coworkers are some of the most talented people I have ever had the pleasure of working with. The healthcare is unbeatable. The company does, in my opinion, a good job of appreciating their employees with lunches, bonuses, parties, and Hanna gifts. The work that we do here does make a difference to the work, and is truly empowering. I never feel like my voice isn't heard, and I think hard work is valued. I won't lie and say that everyday is bliss, but I never worked at a job where this is the case. It's work, it's not supposed to be a pleasure cruise. I have no idea what people are talking about when they say the building is run down. The owner is pretty meticulous with upkeep and I have never seen any holes in the conference room.

Cons

Is everything negative written in the reviews entirely false? No. There is a grain of truth to some of what is said. Most jobs at Hanna are pretty dynamic and as a result, you might have to perform duties that are outside your "job responsibilities". I don't see this as a con, but as a chance for exposure and gaining valuable experience in other capacities. They are a little quick to change things without giving the initial structure a chance to be fruitful. Sometimes there is a lack of foresight, but we are moving in the right direction. The one thing I will admit to is that salaried employees can be taken advantage of at times. Flexibility only goes one way, where we must do extra work outside of business hours, but have to take time out for a doctors appointment and can't work from home in the event of severely inclement weather. Management is trying their best to make Hanna a happy, and profitable business, and sometimes extra work and tough decisions are a result of that, but that's their job!

Advice to Management

Continue listening to your staff who are making valuable suggestions. The idea of security is an important part of employee happiness and retention. Think everything out fully before you act. Flex time would be appreciated, but overall you are doing your best to meet the goals put into place.

Advice to employees, keep your head down and do your work. Stop worrying about everyone else and work towards your goals.

"Applications Engineer"

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Woonsocket, RI

Pros

Good environment with fun co-workers, the work was fun with .

Cons

Low pay and little chance for promotion. Also the CEO was the son of the founder and had a very entitled attitude.

5. "Great company with lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Outside Technical Sales Consultant in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Outside Technical Sales Consultant in Woonsocket, RI

Pros

The management does actually listen. This is a great place to start your sales career and there is a lot of opportunity to grow into management in your first few years. It is a young company and is willing to try new ideas. The products are of good quality and there is quite an install base and a reputation for value among various industries. I have and will continue to recommend people to work and purchase from them. Their health benefits are great.

Cons

I should start by saying that Hanna is in constant change and there is always the possibility that the following statement might not be of the same accuracy as it is upon my submition. They have over 3000 products and that can dilute your focus. I respect the cultural decision to treat every order with the same level of attention, however this is not a strategy that will lead to substantial commissions or the achievement of your budgetary goals. The territories are small with no more than a two hour radius of your home. Great on life but limiting on sales opportunity. This is done to encourage you to both provide better service to the customer and get you to uncover as much opportunity as you can find. This decision comes at a great cost to the company in both cost/coverage ratio and employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Thanks for listening. Great baIance of management and leadership. I believe that you would have better employee retention if you offered larger territories focused on your higher value products for qualified sales people to compete in terms of opportunities. I also understand that the company culture might not allow this.

"So much Experience in One Year"

Former Employee - Inside Technical Sales in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Inside Technical Sales in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at Hanna Instruments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Numbers speak louder than words, and this company can prove its numbers, and its growth. Everybody works not as a team but as a family. Employees work together to build each others knowledge base. Hanna cares more about getting the customer what they need rather than selling them the most expensive option. It teaches you ethics, and how to respect a customer without having to say "the customer is always right".

The sales position is highly valued at Hanna Instruments, and the Sales Manager is fair as can be.

I do not want it to sound Cliche, but as a first job fresh out of college, this position has diversified my background in many ways. I got to interact with a client from every industry you can think off.

You have the chance to shine at Hanna and prove yourself, because you have some managers who are willing to incorporate your ideas.

I can walk into any department in the company and ask my question, and i would be greeted with the biggest smile. I have friends who have worked at other companies, and they do not even know anyone else in the company but the people in there department.

Cons

I have to move on from Hanna Instruments to go back to school. I know that the knowledge i will carry with me from this position, will be my gateway to network with pretty much whomever i want.

There is always potential for growth for you as an individual at Hanna. It will improve your speaking skills, and most definitely your listening skills.

