Haug Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

Edgar H. Haug

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Haug Partners full-time

Pros

I have been with the company for a few years now and have always felt valued as an employee. Management rewards and promotes good work ethic. Everyone here is extremely friendly and helpful - we all work as a team.

Cons

Can't think of anything.

"A 50/50 Experience"

I worked at Haug Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-There are some phenomenal partners at the firm. They are a joy to work for, and they are beyond appreciative of the time and effort put in by their support staff.
    -Associates are usually very helpful and willing to work with the support staff during arduous projects and long nights.
    -Great benefits
    -Centrally located in NYC

Cons

-Not a whole lot of opportunities for upward movement.
    -Not a lot of women partners, or women in leading roles.
    -Not very diverse in roles senior to supporting staff.
    -There is a "boy's club" type interaction within the higher ranking attorneys.

"Attorney"

I worked at Haug Partners full-time

Pros

Attorneys get good experience early; talented attorneys

Cons

The partners are unprofessional and attorneys and staff are regularly forced to listen to their inappropriate comments as well as their racist, sexist or political diatribes. The firm is terrible for women. The firm's "Executive Committee" has no women on it. In fact, the firm only has three partners who are women (two of whom recently made partner coincidentally after the firm was ranked "worst place for women to work." Women have been sexually harassed with no recourse and maternity leave policies are terrible. Men, however, are not even offered paternity leave at all. No respect or flexibility is given for attorneys who have families including young children.

Associates are often forced to work in ways that are not consistent with their own working styles Partners act like they "own" their teams of attorneys, not allowing them to work in their offices, but rather forcing them to sit all day in a conference room together. This is terribly inefficient for legal writing, research and other tasks that require deep concentration and ideally quiet. Attorneys are constantly disturbed and thus routinely work nights and weekends when they can finally work in peace.

The partners generally promote inefficient billing of their clients. Entire teams are asked to participate in every meeting and call, resulting in exorbitant bills for work that could have simply been handled by one or two attorneys. Partners don't have the attention span to review work product or brainstorm strategy on their own, so instead the attorneys must sit through hours of partners reviewing their drafts or thinking aloud (rather than doing their own work and resulting in numerous attorneys billing just to watch the partner doing what he should be doing on his own time).

Finally, firm policies are paternalistic and patronizing. Attorneys may work from home only under the most extreme circumstances, not even being allowed to do so when they are sick. Sick days and vacation days are taken out of the same pool. Employees routinely come to work sick so that they do not need to use a PTO day. There is no accommodations allowed for life outside of the firm.

Advice to Management

Show your employees a little respect. Listen to their cares and concerns. Be a little more flexible. Right now this is a place to work but not a place to make a career.

4. "Good"

I have been working at Haug Partners full-time

Pros

This is a good place to work

Cons

None to share right now.

5. "Happy Employee"

Pros

- I hear thank you every day
    - I've been able to move up from my original position
    - I'm treated fairly
    - Good benefits
    - Nice people
    - There is always someone to talk to if you need assistance
    - 2 staff office parties a year

Cons

I personally can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Advice to anyone reading. When you find a firm where the people are nice, you feel appreciated and they treat you fairly, you stay.

"Satisfying place to work."

I worked at Haug Partners full-time

Pros

Great location and interesting staff. Modern decor and beautiful views.

Cons

Some departments are micromanaged with little focus on the actual mission. There are a lot of egos here. Computer Systems seem antiquated. When there are problems there is a tendency to overreact instead of keeping a steady hand on the issue and addressing it.

7. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Haug Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and time off, and fellow staff members and attorneys are friendly and easy to work with. You need to be a self-starter and take initiative here, which gives you an opportunity to learn a lot, and develop leadership and time management skills. That being said, there is always support when you need it. I find that every day is a little bit different and I value the learning experience and excitement of the job on a daily basis. Lots of opportunity for growth too.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

"Attorney"

Current Employee - Attorney in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Attorney in New York, NY

I have been working at Haug Partners full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The firm has a great work environment. It is very much a work-hard, play-hard mentality. Plus, the work is interesting and you get a lot of responsibility at a young age.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

9. "Services Clerk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Haug Partners full-time

Pros

Room to try things and build your resume

Cons

Management is rigid and unimaginative

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

10. "Second family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

There is a great atmosphere of teamwork and family, while at the same time giving the opportunity to learn from some of the top lawyers in the business. Interesting, diverse clientele and business is only growing with the recent patent reforms.

Cons

Need to expand/acquire to become a bigger name in IP world in order to make potential clients realize FLH is a premier, top-tier IP firm.