HarperCollins Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 21, 2017

2.7

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HarperCollins (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by HR for a phone interview. I was given a follow up in-person interview with HR. The questions were all the usual things you'd expect to be asked when trying to work in publishing.

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HarperCollins in February 2017.

Interview

Talked on phone with HR about a month after applying online. After that chat they emailed to set up an in person interview the next week. Interview was incredibly informal and there were not many questions asked. Seemed more that they wanted me to lead the interview/give them the information they wanted

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at HarperCollins (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online, a day after received an email, Phone interview after 2 hours with HR, got my second interview in HarperCollins with someone else in HR. did not get the job. I sent two follow up emails, they got back to me after 10 days, was rejected.

Human Resources Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HarperCollins.

Interview

After a phone screen with the recruiter, I was scheduled for a phone interview with the hiring manager. Hiring manager called me 15 mins late, then seemed annoyed at having to interview me (I was giving decent answers - I have 8 years of experience), was told next steps were to finish phone interviews followed by on-site interviews the following week. I was told to "expect a call next week". I followed up with the recruiter twice with no response. 2 months later, still no response from them one way or the other and I see the job has been reposted a few times since then. Obviously I'm not the fit for them, however, I'm not sure if they know what they're looking for. There may be a concern with your hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Why do you have an interest in Harper Collins Christian Publishing?   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HarperCollins in June 2016.

Interview

I received an email from on of the hiring managers then we proceeded to schedule a time for our phone interview. Once the interview began the human resources manager was very friendly. I followed up the interview with a series of emails but received no response. I am unsure why my emails went unanswered, as I was told follow up emails were ok.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions she asked, what types of books am I interested in, was very important   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HarperCollins (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online and contacted by HR via email. Met with HR first, then with the editor I would be working under. Pretty standard interview. Make sure to research the books of the company, also be prepared to talk about what books you like to read/what you're reading now. They will ask for references. Each interview took about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Can you talk about a time you were stressed at work and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at HarperCollins (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Smooth process for the position overall. I heard about it through a reference, so I applied through the editor directly. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and it was pretty standard in terms of questions, none too tricky. It was more conversational than anything. I was asked to do a reader's report on a manuscript after.

A couple days later I had a phone interview with HR, which was quite short, about 10 minutes. Questions were asked quickly, almost as if it was off of a sheet. A little weird, but not bad per se.

The offices are beautiful by the way.

Subsidiary Rights Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HarperCollins (Nashville, TN) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a call within a week. I did one phone interview with someone in HR for 30 min- this interview focused directly on my work experience and my skills. Two days later, I had another 30 minute phone interview with the person I would be working directly under. This phone interview focused on the job responsibilities and how my skills and experience fit into that. The following week, I was called in for a 2 hour behavioral interview. This interview focused on how I would react/or have reacted in certain situations.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of your problem solving abilities.   Answer Question
    • When have you had to overcome a huge obstacle in the workplace and what did you do?   Answer Question

Assistant Publicist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HarperCollins.

Interview

I submitted my resume on the online portal and scheduled a phone interview with the Human Resources Department. After I was notified that I would be scheduled for an in-person interview with the supervisor of the position I was applying for.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HarperCollins (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

First there was a quick phone screen with HR, a month or so after I applied online. This was pretty easy, but I missed the first call and had to call back a number of times over several days to get in touch with the woman who called me. A few days later I received an email from an Editorial Assistant, with whom I set up an appointment for the following day. There were some scheduling problems, so they needed to reschedule about 40 minutes before the originally scheduled time. The interview itself was over the phone with an Executive Editor and his assistant. It was pretty casual, and about 30 minutes long. They described the position, asked some normal interview questions, and that was it. A few days later I got a call from HR stating that they chose someone else.

Interview Questions

• How would you assess a submission for success in the market? What would you bring to the company? What do you plan to do after graduation.   Answer Question