Hawk Ridge Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Dale Ford

1. "Miss this place"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Hawk Ridge Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Work Culture. One Big family. Management genuinely cares about you.

Cons

Raises were minimal. I still miss this place.

Thanks for sharing!

2. "Nice introduction to Design Sotfware Sales"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at Hawk Ridge Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company allows a sales person to come in prove themselves and work their way up though the ranks. Salary is average but the commission opportunities easily balance out.

Cons

Territories are regional and when working ones way up the ranks it could be tough waiting for one to open up.

Advice to Management

Promote internally.

May 10, 2017 – HR Manager

Many employees don't know this but I have been here for seven years and have seen that the only time we hire from the outside is when we need a specific skill set: someone who has managed education ... More

3. "A great way to grow in your mastery of Solidworks"

Current Employee - Solidworks CAD Tech Support Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Solidworks CAD Tech Support Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Hawk Ridge Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team is great, everyone's supportive and friendly and everyone's working together to solve problems and help one another. If you're looking for a place to hone your skills as a drafter, CADer or just looking to improve yourself with Solidworks CAD, this job will help you IMMENSELY.

Cons

Wasn't incredibly impressed with the amount of benefits given to employees and the salary when compared to the housing costs of the Mountain View/Sunnyvale area is just barely enough to keep you afloat. Also, working in technical support, especially with a software as complicated as Solidworks can lead to some extremely frustrated customers calling in and taking out their anger on you.

Advice to Management

Keep on having an open lane of communication with the tech support team and continue to listen to inputs from both management and the engineers on the phone to make the most informed decision possible.

"Don't do it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orinda, CA

I worked at Hawk Ridge Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for any other company becomes an easy thing to do. Giving 2 weeks notice and leaving was a very relieving experience (never felt that good about leaving any company)

Cons

Like someone else said, this place reminds you of "Office Space". Horrible benefits, bad pay, idiotic policies, micromanagement, favoritism, no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Stop posting fake reviews.

May 10, 2017 – HR Manager

Different people can have very different experiences in the same company, and even in the same office of that company. Our employee survey results definitely tell a different story. I hope you found ... More

6. "Sales"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Hawk Ridge Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Atmosphere, Schedule, Flexibility.. I came from a different reseller and Hawk Ridge is night and day better than where I came from. Sales is a tough gig but if you work hard and ask for help in the areas you need to improve on, you will have no choice but to succeed. It's common knowledge.

Cons

No 401k match. I understand a lot of companies don't do this anymore but I am a big contributor to my retirement. It would absolutely help a lot.

Advice to Management

There have been a lot of good changes recently in terms of transparency and ideas of where the company is headed.. Gets me and everyone else excited. Hopefully it continues and some of the big ideas become reality.

Sep 15, 2016 – HR Manager

401k match is now in place! Thanks for your patience.

7. "Keeps getting better"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hawk Ridge Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with, Free lunch each month, room for growth if you work hard, dont have to work weekends
    When I started a few years ago mgt was questionable at best, figured I would put in a year then be out and find a new job, after six months the manager was let go new manager is great lets you do things your way as long as you are working hard and will give you good advice.
    CEO is looking towards the future and where the company will be in 3&5 years, understands the world is changing and you have to change with
    So far I am really enjoying the job and hope it keeps getting better

Cons

no matching 401K; coffee sucks; occasionally have to work through lunch; can only take time off on slow months

WAY to many non work email chains

Advice to Management

Keep doing the quarterly meeting to let us know what is going on, match the 401K, hire more support staff

May 10, 2017 – HR Manager

401k match now in place! Employees are fully vested in four years! :-D Thanks for the comment about the email chains. Definitely something to look into.

"1980's style CAD sales with lack of care for employees"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Orinda, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Orinda, CA

I have been working at Hawk Ridge Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Hawk Ridge consistently wins awards for top SolidWorks reseller in the world.
    - Social Engineers can succeed here and launch into other careers. the most outgoing engineer with a willingness to go the extra mile for demonstrations, blog posts, beta testing, etc. seems to do better on yearly reviews.

Cons

Most salespeople and management are low-quality, ego-driven, insecure, impulsive, untrained, lack career mobility, lack critical forms of leadership, uneducated, and function as babysitters.

With the exception of certain teams, there is a culture of apathy, lack of teamwork, zero interest in quality, and absolutely no accountability.

-NO 401K MATCHING.
    - HR violations will happen daily, and HR is a complete joke
    - you still force 43 year old adult men/women to share cheap hotel rooms on business trips
    - management team is over their heads.
    - Work is a depleting, dispiriting experience. Management believes people are motivated by $10 starbucks gift cards, slang terms muttered to customers while the phone is on mute, and drinking in the parking lot is fine as long as your hitting your numbers. Its not, people notice.
    - offices are dusty relics of the 1990’s. Quit getting cheap on everything

Advice to Management

- Stop hiring complete losers as salespeople. Moral is at an all time low, and customers are noticing – but these cases have not been reported.
    - Ask questions like “what can we do to make your job easier?” of your employees.
    - Create an actual culture. The $50 you give to the winner of Halloween contest once a year is not culture.
    - Quit the cheap spiffs which are insulting for professionals. $50 for bugs in a beta contest? $50 for making 100 calls today? Are you serious?
    -Allow employees to share in the success. No one wants to sit and listen how rich the owners are. Employees want to learn how the next year of their lives are going to be better, have some hope they can pay their car payment, and stash money away their kids college tuition. How about the ability to invest in the company after a certain number of years of service?
    - Allow life to happen. People need a vacation in September? Figure a way to make it work. People want to spend the 23rd or 26th of December with their families? Make it work. People appreciate the little things.

FYI - STOP ALLOWING MARKETING TO POST FAKE REVIEWS. You wouldn't have to if you made changes to the company, right?

Sep 15, 2016 – HR Manager

"HR violations" is not really enough information for us to take action but I have two thoughts: first, I rely on employees to let me know what is going on. All reported issues are investigated, but ... More

9. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Orinda, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Orinda, CA

I have been working at Hawk Ridge Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The company is picking up more and more products and they have a clear direction in where they're going.
    -The CEO regularly meets with the staff and answers any questions the employees may have
    -They are growing not only in product but in the community as well
    -The people are brilliant to work with and the office is always fun
    -Work life balance is FANTASTIC

Cons

-The pay is a bit low, but that may change soon

May 10, 2017 – HR Manager

People who have worked in companies where they were expected to work or be on call 24/7 would agree with you. I am one of those people!

"Marketing is posting positive reviews to balance negative reviews"

Current Employee - Anon in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anon in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hawk Ridge Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks. People. Convenient locations. Should not require twenty words if there are not twenty pros. Out of pros. There are few.

Cons

Marketing is posting positive reviews to counter negative posts. Shady.

Pay. Management. HR.

Advice to Management

Need a real HR team.

May 10, 2017 – HR Manager

Only one manager asked one employee to share a review because people who are unhappy are more likely to post than happy people, and was hoping for some balance. That manager realizes that that was a ... More

"Beware..."

I worked at Hawk Ridge Systems full-time

Pros

You can earn bonuses but really there aren't any Pro's.

Cons

A lot of favoritism. Not a lot of raises. They will talk behind your back so beware. HR is lazy and will tell you to do everything yourself when getting help with insurance benefits or otherwise.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism. Reprimand lazy sales reps.

Sep 15, 2016 – HR Manager

Ouch. When people ask I explain that we are always on the lookout for tools that increase accuracy and efficiency and that has led to employees doing more things on their own. The fewer hands that ... More