HarperCollins Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
HarperCollins President and CEO Brian Murray
Brian Murray

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free books, though this company will kill your love of reading" (in 25 reviews)

• "Great products and great people" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is not concerned with lower level employees or middle management and there is a great deal of dissatisfaction across the board" (in 7 reviews)

• "Upper management didn't care about us at all" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Temp"

I worked at HarperCollins full-time

Pros

Everyone is incredibly nice, helpful, and passionate about books.

Cons

Not many cons, since I was only in a temp capacity.

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at HarperCollins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great camaraderie among employees. Management has big vision and growth plans. I feel very optimistic about the future.

Cons

Difficult commute for people who live north of NYC.

3. "Excellent company, but large-scale corporate"

I worked at HarperCollins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people on the Harper team, excellent products and authors to work with, a culture that embraces new ideas

Cons

Very large company with a lot of decision makers and layers of management to work through. Innovation is often secondary to risk-aversion.

4. "I find this company to be a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Customer Support Manager in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Manager in Spokane, WA

I have been working at HarperCollins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, good work/life balance, good benefits

Cons

It's hard to think of any

5. "Creative and fast paced"

I worked at HarperCollins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with amazing authors and illustrators. Career advancement opportunities.

Cons

Restructures creating some layoffs a few years ago. Replacements not hired and remaining employees expected to pick up the workload.

Advice to Management

Communicate priorities.

"Huge issues with gender pay gaps and limited upward mobility for current employees"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at HarperCollins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of experienced, talented, and passionate people working here. You can learn a lot if you're willing to deal with some of the cons. People are genuinely excited about what they're working on.

There are different levels of medical benefits which provides flexibility.

Recently added paternity leave.

A couple times a year they will do company-wide book drops. Otherwise, you are entitled to one free e-book a week but hard copy book purchases are taken out of your team's budget. Sometimes they will provide a discount during the holidays.

It vastly ranges and depends on the team but generally, working hours are flexible so if you need to dip for an appointment or for your kids you can work from home within reason. There are some parents who work remote one day a week.

Vacation policy is generous 15 vacation days to start and 5 vacation days additional after 5 years. Everyone gets 5 personal days.

Cons

Big issues with pay parity across similar roles with similar work experiences. I found out I was making over 40% less than my male counterpart and Human Resources actively prevented my manager and I from raising my salary claiming I was at market rate.

Huge pay differences between junior and senior staff. The best way to make market rate here is negotiating hard when you join the company. Additionally, pay at the other publishers is generally higher than at HarperCollins.

Even though the company is vastly female there is not much female leadership. You will see the same older, white, males at the c-level. HarperCollins UK released a gender gap report which confirmed a pay gap between males and females.

There have been a couple restructurings and there was not transparency or communication from anyone so the fear of job security was in question for a lot of people.

They increased the level of vacation time but now, time is accrued monthly and days can no longer be rolled over.

Some teams are expected to be available on email after working hours.

Advice to Management

Seriously take a look at gender gap issues in the workplace. It's more important than ever and the company won't be able to sustain attracting great talent unless this issue is addressed. Alumni, friends, and others in my network reach out to me a few times a month to chat about HarperCollins and I've been actively steering them away from considering working here.

7. "Harper Collins review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at HarperCollins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great products and great people

Cons

To be honest it is hard to think of any

"If you aren't especially drawn to the book industry, you can do better."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at HarperCollins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HQ is between Fulton St & WTC, convenient to transit. Free books. Solid benefits.

Cons

Pay is low and project budgets stingy.

Owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.

Introverted, cliquey office culture conflicts with open office plan that turns employees into props to show off when trotting authors around.

9. "HarperCollins"

I have been working at HarperCollins full-time

Pros

great books, nice people, open floor plan.

Cons

general book publishing issues (slow to advance, top-heavy, not enough support)

"Worst publishing company"

I worked at HarperCollins full-time

Pros

Free books, though this company will kill your love of reading. After a couple years being beaten down here, your next job will be bliss since you'll have forgotten what it felt like to be respected and valued.

Cons

Salaries are low even by industry standards. You'll tell yourself you're passionate about books and it's just to get a foot into the industry, but it's hard to move between publishing companies and chances are you'll be here long enough to get a really good sense of how little respect upper management has for you.

You will work almost every evening and weekend and you will not be paid for it. Your commitment to your job will be constantly questioned. You'll be discouraged from even requesting overtime on the basis that doing so could prevent you from getting promoted. HR is aware that their entry-level employees are being overworked and that OT rules are abused. Do not work here if you want any semblance of a life outside the office.

Finally, it's a catty, stressful place to work, and there's a chronic morale problem. It's not uncommon to see people crying in the office. I could say much more but I don't want to waste any more time on this company than I already have.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like robots. You've acquired a bad reputation in the industry, and you're losing out on top talent.