There are a few things that could be improved with the structure of how phone calls are handled, and maybe even the way territories are distributed.

I don't have much to say in the Cons section, and i am 100% not trying to make Hanna Look good. I am just being honest. The reason is because every time i think of a Con, i then remember that there is a manager assigned to this issue.

There are internal competitions going on right now to motivate employees, there are different projects assigned to groups that consist of different departments within the company. Experimenting, and going through the trial and error process is exactly the structure that Hanna Instruments is experiencing right now. It has taught me so much.

The only aspect that remains for why Hanna Is not a $100,000,000 company is because they do not have an outside sales rep nor an office in every state, and that is something they are working towards. Its just a matter of time.

Advice to Management

Keep going. You are making changes, and learning from your mistakes, and that will be the only way a company can grow, and succeed.

"Working for Hanna is..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at Hanna Instruments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

...AWESOME. Right now Hanna is on the right direction. The management is one the best I ever worked for in any company. Right now I feel like I am building a career than just coming to work. One of the main reasons is because of management investing in upgrades in software and caring about my professional growth. I have been with Hanna for 8 years so I do know what I am talking about not like some of the other comments of people that were only here for a year and don't know what a bad company to work for is.

The things I love about Hanna:
    • The people
    • Benefits
    • Diverse market reach
    Hanna helps improve everything from the taste of wine to the safety of our tap water.
    To me is so interesting to see the different ways that Hanna help people/companies in their testing needs.

Words can explain how AMAZING the benefits are!!!!

Cons

Management please stop the 100 meetings a day and take the time to work with your team to projects done.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Keep investing in people and software.

"Great People, Great Energy, Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI

Pros

I've been working at Hanna more than four years and over this time, the business strategy and culture have both undergone a major shift. Hanna has shifted away from a distributor-sales model to a sales model where we are directly interacting with our customers- this has created a huge demand on employees from every department to work together to support these customers. The resulting culture shift is one focused on teamwork, employee appreciation, and employee retention. Witnessing this change and having a voice and instrumental part in the customer experience has been extremely empowering and rewarding. The benefits package (health, dental, 401K, vacation, quarterly bonuses) is unbeatable.

Cons

The company is in a transitional period - meaning new things are happening and changing all the time, and things can happen pretty quickly. Sometimes the communication these changes can be lacking- but it is something the management team acknowledges and is constantly working on improving. If a slower paced, predictable position is more your taste, this might not be the company for you.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard! The investments you've made in your employees (success champion programs, employee recognition, monthly employee appreciation lunches, cross-departmental strategy meetings, quarterly company wide meetings) are paying off. Keep building those open lines of communication, we appreciate them.

"Let this put your mind at ease"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at Hanna Instruments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent support from management
    Freedom to think and share ideas
    Young works force that get along
    Forward thinking

Cons

Some creative processes go through a long funnel, but nothing is perfect, right?

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin on

"I genuinely like coming to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at Hanna Instruments (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is teamwork friendly. The people are what make work everyday interesting. There are a lot of good resources to help you thrive. The direct sales direction is turning out incredible growth.

Cons

There are a lot of products to know. It takes a long time to gather a working knowledge of the instruments in order to be effective at recommending the correct solution for customers.

Advice to Management

The employees are the bread and butter of the organization. As long as the employees are happy the goals will be easy to hit.

"Sorry Hanna!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at Hanna Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people. Products are good. Company buys lunch every month for its employees and they have a nice Holiday Party. I can't think of much more.

Cons

It is hard to explain in words. It is almost like you have to see it for yourself to believe. Read the reviews (not the contrived HR ones, but the others that are real) because they tell the story of what goes on there. It all starts with the owner who is a real jerk. He is mean and on a non-stop power trip. This attitude trickles down to his managers who I actually feel sorry for because they are scared of making the wrong move and getting fired. I have never seen so many people come and go in such a short period of time. It is clear that there is no career at Hanna and the only real benefit is the paycheck every two weeks. It is very sad because the products are good and the people are exceptional, but that does not make up for the horrible environment. I would not recommend this place to anyone, even if you are desperate. Keep looking and well past this place!

Advice to Management

The owner should work for another company who has a management training program so that he can learn to manage his own company. Or sell it and turn it over to a company that knows how to run a business and treat people fairly.